WAYNE COUNTY GOVERNMENT Employee Reviews

No raises in years
JDS (Former Employee) –  JDFWCJuly 13, 2018
I don't know what is going on with Wayne County but they need to increase everyone's wages. People work their butts off and barely see their families for a wage that has been stagnant for many years. Then they talked about a raise of forty cents, like its such a great deal. The raise should at LEAST be about $5 more...YES $5 MORE. Thats how long its been since a raise has happened.
A Learning culture
Police Corporal (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 27, 2018
Be able to adapt and adjust your life style. Example: long work hours and many middle managers. This can be a downfall,I have seem favoritism in promotion and job placement.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low starting pay
Worst County For Benefits
Social Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 24, 2018
County jobs were once highly sought after for their security and benefits. The environment is very hostile and a host to favoritism. The benefits are unaffordable and unusable. I have to use my yearly "Bonus" to put into my HSA just to cover my astronomical deductible. Neighboring counties offer thousands per year for employees to further their education and grow their families, but Wayne County is nothing like that.
Pros
vacation days, personal business days, bereavement leave
Cons
No maternity/paternity, no tuition reimbursement, high level of responsibility, low salary
Interesting and enlighting
Account Receivables Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 19, 2018
I enjoyed working for Wayne County in every department. I learned a lot and was able to enhance my skills and educational desires. I would work for Wayne County again.
Pros
Excellent Pay & Benefits
Cons
No Cons
n/a
Wayne co sheriff department (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, MSDecember 29, 2017
There is not quite two jobs alike. This particular job was very demanding. One most up hold the upmost positive attitude this is necessary for dealing with the public. Maintaining the goal of insuring that persons house in facility safety, security and privacy is not invaded and maintained to the highest level of personally.
Good place
Animal Control Officer II (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 27, 2017
Great place to work , I️ have thoroughly enjoyed working here. Could use some slight changes but not many complaints. I️ would recommend this job to a friend.
Pros
1 hour lunch, Generaly work 4 ten hour shifts
Cons
Pay doesn’t match other counties, on call for 1 week at a time, only 4 officers plus a cheif officer to cover all of the County and cities included
Wayne County Government
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2017
The work load was not overwhelming or hard, if you had mastered the tasks you were assigned. Years ago, Wayne County was recognized as a good and stable place to work, where you eventually could retire with a decent pension. However, over the years, that has changed considerably. I enjoyed working with my co-workers, who were dedicated and supportive of each other. I would contend that the hardest part working at Wayne County was the constant change. Employees, who had years of service started retiring due to budget cuts and politics.
Pros
co-workers, pension, work hours
Cons
pay cuts, no raises, politics
Bad environment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 31, 2017
Very stressful and just not worth it. You will be ordered to work extra shifts with no notice, and the union is bought and paid for! The inmates are the least stressful thing about this ridiculous crooked crime ridden county.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
No life, terrible environment
Secretarial duties
Administratiive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 8, 2017
I was responsible for all flyers, letters, etc., for the various programs that MSU Extension held. I enjoyed traveling to the college campus monthly for our manager's meetings. I assist with the EFNEP/FNP programs, horticulture classes, fishing programs at palmer park. All the above was on a yearly basis.
Pros
free parking
Cons
complicated employees
Enjoyed working downtown
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 21, 2017
A typical work day is very busy, learned to provide better customer service, work culture very diverse, hardest part of the is working double time on Sundays and holidayspecial, and the most enjoy learning part of the job is working with great coworkers.
Pros
Health benifits, life insurance policy, retirement package
Cons
Havent had in over 10 years
A low source
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 10, 2017
The job is great , but needs to give employees raises. Wayne County benefits havs drop in the last year of 2016 due to the failure of Wayne County CEO.
Worst sheriffs dept in michigan
Deputy (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 3, 2017
treat you like trash, pay you like poverty level wages and expect you to bust you butt just to get ordered to the next shift several time a week. supervisors are not people who worked in a jail setting and make rules that do not make sense then want you to kiss their butt! wayne county has been robbed of so much, that there is nothing good left to offer.....go elsewhere unless you just want to say you worked as a police officer and that is if youre already certified!
Pros
might make a friend or 2
Cons
everything mentioned in my review
Dont do it!
Wayne county (Current Employee) –  Wayne county sheriffFebruary 27, 2017
Horrible hours, horrible pay, inmates treat you better then the shift command and some staff does. Command treats the inmate better then the officers.
Pros
A job
Cons
To many to list
Too heavy work load, too little money.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 9, 2016
Very stressful work environment. Employees are not respected at all.
Cameras monitor every move you make. Work is very tedious and boring. Not worth it!!!
Pros
Greektown
Cons
Cost of parking anywhere is high.
Knowledgeable and Insightful Position
Pretrial Release Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJuly 27, 2016
The position was knowledgeable and insightful but the leadership of the center left something to be desire. I gained knowledge in what I learned through the court system and enjoyed the clients I served but the leader of the center was eradicate and unstable.
Pleasant place to work. Have worked with some good people.
Deputy Registrar (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJanuary 15, 2016
Good place to work if you are people oriented and you like to help others. I feel that I am very good at my job and it is because I am constantly learning new things about the funeral business and the importance of timely & accurate handling of paperwork for the families involved.
Pros
Convienent location and hours. No week-end work.
Cons
Pay not compatable with surrounding counties.
exasperating and difficult
Roads (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MINovember 16, 2015
Different pay scales combined with crummy benefit packages makes life difficult. Friend of the court is a nightmare to deal with. Find another place to work. Too many people there only for a paycheck.
Pros
Great city life
Cons
Can you say corruption?
Wayne County is located in Southeast Michigan
Long Time Employee (Current Employee) –  City of DetroitOctober 21, 2015
A large county with the City of Detroit as it's hub. It includes several other townships and cities with diverse cultures. Wayne County employees serve the public to make the county a great place to live, work and visit.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport, Over 3 professional golf courses including 1 with an "up north" feel. This is the home of legendary sports teams such as the Detroit Tigers, Red Wings, Lions and Pistons. Wayne County is home to several universities and community colleges.
It is a great place to work offering wonderful benefits, health insurance, PTO, retirement, holidays.
Pros
Excellent union membership, breaks, paid time off, offices located in exciting areas of city.
Good place to work. Excellent benefits
Home Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INApril 17, 2015
I enjoy my position with Wayne County Government. This positions allows me to encourage offenders to change behaviors while being a positive role model, to those wanting to change, and allows them to have a positive experience on their re-entry into the community. I have learned to effectively use reward and sanctions with offenders. The bond with my co-workers makes the work place more enjoyable. The most enjoyable part of this position, for me, is the interaction positive interactions with my clients.
Pros
Excellent benefits, supportive and encouraging supervisor
Cons
pay compared to experience. Lacks advancement opportunity