Wayne State University Employee Reviews

Good organization...
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 16, 2019
Decent organization however, WSU is playing catch up in terms of program offerings, compared to other universities like U of M and MSU. Compensation and work environment could be better.
Diverse learning, teaching, and research environment
GRADUATE RESEARCH + TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Wayne County, MIFebruary 3, 2019
What I enjoy most about living in Detroit and going to an urban university is the diversity of the environment, particularly the student body. I am cosmopolitan at heart and truly cherish the opportunity to engage with as diverse a people and an experience as possible, which fortunately both Detroit and Wayne State University are able to provide me.
A fun and easygoing job.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 1, 2019
Working at Wayne State was good experience to a first job. It included working with children and being able to have the ability to teach and learn more
Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 19, 2019
Overall a very good place to work with a very generous benefits package. Excellent Public Safety Department allows students, staff and guest to feel safe on campus at all times.
Peer Mentor
PEER MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 15, 2019
Working as a peer mentor was an eye-opening experience to the thrills of educating students on basic English principles, as well as learning the reward of helping teach others.
College campus atmosphere
Office Assistant Senior/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2019
At that age and being in college at the time, the atmosphere was perfect. However, I wasn't able to finish because my position didn't allow enough time to complete day courses necessary for graduation.
Productive and Fun workplace
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2019
A typical day at work: Arriving at work by 8:30 am. After that an employee is excepted to either meet with students in regards to solving financial aid issues or complete processing different types of paperwork such as verification, satisfactory academic progress appeals and aggregate loan limits. I have learned a great deal of tasks at my position. Management is wonderful and understand your needs in order to perfect your job. The workplace culture is fun and caring. The hardest part about this job is the beginning of the fall and winter semesters because the university gets a very large amount of students coming in all at once asking for their financial aid to be completed. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that at the end of the day you manage to help students and the wonderful reactions you get from helping them.
Pros
Thoughtful and Understanding Managers
Cons
work/life balance
Good Overall employer
Accounting Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 7, 2019
If you are looking to complete studies while working great tuition reimbursement. Management not flexible. Great healthcare benefits. Great 401K take advantage.
Good University
BSC Nutrition and Food Science- Student (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 23, 2018
Good University and good programs at university, multi culture, friendly place, good teachers, helpful staff, friendly students, good learning experience.
Math tutor
Undergraduate Assistant Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 19, 2018
I was a math tutor at Wayne state. While there I assisted the staff and students by answering questions and completing the daily tasks to maintain the facility
A learning and productive atmoshphere
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 14, 2018
Assisting the professor/lecturer with the class note preparing, correcting students work.
Doing research in the construction management area particular safety and project management.
Great experience
Film Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 13, 2018
This was a great job opportunity at the time. I was able to work while attending classes at the University. My fellow employees were my classmates and my managers were my professors. There was a great feeling of accomplishment in the days work.
Pros
wonderful work environment, great management and training, a pleasure to work there.
Cons
part time hours, not enough for sole income.
Great environment
Graphic Design TA (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 11, 2018
Great atmosphere and people who work and use the lab. Very flexible with hours and easy to cover shifts when need be. Very chill and relaxing. Expands your knowledge in the Design department
General fund budget development
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2018
Prepared annual general fund budget for University. Developed skill in fund accounting and budget development. Honed tech skill by being a participant of team which automated the budget process and decentralized development of annual budget to individual schools and colleges across the university.
Pros
Opportunity for skill development- verbal, writing skills, tech skills
Cons
Stressful culture
Good Place to work, coworkers and management are not always great
Sleep Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2018
Where I work is very competitive and it has created a poor job environment. However other places in the university are great to work in. The promises for the future are not always great, but the added benefits are awesome.
Pros
free classes
daily task
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 1, 2018
I HAVE to take a lab session and help students to learn the course more deeply.
I have graded the students and upload the results in Unversity system so that prof and students can look into
Pros
improve my knowledge
Cons
need to devote more time
Part time research assistant
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 26, 2018
Being a research assistant for Wayne State University was a great flexible job and allowed me to network with faculty at the university. Hours were great for students and pay was fair for the skills required for the job.
Pros
Flexible hours, networking opportunities
Student Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 21, 2018
Provided information and items to help promote safety on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods. Assisted AmeriCorps with many community projects such as boarding up abandoned houses and many other efforts.
Pros
Pride in helping to protect
Cons
Worked in extreme weather conditions
Loved it!
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 15, 2018
WSU is a fantastic place to work. There are a ton of opportunities to advance and grow. Considering all that's going on around WSU, more students are enrolling just to be in the atmosphere—it's become the place to be.
Morale is excellent; Work environment is very engaging
Telemarketer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 14, 2018
I engage with various alumni from Wayne State University. This distinguish group include doctors, lawyers, sport stars and entertainers. These are some of the most generous individuals I have ever met.
Pros
meeting new people;
Cons
short work hours