WebMD Employee Reviews

Perfectly decent
Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2018
In an imperfect way.

It was nice at first, but the management became very stodgy and unhelpful.

Ultimately it is a fine place to work, though I would not necessarily recommend it.
Pros
Free food, medical know-how.
Cons
Doctors.
overworked
Coordinating Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
If you're just starting out and need to gain experience than this is the place for you. The work/life balance is very poor. Not enough staff to complete all of the work.
Pros
working from home
Cons
poor management, weekend work, not enough staff
Excellent balance and focus
Product Manager and Chief Researcher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 17, 2018
Highly entrepreneur and service provider of consumer health analytics, benefit information, and insurance/hospital investigation. Wellness and bioinformatic solutions to employers well designed.
Pros
culture, focus, clarity
Cons
slight management obstruction
Company had its good and not so great points.
Faciliries Manager (Former Employee) –  HQMay 7, 2018
Company was operating at a time dotcoms were going through a few issues and survival was a major topic. But the company managed to pull through and become a significant player in the field.
Great job for cashing in -- at the beginning, anyhow.
families and senior citizens writer (Former Employee) –  From a home office in Big Bear City, aliforniaMay 4, 2018
When WebMD first hit the Internet, the pay was incredible. I made in a week what I was making in a month at other publications. That first year, I wound up with income tax problems. I eventually learned that start-up cash was virtually unlimited because the planning was for WebMD to become the nation's quickest prescription service in additional to carrying articles about health and medicine,
Pros
Writing eye-opening articles like people who take animal meds.
Cons
There were none.
Real Estate Is no longer there
Contracts Planner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 3, 2018
The Real Estate Dept. is no longer is existence. It is now outsourced and there is really nothing of value for me to say about this company as real estate there is no longer in existence.
Relaxed and amenity laden work environment
Facilities Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2018
WebMD is a relaxed work environment. With many amenities to (attempt) making the employees pleased and comfortable.

The people are talented and dedicated. Producing quality work. Full of impaactful medical information.

An overall awesome place to work.
Pros
open office environment; food; extensive coffee selection
Cons
Unappreciatve employees; poor managers
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2018
I enjoyed working there, great atmosphere and with fun people. Unfortunately its difficult to move from a contracting role to full time, but I would work there again if I had the opportunity.
Had good opportunities for learning on new PM methodologies
Sr. Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 14, 2018
Environment was collaborative and supportive of learning and implementing new technologies & tools.
Learnt more on project management here than at any other place.
Pros
Work-lifebslance
Cons
Contractors were asked to go
I prefer not to comment
EDI Programmer/analyst, Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 3, 2018
1. I would prefer to keep my comments to myself, I do not wish to comment on this section.

No comments will be provided this is not applicable to the job
WebMd as a whole great company
HRIS HR Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elmwood Park, NJMarch 12, 2018
WebMD as a whole a fantastic company, they give the best to their employees , generous company. Although my particular department did not recognize growth, development , basically it was a dead end position. Good employees
Pros
Generously good to their employees, tools culture, benefits, Employee Incentives
Cons
My dept was a failure of poor management unexperienced out dated work performance
Excellent work experience
Vice President of Transaction Systems (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 23, 2018
Challenging and exciting place to work. Over several years was able to consolidate 6 applications into a single application. This consolidation provide a re-occurring saving of over 25 million dollar per year.
Sad, Sad, Sad place to spend your waking hours....
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2018
First off - please be aware that employees are "strongly encouraged" to post positive reviews about WebMD by their managers and the HR department even if they feel otherwise. Hence the plethora of high rating scores and positive reviews.
Second - A typical day is positive because your co-workers are generally great. Then comes ridiculous management "course corrections". And the "'do it my way because I said so" or the other extreme, "figure it out" directives. That's the culture. Management support? Nah. Human Resources? Both literally and figuratively, don't go there...
Third - many years ago WebMD was an up and coming trendsetter in the ad/online medical advice industry. HOWEVER, those days have long since passed. Companies can, and WebMD did, get stuck in a business model that once worked. But as they grew, silos got formed and bureaucracy took over. Management levels increased, "territories and empires" were coveted and then technology suffered. Good managers left, the dregs stayed.
Fourth and most distressing - WebMD has a history of executive level changes and staff reductions, layoffs and re-orgs. In the last year the take over by KKR Internet Brands was expected and of course the resulting layoffs were devastating especially because it was around the holidays. Morale that couldn't go any lower, did.
I wanted so much to spend a good amount of my career at WebMD. But had to leave due to the atmosphere. Yes, it looks good (for now) on a resume and is good as your first job out of school. But for someone who has experience you'll be stifled and soon looking to bail.
  more... Luckily the job market is good and your don't have to take a job here because you need it. Find job satisfaction elsewhere!  less
Pros
Great co-workers, good coffee, nice office space, free water.
Cons
Too much management infighting especially after IB takeover.
False Sense of Job Security
Clerk (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 15, 2018
Fun atmosphere but no loyalty from upper management. Layoffs quite frequent and without conscience on management's part . Cut throat methods of eliminating jobs. If looking for secure employment, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun Place to Work, Good Pay, Casual Culture
Cons
Frequent Layoffs, No Loyalty from Upper Management
Room for growth
EDITOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2018
I was promoted from an administrative position (receptionist) to an Editor in about six months at WebMD. I learned a great deal and was working towards moving up the rungs. Unfortunately, I got caught in the net of company wide lay-offs after a new owner took over.
A very tired leadership that is trading solely on brand recognition
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2018
Tired Leadership. more concerned about maintaining the status quo. Poor planning. Poor management all around. No long terms strategy or focus. Poor management
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Salary, management, leadership...uuughh!!!!
fun environment that cares about its employees
Web Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2018
The company recently transferred from public to private and while upper management has taken away some nice perks like free yogurts and bagel Fridays, the teams and immediate managers are still incredibly kind and fun, so it's hard to feel too bummed.

Excellent work-life balance and they allow you to work from home often if you need to. Sometimes there's after-hours work but not a lot.

Teamwork and cooperation is highly valued, and there's lots of open communication between teams. Critique is common but not cruel or mean-spirited, always geared towards making the team more efficient and not doubling up on work unnecessarily.

I can't speak to benefits or some comp, as I'm a contracted employee, but pay is fair for my experience and position.

Office is sunny, generally kept a good temperature which is hard to come by, and even when there's a lot of work you don't feel too stressed. Hopefully upper management makes a good effort to maintain the company atmosphere.
Pros
Pizza wednesdays, great coffee machines, great location, friendly office
Cons
bagel fridays seem to have ended :(
Disorganized mess with terrible technology, but relaxed
Revenue Content Publisher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2018
As a publisher the job was almost impossible to do. Project managers were completely incompetent. Account mangers made impossible promises.

Virtually everyone in the company is fresh out of college who's only experience with the internet is through facebook on their phone.

If you can tolerate idiots, mismanagement, undefined products, an unresponsive CMS, then by all means, this is a great company.

If you hate working and just want to surf social media all day, then WebMD is for you!
Pros
Great pay and incentives
Cons
Incompetency all across the board.
Short but sweet
Video Migration manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2018
I had a short stint with them, from what I experience it was a decent environment, little to much bureaucracy, felt like a place was a perfect example of having meeting to schedule meeting. But overall I enjoyed the environment.
Solid benefits and pay
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
Company has had solid reputation for years. But the technology deficit has caught up with the company, leaving it behind upstart Venture Capitalist-funded companies that has the newest, shiniest online tools. Benefits and pay are solid. Being bought by private equity firm has some feeling uneasy about their future employment.
Pros
pay, benefits, fresh fruit, in-house treadmills
Cons
uncertainty of future