Weedmaps

Weedmaps Employee Reviews

United States25 reviews
Exciting Product and Possibilities but Wild Wild West Environment
Fantastic ideas and super smart people but start-up growing pains and a harsh learning curve. I hope leadership finds a vision they believe in and commit to so as a team, everyone can drive in that direction.
Fantastic place to work and grow, with lots of talented and passionate people. Culture is relaxed with lots of teams being able to work remotely a good portion of the time, and free lunch every day doesn't hurt.
Amazing work culture
Very fast paced environment, lots of opportunity to learn. Everyone is extremely hardworking and inspiring. Moving up within the company can be extremely difficult which is the main con of this company.
Disaster of a company
Hands down the worst most toxic company I have ever worked for. Do yourself a favor and save your time, money & sanity and DO NOT work there. They look great on paper, but that’s just to entice you in. I had virtually no face time with my “boss.” Insane amount of internal conflict and backstabbing amongst staff (who are also extremely judgmental.) Not to mention you have “leadership” who have no idea what they’re doing. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL.
Smile
Weedmaps was a fun place to work and meet like-minded people who are passionate about cannabis. Positive experience despite abrupt ending. No bad vibes
Don't expect a raise... ever.
No cost of living increase year over year plus they mismanaged to the point of laying off 1/4 of the entire company. That should tell you enough right there. After the original CEO/founder left and we got a new CEO the place turned into a corporate executive greed-fest really fast and went downhill at a rapid pace.
Growing company with growing pains
I may not be the best person to write this review, but overall opinion of the company was that it was one of the best places that I have worked. The people that I worked with were great, I learned a lot of things.

I looked forward to the work that I was doing, and stayed through several turbulent times, mostly because of the type of work I was doing.

Promotions/job advancement was dangled in front of me for over a year and a few months. They eventually gave me the promotion, but the process was slow.

The typical day at work consisted of daily standup, and maybe a few meetings throughout the day.

When we did have an office location in Denver, the place was great. The comradery in the office made the place great. However that office space was eventually closed, and we were sent home to wait for the new Denver office location to open.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with. While the hardest part of the job that I encountered was how separated the remote employees were from the main headquarters. They have been working on improving that, but I believe that will continue being an issue, due to how many events are focused around headquarters (like pumpkin carving contests, etc.)
Pros
Free lunches, challenging work, good people
Cons
Management seems to go in several different directions at once
Great off hand work experience in the cannabis industry
Grateful for the time and experience through this employer. I took the knowledge that I had from working here into the cannabis industry as it expanded.
Blackmailed
Frankly, they fired my boss within three weeks of starting. And, told me if I told anyone I got the full bonus, I would be fired. Ended up being fired
Unsafe working environment
The office culture at Weedmaps is very strange and unsafe. I was pressured to go out with the team on binge-drinking outings. On one of these outings, I blacked out (something that has never happened before or since). I believe I was roofied by a co-worker and reported this to the HR. They claimed to have investigated and would take no action. I left the company soon after this incident.
Fantastic Company to Work For
Really enjoying my time here. Everyone that works here is a pleasure to work with and I love the atmosphere. We're doing great things here and I'm proud to be a part of it.
Avoid this place like the plague
There is a reason they are constantly hiring for the same positions, it is because the company sucks, the management sucks, they have no vision, no transparency, employees are treated like animals. God knows if they can even attract good talent anymore because the HR department is so inept. It's amazing they are still in business.
Pros
short drive from home
Cons
poor management
Challenging, Personally Rewarding Dream Job
After reading these reviews from disgruntled former employees, I had to pipe up to offer the perspective of a current employee (and, no, I wasn't asked to provide this review).

Yes, this is a fast-paced work environment. You aren't going to be twiddling your thumbs surfing Instagram (unless you're in a different department with a much cooler job than mine that involves excessive use of the word Influencer).

Yes, sometimes people hear the "Weed" in Weedmaps and think they're coming here to get stoned all day. Those people don't last long then complain that they were bamboozled. They don't realize it was their own misconception that bamboozled them. We are a tech company with a zealous eye on growth. If you treat work like a house party (or expect excessive hand-holding), you're not going to last long.

The great thing is that, while there seems to always be some portion of people who fall into the "won't last long" category, the people who remain are extraordinary colleagues. We've brought in a number of C-Suite executives in the past couple of years, and, as a whole, they are really hitting their stride. The teams they have developed are filled with people - both "old guard" and "new guard" - who understand the relevant industries (tech and cannabis), believe in pushing for open markets, and are willing to work hard to make that happen.

The legal work I see on a day-to-day basis is the chocolate ganache icing on my fantasy birthday cake that is working at Weedmaps (that was a stretch, stay with me now). Take every issue faced by a company with a sizeable employee
 - more...
Pros
Interesting work; free lunches; $0 cost healthcare/dental/vision; etc.
Cons
Company communications/enterprisew-wide transparency
Toxic and Misogynistic Leadership
Terrible place to work that is full of illegal activities and misconduct. Leadership has no idea what it’s doing and they could care less about any of their employees.
It was interesting
It's not for everyone.

Great work environment, but there isn't enough trust. Management needs leadership. Great courtyard and many perks.

Suggest taking a tour b4 applying.
fun place to work
good job good people networking with people all over the world san. Francisco brings so much opportunity creating jobs safe places fun places to work.
Pros
lots of over time
Terrible managing
No promotion from within, even though we were told so. Forgetting pay and bonuses. No room for growth unless hired as a "friend". Completely taken advantage of
Pros
Sales Learning experience
Cons
Listed above
Exciting Industry, Tough Company
It's a new and exciting industry, and the company is very green. If you are seasoned in your career it could be a fun place to challenge yourself. If you are ambitious and looking to learn, may not be the place for you.
No Work/Life Balance
Be prepared to work 10-11 hour days and still have people throw back-handed insults when you clock out. Mandatory Saturdays, on top of being strongly encouraged to come in other weekends as well.

Sales commissions are setup to be top heavy, grunts get thrown under the bus and shuffled in and out of the department on a MONTHLY (read: 60-90 days) basis.

Also be ready to take the brunt of blame for any and all issues (be they administrative/legal/technical/otherwise) - management will "have your back" but will only be there to use you as a meat shield when the shooting starts.

Also a resume killer - turns out Cannabis is still not cool in 2018.

On the plus - free lunches/snacks/drinks are always provided. Benefits are decent, and the company does take care of maternity/paternity better than most. Coworkers and team members are always there to help - even if their hands are often tied.
Pros
Free Lunches, Relaxed Dress Code/Environment, Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Long Hours/Weekends, Lack of Career Path
New and exciting work environment
Be prepared to work hard and receive great benefits for it. Some days push 12 hours and you are required to work at least 1 Saturday a month, but are encouraged to come in every Saturday making it a very long work week. But if you stick with it, it will pay off.
Pros
catered lunches
Poisonous
Toxic environment that doesn't allow for creativity or clear communication. Its a shark tank of silicone valley startup transplants. Cannabis is the new gold rush, but not at weedmaps.
Pros
Free Lunches and great insurance
Cons
Toxic work enviroment
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Weedmaps. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
2.5
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Weedmaps.