Wegmans Employee Reviews

Found 2,222 reviews matching the search See all 2,227 reviews
Great company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greece, NYOctober 15, 2018
Customers and Employees are very happy always willing to help out to make the customers have a great experience at Wegmans. As an employee managers were always working with your schedule and promote education.
Pros
Assistance with tuition
Cons
N/a
Great place to work, do what you love
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 14, 2018
If you have a passion they have a position for you! Competitive pay and benefits for eligiable employees. Career opportunities from within. Programs and tools to help advancement
Great place to work with lots of room to advance.
Administrative Assistant/Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 14, 2018
Started as a cashier at the age of 16. Went on the become a customer service manager and then moved over to the corporate office as an Administratve Assistant. Was a great career until my husband and I decided to stay home and raise our children.
Faat paces
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 13, 2018
Great to work for yearly reviews to help improve room to grow and advance your career and raises were every six months they are very family oriented very flexible with schedule
Pros
Employee appreciations holiday luncheons
Great place to work. People are very friendly
Wegmans meat department (Current Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 13, 2018
Working at Wegmans is a great place to work. It is a safe environment at Wegmans and other employees are very kind and like to get to know who you are. Wegmans has great costumer service.
My experience at Wegmans
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYOctober 13, 2018
While i worked at Wegmans i proceeded as a cashier for 6 months. As a cashier my job was to give my customers the best service possible . meaning smiling at all time and many manners . i enjoyed the all my co-workers due to how helpful they where and understanding of me having my first job. Wegmans workers began to feel like a family to me and was excited to attend work everyday .I think the hardest part of working at Wegmans was i never felt that my full capability was being used . The thing i enjoyed most about working there was feeling so welcomed and a part of a team .
Pros
understanding, kind, good salary
Cons
no free lunches, no discounts on hot bar
Great Environtment and Flexibility, Low Wage
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYOctober 12, 2018
Wegmans is a great place to work temporarily unless you are interested in advancing into a management position. With many coworkers, there is a lot of flexibility in scheduling. With that being said, the hours vary on a day to day basis and can be unreliable on a weekly basis. The working environment is very friendly, and he management is responsive and compassionate to employee needs. The downfall is that the compensation is very low. The company does not pay based on merit or qualifications. There is a very standardized structure of hourly wage that unfortunately makes it impossible to be able to live independently on this income. Additionally, there are no dental or vision benefits as a part time employee.
Pros
Friendly, Flexible
Cons
Low wage, No dental, No vision, Inconsistent Hours
Outstanding Job Opportunity
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 9, 2018
While working for wegmans for almost 5 years i obtained outstanding customer service skills. I had extreme training throughout my work time at Wegmans. I also obtained excellent cashier communication skills dealing with customers. My years at wegmans was amazing enjoyed working there and getting paid every week.
Pros
Free food in breakroom
Cons
extremely stressful sometimes alot of people high volume customers
Continuous Improvement at the detriment of the employees
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NYOctober 9, 2018
Wegmans has plenty to be proud of, however, employee satisfaction is surprisingly not one of them. Though they always place in lists of the "best places to work," my experience there was quite disappointing. They overwork their employees purposefully, constantly pushing the idea of "continuous improvement," which, from the inside/management perspective, was described as "always give the workers goals that are out of their reach; when they get close, raise the goal so that they are never accomplished. This keeps people always working harder." This may have business sense, but it sure made for a miserable working environment. Poor management, office politics, and a complete lack of follow-through (they say what you want to hear but only act in the interest of their bottom line, despite how it affects employees) all were prevalent throughout my time there. It's unfortunate, they have great product and great ideas, but they need to get their heads out of the clouds and look at the people on whom they have built their behemoth of a grocery empire.
Pros
Great product and atmosphere, opportunities for "training"
Cons
No work/life balance respect, overworking employees, office politics, and ridiculous demands
Great Company Overall, Just like every other workplace at the store level
Kitchen Runner (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAOctober 8, 2018
The company itself is a wonderful company who treats their employees well, and offers a variety of great programs to help them,

At the store level, this job is just like any other. You've got good employees and bad ones. The job is really what you make it.
Change
Produce Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 7, 2018
Drastic change in company culture over time. They moved away from caring about their employees to a more cutthroat corporate environment. Their benefits still cant cover their low wages
Corporate is Great, the store--not so much
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 4, 2018
I started out at Wegmans as a full time employee in prepared foods. When I first started, things were great--and at the other stores I trained in, things were great. Now, things are miserable. The managers are always fighting and pulling employees into their personal squabbles. The morale in my department is nonexistent. No one wants to be there because there is no pleasing management. You could do everything asked of you, plus every extra project you could think of, but there will always be one thing you didn't prioritize, and you will always get lectured about it or sometimes even threatened.

The goalposts are always moving. Policy changes like the weather and its impossible to keep up with. If you ask five different employees how to do a task, they will give you five different answers, because things are not communicated well. A given task might change 2-3x a week.

The scheduling is a nightmare. There are often times when people are scheduled alone for multiple hours at a time, and sometimes no one is scheduled in the department at all. Full timers are often stuck working 7-10 days in a row, all closing shifts or close-to-opens. There's no consistency. You could be working 2:30-11 one day and 5-1:30 the next. As a full time employee, you don't get an availability, so forget about going to school, working a second job, or having any life outside of work whatsoever.

Requests for time off are often ignored. You could put in a request for time off three months in advance, but there's a chance the TL could just ignore it or forget to approve it, so when the time comes,
  more... you're scheduled and now it's your job to find a replacement. Except the department is way understaffed, so good luck with that. For someone with a chronic illness that requires regular doctor's visits, it was impossible to schedule my doctor's appointments around my work schedule, since you only get the work schedule 1 1/2 weeks in advance.

When I went down to part time, I went from $14.50 to $12.15 (something close to that, I don't remember to he exact). I got to keep my benefits through the year, but didn't qualify for the following year. I also have inconsistent hours. Some weeks I get 20hrs, others I get 30. Sometimes there are opportunities to pick up hours, sometimes there's not. My paychecks vary between livable and not, entirely outside of my control.

My advice for anyone looking to work at the Charlottesville Wegmans is to stay far, far away from prepared foods/cafe. The other areas of the store are, I'm sure, perfectly fine. But Prepared Foods is a nightmare hellscape, where employees are punished for caring about the department and putting in extra effort.

1/10, still 1/10 with rice.
Pros
Awesome Coworkers, Good Benefits for Full Timers, Corporate is Cool
Cons
Bad Management, No Work-Life Balance
a great company
Video customer service (Former Employee) –  Webster, NYOctober 4, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at wegmans but I needed full time and they mostly just hire part time. It's a good company and the people I worked with were kind.
Offer a great customer service experience!
Home and Entertaining Manager (Current Employee) –  Dickson City, PAOctober 4, 2018
My typical day is that of managing my team and department. We all provide the ultimate customer service! I've been given the opportunity to advance in my career over the past 21 years! I love what I do and look forward to going to work.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude customers but at the same time I like to kill them with kindness!
Pros
Great work atmosphere.
Cons
My department is shrinking!
Fun collaborative culture
Deli Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAOctober 3, 2018
In many ways it was a supportive environment with many opportunities for growth both laterally and vertically. There was a sense of community and excitement for the company goal of Great Meals.
Well managed work envoirment
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYOctober 2, 2018
Grest company to fulfill a full time position with good benefits. Friendly co workers and understanding customers. Plenty of advancement oppurtunities
Changing organization
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 2, 2018
Compared to other places, Wegmans is a good place to work. However, as it continues to grow, it is struggling to keep its "family" feel. It's fairly common for long-time employees to comment about how it's just not the same. But a growing business does need to be more rigid in order to maintain its processes and procedures.

The company also struggles to treat employees equally. Many who desire advancement are held back as others move quickly from one level to another.
Pros
Job security, well respected company
Cons
Some employees are not able to advance
one on one with cutomer and troubleshooting
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAOctober 2, 2018
 Assist in filling and preparing medications under pharmacist’s supervision, answer phone calls, and organize/store medications in accordance with state regulations. Resolve issues with prior authorizations from third-party payers. Reconciliation of eligibility verification from responding managed care organizations. Provided direct support to pharmacists and pharmacy staff in preparing orders, blister pack orders, maintaining records and inventory. Maximize productivity and assure patient satisfaction. One on one with the customer.
Not a fun place to work.
Grocery and dairy assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 2, 2018
Wegmans is now a place where everyone is looking out for themselves. Management will do or say anything to make themselves look good. The average worker is treated like a tool to make management look better. Promotions are based on who you know and who likes you, not on what you know or how good a worker you are.
Pros
Good benefits for full time employees
Cons
No respect. No real chance of advancing.
Best place to work
Accounting/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYOctober 1, 2018
Amazing atmosphere, with loving co-workers. So much opportunity to grow. Fast paced at times but team work is a definite priority. Loved working for such a compassionate company with upstanding values and commitment to being the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wegmans. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
51.1K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss