Weis Markets Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,281 reviews matching the search See all 1,283 reviews
Weis Markets
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, PAJune 21, 2018
Overall for the majority of my job there I enjoyed working for them. As the old managers left and the new managers came in my love for the job went down entirely. They need to learn to better appreciate their employees. The hardest part of the job is the mean customers. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the nicest managers or monitors are on shift. It makes work more enjoyable
Pros
Hour lunches for minors
Cons
Short break, management, not enough employees, overworked
They will schedule you for 6 1/2 hours so that you ONLY get ONE ten (!) minute break!
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  AnywhereJune 19, 2018
They are tricky! They say that you get a lunch AFTER 6 1/2 hours. So, they schedule you shifts of 6 or 6 1/2 hours...that means you ONLY get ONE 10 minute break!!
Also, if you work in the bakery you are NOT allowed to eat, sample, or bring a drink into the bakery...unless, of course you have worked there for years, or are a mgr. or hide your Mountain Dew in the walk in cooler- (different rules for different people) . They company's policy on eating a cookie, etc. is that it is shoplifting- which is TRUE!
The other thing that they won't tell you is that frozen breads, etc. are HEAVY (about 50lbs.), and you do have to go down to the freezer when the truck comes...your reward? About 9 bucks an hour , and you get to work just about every weekend- at least one day :)
Pros
You go home smelling like cake, donuts and bread that you can't try.
Cons
ONE 10 minute break---NO sampling allowed when you work in the bakery
perfect for highschool students
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 19, 2018
for a regular part time job while youre in school, this is perfect. This issomething temporary for me until i find a better job and graduated from beauty school
Customer Service
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Shamokin, PA 17872June 18, 2018
This job has taught me many skills dealing with the customer service environment. From balancing money, customer complaints, time management, multi-tasking, etc.
Fun and Family oriented. Everyone works as a team
Front-End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDJune 16, 2018
Weis has great opportunity to grow.The company has great benefits. The Managers are very helpful. I love the prices and discounts. The daily activities are challenging, but the work is not hard at all.
Lots of responsiblity can be stressful at times
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Honesdale, PAJune 16, 2018
Very busy during the summer and holidays. I am responsible for all ordering of products, meeting with sales reps, stocking shelves and coolers, cashiering, and scheduling staff. There is a lot of lifting required. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the stocking while ringing out customers at the same time. My favorite part of the job is assisting customers with there purchasing and meeting with sales reps. on new products available.
flexible hours
Bakery Tech - Produce Prep/ PAC (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJJune 15, 2018
no guarantee of weekly hours. Started at 32 hrs and was dropped to 19 hours.
I enjoyed doing produce, but, was too cold on my fingers, since I have Reynauds syndrome. Doing PAC was the best cause you get to help the public.
Awful
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 14, 2018
This place was an awful place to work. I genuinely liked how there was always something for me to do and I wasn't just standing around, but sometimes it was taken to the extreme. 90% of the time my department manager was missing or she would leave a couple hours early. The department was connected to two other departments and we weren't allowed to tell customers we couldn't help them even if we were swamped in our department. The entire place is very for themselves and could really care less about you as a person.
weis
Butcher/Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Lusby, MDJune 14, 2018
it was a good place to work just not enough hours. i learned how to cut meat. it was pretty laid back. i did learn alot from this job.the management was great.
Good place for a summer job, but nothing permanant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 14, 2018
This is a chain so it is hard to say anything concrete about the company. I liked that it was corporate because it means you get more protection from incidents (the company is always afraid of being sued) and you are generally treated better and more professionally.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low salary
Stressful, usually poorly managed
Meat Cutter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Windsor Mill, MDJune 14, 2018
The store was stressful to work at, didn't pay well or give much of any raises, and was often managed poorly or unprofessionally. It wasn't the worst job but by no means good to work at.
Busy while being in a comfortable atmosphere
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fogelsville, PAJune 13, 2018
Coworkers are supportive and encouraging. You have lots to do in a small amount of time while having the pressure of accuracy. There are only two speeds super fast or slow.
Pros
Job qualities
Cons
Work flow
Would NOT Recommend
Front End Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MarylandJune 12, 2018
I worked at Weis for 2 years and this was the worst job I’ve ever had. It literally drained the life out of me. The customers were extremely rude, and the managers barely communicated with the workers and when they did they could be rude as well. The front end supervisor was also very critical and picked out every little thing. During the winter time when it would get cold by the doors, you couldn’t even wear a sweater over your uniform. They would make you take it off since you are only allowed to wear the Weis company shirt or order their fleece jacket for 40 bucks.

They were almost always understaffed with lines going into the aisles because of how busy it could get. I remember a few times working in the morning I was the only cashier and no matter what I did there was always a huge line of people. There are usually only 2-3 lanes open, if that, even during busy times.

Breaks are only 10 minutes, which is nothing, and sometimes it was almost impossible to get a 10 minute because of how busy and understaffed they were. The supervisor would tell you “10 minute breaks are not mandatory”. Lunches were like most places - 30 minutes.

As for discounts or incentives for working there, there were basically none. You get 10% off, which I thought at first was good in case I wanted to do shopping there, but the 10% was only on Weis brand products.

There is room for advancement at the front end as a customer service person, and a monitor, however, pay wasn’t increased at all for doing more work. As for the actual work place/environment, it was always dirty and looked bad
  more... overall. Also, the break room was disgusting and always smelt like rotting meat.

I possibly would recommend this job to someone in high school or college, considering they are flexible with school, however, at the same time I don’t recommend this place to anyone. They do not know how to treat their employees right; no one is appreciated and they go through workers like crazy.
Pros
Flexible with school, coworkers
Cons
Pay, incentives, short break, understaffed, rude customers
Horrible place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJune 12, 2018
Always under staffed and cutting hours. Wages were too low and always had under 12 hours. Management is terrible and bosses treat others unfairly. Employees are under appreciated and given more to do than their own job.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Healthcare
Challenging , busy enviroment
Customer Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  York, PAJune 12, 2018
Weis Markets like a lot of retail business is understaffed especially in the area I work. It can be a very challenging day sometimes, but I thrive on being busy all day.
I have learned how a grocery store really works and reason for the way business is done.
Hardest part of the job is trying to balance everything that needs to be done. Especially when we do not have a monitor (head cashier) and we need to be both.
The most enjoyable part of the job I feel is the contact we have with our customers. We have many who are there on a daily basis and to be able to greet them and interact and maybe make a part of their day better, is great.
I also enjoy interaction with the other front end associates. Many are younger, college and high school students, and they offer to me a chance to stay in touch with new things going on in the world.
Pros
Schedules are flexible to meet your needs.
Cons
Being retail, theres no happy medium. Feast or famine so to speak
I would not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eldersburg, MDJune 10, 2018
the management was terrible, workplace culture was not something id like to be around, hardest part was dealing with customers who think they're right, most enjoyable was working with other coworkers
Pros
easy job
Cons
no advancement and no raises ever
One man person job
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 9, 2018
Very precise job having to get everything ready for the next day for the bakers that came in. Also had to get cakes ready and also get and take cake orders.
Pros
Half off Food
Cons
Short hours
Ok place to work
Dairy Associate (Former Employee) –  Mifflinburg, PAJune 9, 2018
Weis Markets is a decent place to work, I really had no problems with Weis Markets, other than the fact that it was hard to try and get full time hours, basically this is a part time business, geared for high school or college students.
Very productive work environment
Cashier, Stock Crew, Customer Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, MDJune 8, 2018
Ive learned a lot while working at Weis, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people i got to meet and talk with, along with the friends I've made while working there, I have nothing really negative to say about working there.
Years of work with little or no appreciation.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJune 7, 2018
Weis Markets was my first job as a teenager and I worked there throughout college. There was no communication between management and my department, and managers had no clue on how to assist the front end when we were understaffed, thanks to the managers. I made minimum wage supervising cashiers and dealing with customer service issues (which were never positive)--the same amount of money new hires made.