West Chester University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

Teaching-centered University with supportive administration
Associate Professor of Nursing (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 5, 2018
WCU has a strong commitment to teaching and is clear about their expectations of tenure-track faculty. Student evaluations are taken in high regard for promotion decisions. Part of 14-school state system with a state-wide faculty union which protects the interests of faculty. Difficult for part-time faculty to succeed due to contract limits. Financially secure and in a great location 30 miles west of Philadelphia in a small town.
Pros
Location, Supportive administration, good pay
Cons
Very competitive to get hired due to good pay and benefits
Great environment- terrible compensation
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJune 8, 2018
A graduate assistantship is never intended to be permanent, and the pay shouldn't be equivalent to a full-time job: however, thanks to recent decisions made by the government, the compensation did little to encourage good work ethic.

That aside- the professors are excellent, insightful and hard working: it was a privilege to have their guidance as I studied and performed my duties.
If the career field was more lucrative and less competitive- I likely would have pursued a PhD and position as a professor.
adjuncting is hard
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 2, 2018
I worked 9 years FT as an adjunct, had one bad semester (due to illness) and now I don't have classes. It's tough to work so long for a school and get NO raise or steps ever.
Pros
students are great
Cons
no job security
Wcupa
Intern (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 31, 2018
Working at WCUPA can become very comfortable easily which is neither good or bad. It is very aesthetically pleasing atmosphere to be, the town is a stereotypical college town. Great school, good benefits, great location. Just easy to get stuck with limited upward mobility.
Fun, face-paced environment
FRONT DESK ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  225 North Campus Drive West Chester, PA 19382December 3, 2018
Everyone is friendly and you get to observe the world in new shoes. You work on the side of the desk to help people, which is always rewarding. Everyone comes in, happy and looking forward to the work day!
Graduate Assistant
Athletics Academic Mentor Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PADecember 6, 2018
WCU graduates have unique opportunities to connect with students, research and collaborate with professionals for growth in my own field. I am eager to graduate to use my skills.
good team building job
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 12, 2018
really helped move me out of my comfort level and learn to work with all different types of coworkers. the sense of support and acceptance I received from all my fellow co workers was amazing.
Best Jobs Ever
Swim Instructor Supervisors (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 20, 2017
I worked in the summer swim lessons as well as a life guard. Very good seasonal work with excellent pay, and yearly raises. Reliable hours and room to grow to supervisor status. Best summers ever.
Nice place to Live and Work
Student (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJuly 11, 2018
While i lived and went to school at West Chester University of Pennsylvania, I worked in a clinical setting with the purview of my professors. I strongly feel as if my time there was well spent
Always felt like someone cared and fun environment to work at
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 20, 2017
A typical day at work always consisted of strong communication between co workers and co workers and supervisors while performing the tasks at hand.
I learned a lot about interrelationships of the job itself and co workers and how things can go even smoother when communication is both truthful and accepted.
Management was there to help assist in what we needed to complete our goals and how to go about them.
Workplace culture was mostly free and understanding of anyone's differences with some few minor exceptions but just based on opinions.
The hardest part of the job was maintaining a good sleep schedule between shifts (overnights).
The Most enjoyable part of the job was the money and the reward of completing tasks and goals.
Pros
annual and sick time
Cons
overnight schedule
Excellent experience.
Student Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAMarch 15, 2018
As a student I was exposed to many techniques and skills which i will use for the rest of my career. While working I made amny connections which will help me i the future
West Chester University Worker
Orientation Leader (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAFebruary 2, 2018
Great place to work as a student. Flexibility to class schedules and other employment. Career growth based training sessions. Friendly community and wonderful coworkers.
Volunteer Tour Guide
Ambassador / Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAFebruary 23, 2018
This job did not pay but was something I loved most about the school. Through this opportunity I met great people and was able to show purposive students why I personally love West Chester University.
Great part time job to have on-campus
Tutor (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAFebruary 19, 2018
I really enjoyed tutoring at West Chester, it was a relaxed environment where you can choose your own hours. It also really reinforces the material you already learned.
Administrative Assistant work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PADecember 11, 2017
Excellent work place. Very quick paced, but an interesting, fair and diverse place to work. I have been a full time employee here for 7+ years and in that time, I have had the chance to move up 4 times and my managers have been very supportive each time.
Loved it
Speak Out Coordinator for LGBTAQ Services (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 16, 2018
I was a student and working for an organization that I loved. I enjoyed working with several other groups on campus and helping other students if they may have had an issue. No complaints.
Received my most notable experiences at West Chester!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PASeptember 14, 2017
If it weren't for me relocating to a different state, I just KNOW I would have a job straight out of Grad school! This University has provided me with the experiences, resources, and networking opportunities to advance my career!
great place
Mathematic tutor (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAOctober 24, 2017
its a great place to start. very safe and nice place . working with a very diverse place help people to familiar with different culture. working in a university is a very secure job.
Great Place to Work For
Digital Media Volunteer (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PAJuly 24, 2017
I took a practicum at West Chester University in the digital media center and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I still volunteer there now even though I graduated recently because it is fun and I like the people that I get to work with.
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Hard to get a paid job
Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Information Services
RECAP Intern/Admin assistant (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 11, 2014
I obtained a degree in teaching, and I did teach high school English for abour four years; however, during my time as an undergraduate at West Chester Univeristy, I was the administrative assistant for the Vice President of Information Services. A month into my freshman year of college, I began as an intern at the help desk, and by the time my second semester arrived, I was in an office with the VP of IS. During my four years working for him, I learned the skills mentioned above, along with how to work in an office setting. Being a full-time student, and having a very important job allowed me to learn how to work under pressure, learn extremely fast, and there was absolutely no time for me second-guess myself. I developed essential character traits when it comes to any type of job: confidence and loyalty.