West Coast Event Productions Employee Reviews

Horrible company to work for. Stay away.
Scheduling and Fleet Manger (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2019
Owners don't know how to run a business. They micromanage EVERYTHING. They don't communicate with each other, even though they're married. As a result, employees receive conflicting instructions on how to perform their job. The micromanagement also translates into a lot of people putting their hands into everybody else's work, especially when it comes to scheduling and dispatch. There is no structure to the work environment.

The owners don't trust anyone, and even though they have solid people who have been with them for years, who handle millions of dollars of equipment and product day in and day out, they're still not trusted to be able to close a few doors without supervision. Roles are poorly defined, and pretty much discarded in favor of what owners and director of operations want done. Favoritism is definitely rife here, especially with the director of operations. You may also be forced to do your work over and over and over again, but be careful not to show frustration in your facial expressions or body language over it.

When it comes to work-life balance, there is no such thing at WCEP. Stay away from a salary position, because you will be told directly that you are expected to work overtime, 50+ a week and sometimes pull 14-16hr days back to back, but the compensation is not there for it. Salaried employees do not get extra paid time off, or comp time, for extra hours worked, and with the salaries offered, you'll end up making about minimum wage in relation to hours worked. Employees have to purchase their own benefits, and direct deposit isn't even offered.
  more...

The only 2 good things about this place are 1) the warehouse and field Crews, as well as some of the office people, are amazing to work with. 2) there are taco trucks that show up twice a day on the street next to WCEP.
Pros
Not working at West Coast Event Production.
Cons
No work-life balance. Owners micromanage. Working here.
Alot of harrassment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2018
During my time there i experienced a lot of harassment from some of the female employees. They seem to enjoy this and have been doing it so long that no one is going to stop it from happening. I even witnessed a temp worker get picked on and harassed and she would leave work crying to me. I could sympathize with her.
Employees are great
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2018
Employees are hardworking and act as a family everyone works hard together to accomplish tasks. They are the life blood of the company. Ownership is out of touch with daily operations,micromanages and is not up to date with current HR practices.
loved this job miss it learned a lot from it thou
decor and catering cleaner/janitorial (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 4, 2018
i worked in the decor and in catering witch for both i pulled orders and packed and delivered event rentals did event set ups and take downs also worked in the dish room washing dishes also did inventory for both decor and catering also did floral prep ,and arrangement rentals .
Enjoyable work enviroment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 28, 2018
The job provided something different each day.
Easy going atmosphere in which we worked as a team.
The hardest part of the job was getting good reliable temporary help.
The physical part of the job was the most rewarding to me.
The satisfaction of knowing that the customer was happy with the end results was the most fulfilling.
Pros
Able to take time off when needed
Cons
Having to pick up 200 chairs at midnight
Great Local Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 4, 2018
Working at WCEP has been great. You are constantly learning about the event industry and are able to gain experience right away. The culture and people that work here is amazing. They are helpful, friendly and supportive. We all work together to get the job done.
Amazing Company with Extremely Talented Employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 24, 2018
My experience at WCEP has been one that I value. I am constantly surrounded by the most talented and hard-working individuals in the industry who make people’s dream events become a reality. The event industry is ever-changing and requires commitment and passion by those behind the scenes. The executive team and employees are prime examples of dedicated and motivated individuals who are always striving to be the best in the industry and provide excellent service to all customers.

I have had the opportunity to grow into three positions throughout the three years I have been here. There is absolutely opportunity for growth as long as you speak up and show that you are motivated to grow and take on new responsibilities.

I have learned so much during my time at WCEP and my favorite part is being able to stay so connected with the community and constantly be surrounded by such talented and dedicated individuals in the industry. Some people do not understand the hard work that goes on behind the scenes and it is incredible to see the teamwork here that goes into making events a success. I am proud to say I work at WCEP!
Pros
Teamwork, Opportunities for Growth, Talented Employees, Amazing Executive Team
Terrible Company
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2018
Worst company I've ever worked for...and, I've worked for some bad ones. Sales and executive staff have completely unrealistic expectations about what is physically possible for warehouse and field crews to accomplish.
quick paced and non stop working
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 5, 2018
i learn how to set up events as far as setting up tents chair tables decor load/unload trucks, when out for a job you have to be ready for anything from a long day to improvising on the task at hand communication is key here.
Logistics Manager
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  PortlandFebruary 21, 2018
I worked for the Portland location. It was a miserable place to work. The ownership was out of touch of the reality of how much work could be preformed on a daily basis. They lead my yelling/screaming at people. Only the dregs of society were ever hired so the turnover was horrendous.

There was never enough help and days off were never something you could count on.

The safety culture is horrible and this place should be avoided like the plague.
Pros
Nothing to report
Cons
horrible safety culture, 60 hour weeks were the norm, lack of any credible leadership.
Toxic work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 13, 2018
Company as a whole does not follow its own policies or care about its staff. Had 5 different supervisors in the 8 months I was there. CEO is just a big kid in a tower watching over his worker bees hoping that everything works out each day. No work/life balance. Terrible/lack of communicatuon. No leadership whatsoever. Toxic work environment.
Chaotic
Operations / Event & Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 19, 2018
Stressful days - management unclear on decisions - very poor communication from all heads - no departments are synergized with each other - endless hours - No SAFETY program, never enough help - people are stretched to their limits
Pros
Outside work
Cons
Long days
Direction from Above very unclear
Warehouse Manager / Event Project & Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 11, 2018
Every day was something new - changes of management direction was unsettling - could not depend on knowing what was real vs what we were told. Directors were simply confusing and chaos reigned
Pros
Project and venue manager, customer contact, positive results, pride in completing projects
Cons
Reality vs what we were told
Don't plan on a Career
Operations/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 14, 2017
I was brought in to reorganize the Bend office operations. After 6 months I had accomplished all goals set for the reorganization, and was informed that despite completing all my deliverable satisfactorily they would not be honoring the promised salary increase. Needless to say, I ended the relationship quickly. My understanding is they have since closed the Bend office completely.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Unethical
Wcep
Event Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed working with a great group of talented individuals with a wide range of diverse talents. A very dynamic workplace, you know each day is going to be different.
Wonderful people, but severe lack of a set schedule!
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 28, 2017
I would absolutely have continued to work here, if I didn't desire a minimum 50/50 balance of work and life. From evening and weekend required hours that change constantly, to regular off-the-clock correspondence, it was a bit too much for me, as I prioritize a balance that greater allows for separation from work when off the clock.
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Hours/Schedule, No benefits, no direct deposit for paychecks, underpaid for position
it's just a job
Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2016
Not a place to start a career in event planning. High turnover creates low morale and people just waiting for the next best thing to come along.
Not the best
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 1, 2016
This was a mom and pop shop. My day was typically 15 hours a day, and was not given the proper assistance needed to complete tasks. With a degree in operational management I was not taken serious and was basically thrown into the lions den. Poor communication all of the way around. The owners and the management team consisting of 2 manager would have meeting for hours and nothing would be passed down. I felt I was always left in the dark. Cut throat environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Coast Event Productions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3