West Elm Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
going downhill fast
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 15, 2018
Really poor business operations make it difficult to do your job. constant budget cuts force full time employees to use PTO to supplement. Terrible pay.
Pros
love the people i work with directly
Cons
poor pay, they cut scheduled shifts to protect budget, full time associates made to use paid time off constantly in an effort to preserve payroll
West Elm
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
Outdated systems. The systems are outdated. Outdated systems make it hard to effectively do your actual job. Customer service situations are caused by outdates systems and terrible 3rd party delivery services.
fulfilling, yet challenging work enviroment
Market Visual Manager - Northeast District (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2018
fulfilled my need to lead times and be creative in a challenging, yet rewarding environment. gave me opportunities to travel and lead different types of teams and people, and to participate in a wide variety of work from seasonal floor sets, store openings, design expos, etc.
management isn't the best.
INSTALLER (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 21, 2018
west elm itself is a nice place. but when it comes to management its terrible. pushing the sales associates to make sales no matter what. having only one stock associate to basically keep the store functioning isn't smart. the management just needs to be replaced. ASAP
Great place for learning
Shipment Receiver/ Stock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 11, 2018
The management team helps you build your career in business. Great environment and safe place. Great pay rate and benefit for part-time and full-time jobs. Exiting and electric personality neede to be competitive and meet the high demand customers.
Hypocritical management, inflexible, and far too casusal
Stockroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILJune 1, 2018
Management doesn't care about the employees, are highly disrespectful and beyond hypocritical. Micromanagement is common and will try to gain your trust or befriend you just so they can remind you that they are your boss.
Pros
Casual workplace cc even with limited restrictions.
Cons
A bit too casual, micromanagement, unfair hours, poor pay, employee favoritism, and unprofessional.
mid size company with a start up feel
Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 17, 2018
Clear brand direction with a focus on an entrepreneurial work ethic. Work/balance life is positive. Leadership is typically out of touch with concerns and needs of their direct reports but if you have the ability to work autonomously and get your job done you will do ok.
Fun Job
Social Media Strategist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 14, 2018
This company is progressive and was wonderful to work for. My day was constantly different and exciting. I'd recommend this company to anyone looking to work in a high pressure sales environment without feeling the pressure.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Not many benefits
Fun and active place to work!
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working for West elm. Just sometimes schedule were hard and plenty ours. Shorts breaks and lots of sales expectations. But great and fun people to work with
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Work weekend and holidays
Workplace is fun competitive
Stockroom Shipper Receiver (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMay 1, 2018
West Elm is a great company great experience strong head of the company great vision for the future I'm still there working currently I do love my job I love to people and I love and who aspects in the learning process that I learn something new everyday
Not a great place to work
In-Home Stylist/Sales (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaApril 30, 2018
Bad energy and managers were not approachable. No room for advancement (at least at the Vancouver location). I was told I would be a member of the visuals team when I was hired, but even after expressing interest multiple times, I was stuck as a sales associate.
Pros
Discounts
Great benefits and pay, poor management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York StateApril 16, 2018
The benefits of working here are great: pay, healthcare, etc. however the management is inconsistent and leave a lot to be desired. It isn't a terrible place to work but I would never recommend it.
Pros
pay
Cons
few resources to work with
A great place for a part time associate
Full Time Design Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 10, 2018
Working for West Elm has been an exciting opportunity to advance in the retail setting. However the structure of the corporation does not allow for a rapid advancement for accomplished employees.
Pros
Relaxed informal workplace
Cons
Corporate structure does not allow for rapid advancement
Relaxed, Friendly environment.
Home Stylist (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 23, 2018
I started at West Elm as a stockroom associate. Taking in shipment, sorting it onto the shelves, moving and assembling furniture for the sales floor. I worked in the stockroom for my first year and a half, then I moved to sales. Shortly after that I was placed where I am now as a Home Stylist. I think working in the stockroom first, allowed me to learn how the whole store operates, from top to bottom. It also gave me a better idea of the quality and feel of the furniture pieces, which then helped later on the sales floor. For the most part it is your standard retail position, helping customers, stocking shelves, hanging promotional materials. As a stylist, I tend to have more one-on-one interactions with customers either in store or in their homes. Which was scary at first, but now its what I look forward to most, since its where I get to be more creative. The managers and fellow staff are all really nice, and helpful. There was a training period where you follow around another employee for a day or two until you see just how things are done. After that you're on your own, but no one expects you to know anything and everything at once. Simply because you are working directly with customers, there are bound to be unique questions, situations. Business casual attire is required, along with a good pair of shoes since you will be on your feet most of the day. One 10min paid break is provided, unless your shift is over 6hours, then you get a 30min "lunch" break.

I only really have two main complaints. One would be that the technology (store registers, pin pads, computers) is
  more... VERY slow and out of date. Which can be quite frustrating when your customer is waiting on the phone or in person with their children, and we're stuck waiting for the login screen to finish loading. The other is that despite my experience and the length of time I've been with the company, no full time position has yet to be made available.  less
Pros
Great people, friendly environment.
Cons
Outdated Technology, limited advancement opportunities.
Great place
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 12, 2018
Everything was great about working at West Elm. The management to the stock room employees were all great. The atmosphere is one of hard work and respect.
Cons
Good stepping stone for further employment
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMarch 12, 2018
Typical day at West Elm:: The UPS truck would arrive, along with the other stock associates, I would assist in unloading the truck, arrange product accordingly, process the boxes, place product on the shelves, ensure the stock room was safe and orderly.
Pros
Emeryville--short commute, nice co-workers, sizable discount
Cons
Pt, no opportunities for advancement, horrible management
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2018
Normally when you think about a job you expect learning and growth. It you are not learning and growing maybe you would be paid well. Neither of these is the case. Poor to no benefits, horrible unlivable wages and the managers do not care about you or the customers for that matter.
Pros
Discount on the furniture
Cons
Pay, lack of benefits, no growth and poor management.
Great Company
Shipper Receiver/ Stock Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYMarch 4, 2018
work days were mostly enjoyable. fast paced environment, so I would definitely recommend for people looking to be on the move. Very family like atmosphere between co-workers
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
retail
Small dental office
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHFebruary 26, 2018
Small older practice. Dr. is a bit quirky but nice guy. 1 doctor, 1 hygienist and 1 assistant so very small close knit office. Family friendly. Still friends with everyone I worked with.
Pros
Great compensation, great staff
Cons
Somewhat stressful at times. Long hours
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 21, 2018
Able to meet new people while continuously learning about new products for new/returning clients to provide a comfortable home or office environment, communicating with local distribution center for product arrival, cashier duties. Love working with all peers however the job slow paced.
Pros
Great working environment, benefits
Cons
Not enough hours, slow paced