WEST HARTFORD PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Poor pay and lack of support.
Special Education Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 13, 2019
Only pay $95 per day to work with special education students. No training for working with students in areas such as eating, toileting and lifting/transporting. Unrealistic expectations of staff working directly with students; classroom teachers are removed from students.
good
Elementary School Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTDecember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for WHPS. I felt supported in my role and was given the autonomy to do my job well by my nursing supervisor. I am appreciative of the good years I spent there.
Exciting Opportunities to help Students Succeed
Teacher/Coach (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTOctober 8, 2018
Working in WHPS one thing is sure: achievement of students. There are endless opportunities where you are supported to help students become the best that they can, as well as strive to achieve their biggest goals.
Pros
Many opportunities to aid student achievements
I would work here again
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 22, 2018
I didn't want to leave this position. It's safe, challenging, and different day to day. The pace is relaxed but the work is rewarding. Working with students and the staff was a pleasure.
Excellent Place to grow and thrive
Technology and Engineering Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 13, 2018
Well supported in my department, I was able to develop and update my area to meet 21st century standards. Excellent support with software and hardware.
good experience for prospective teachers
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 6, 2018
I enjoyed working with the children, but the pay is very low with no benefits. You can't support yourself with this position. Not much room for advancement either.
Cons
low pay, no benefits
First School Psychology job
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTFebruary 3, 2018
This was my first job as a school psychologist. I had wonderful colleagues, got to work with lots of children and families, and only left in order to pursue my doctorate.
great place to work
Elementary level substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJune 8, 2017
great palce to work, breat nenfits, fleixble schedule. i really enjoyed working here. i learned a lot about office managerial skills and customer relations
Teaching assistant at elementary school
Special Education Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 28, 2014
love the children and other staff.. learned a lot from working under the special education teachers.

Teachers tell you what you work on with your children and you teach them.

Must be independent.
Pros
great staff/teachers
Cons
extremely low pay, no benefits
Quiet, professional, studious boring environment.
SECURITY GREETER (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2013
Start day arrive set up for the day, patrol hall, sit and greet parents and guests, town officials that came in and keep out unwanted people. Cultured music, and Jewish religion. Management was fake, self centered, Co-workers were nice, Keeping focused and unbored, the most enjoyable part was meeting the people and the children.
Pros
free concert
Cons
short hours, no benefits
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 1, 2012
I work one:one with autistic students, developing and providing differentiated curricula in a mainstream classroom setting.