West Marine Employee Reviews

West Marine Deltaville, VA
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deltaville, VAJuly 10, 2018
I liked working there. The staff was not very welcoming. The manager was very nice and helpful. The training was done on the computer which was difficult if you do not know anything on the product, it did not explain anything. They only hire part time. Unfortunately, I left because 2-4 days a week, 2-4 hours a day was not enough for me. You really need to know each product to succeed in working there.
Pros
Nice Manager
Cons
Difficult training, not enough hours
It was a productive and fun workplace
PORT SUPPLY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  North Palm Beach, FLJune 29, 2018
It was a great job if you wanted to move forward and go up in the company. It did not take long to learn the ins and outs of the company and the job required.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
management was not too good
Poor Management, Failing Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nags Head, NCJune 27, 2018
The store I worked at was by the beach. It seemed great at first. Long hours, minimal hard labor, and relaxed pace. But the management didn't have a clue what they were doing. Management wasn't familiar with any of the company standards and just made them up as he went along. To make things worst management was very oppressive and followed me around all day micromanaging everything I did. Even worse I was fired suddenly for a tiny indiscretion that wasn't even technically against the rules.

I had ZERO job security. But I dont feel bad about it. West Marine appears to be failing seeing how their eastern warehouse has failed and cant properly supply their eastern stores. On top of their already failed business model where everything they sale is sold by amazon significantly cheaper. I feel like West Marine wont be around in 10 years so maybe this was for the best.
Pros
Relaxed Pace
Cons
Oppressive/Incompetent Management
fun place to work but it not paying job and it take time to grow in this company
Provide Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 1, 2018
there cheap they don't payed well there employed and it take to much time to success with them they sometime take decision to promote new associate and they don't consider people's that been there for longtime ,it fun job but they don't paid and it take to long to grow . they have a lot of turn over badly they don't give good raise and it take too much time to have a raise that went you have is nothing .
Cons
short break giving everyday 10 minutes before lunch and after lunch another 10 after lunch, and also they give pto and holidays paid.
Good place if retired.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMay 30, 2018
Stay out of management unless you want to be used, abused and removed! If you are retired it’s not a bad gig. They will work you into the ground regardless. The good associates get canned and those that don’t deserve to remain employed stay.
Pros
Decent discount.
Cons
You are a number and treated as such!
Great people but uncertain future
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 30, 2018
-Typical work week would be minimal 50-60 hours and often 80-100.
-Learned a lot from mentors along the way which allowed me to grow, mature and be successful at West Marine.
-Best part of the job is working with great people and fun products
Pros
People and products
Cons
Time commitment to be successful vs time with family and pay.
WM was a great place to work!
Senior Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 24, 2018
Prior to the VC buyout, WM Merchants drove the marine aftermarket. I was privileged to be one of those who significantly influenced brand success, product innovation and with our entreprenurial spirit. we dominated the market.
Managing vendors, products, assortments, pricing, marketing as well as mentoring my Team, we had a BLAST!
I'm looking for a company like WM used to be that can use my talents!
theyre just mangled
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 20, 2018
Management is just horrible came into the job thinking it was gonna be awesome, turned out i was just straight up wrong. theyre problem is, theyve got people that have been working with the company for 75 years, get rid of em and rehire
Sometimes slow, sometimes quick paced.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dana Point, CAMay 18, 2018
Fun first job, but not a lot of room for a real career. Slow systems and outdated business plans. Catalogs and website dont offer the best customer experience.
Pros
Discounts, Pto
Cons
Inventory Structure
Hot environment.
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMay 18, 2018
Some people just wouldn’t adapt to the environment of the work place. It’s very hot, no phones so you will rarely know when break time until they call it out and sometimes their behind. Crowded when working over did I shifts. Never know when you can leave on time.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
Cons
Hot!
Corporate's thumb is suffocating
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 15, 2018
Customers often get very upset due to corporate rules, but end up going to corporate personally and getting what they want. This makes employees and individual stores look very bad.
Fast paced environment.
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 13, 2018
It's a fast paced environment and you need to be flexible and quick on execution. There are many meetings weekly to ensure cohesive execution of marketing campaigns. Travel is required and enjoyable.
Overall, friendly people to work with. Rewarding to assist store teams and see the rewards that follow with happy customers and positive sales results.
very productive work place
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMay 9, 2018
A typical day at work was just to come in and make sure you keep your productive up. that keeping your working space clean is important and your coworkers is a big part of choosing how your day would go. I believe the management there was great. Relaxed but hardworking. Reaching the higher places. stocking and sometimes being able to receive.
Pros
food and drinks, safety, breaks
Cons
air
so bad
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLMay 7, 2018
I dreaded work everyday. Management sucked and there was a lot of petty drama that was unexpected because theres just a bunch of old guys working there.
Overall: it could've been better.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 3, 2018
My current job at West Marine has been decent to say the least. The scheduling was a month in advance so when you're a young adult like me with spontaneous adventures and ideas for dates/hangouts with your friends, it was pretty unfair to get those days off. The staff is lackluster. I work at a "flagship" store and on most mornings/days we have a total of 4-6 employees out on the floor and 2 of them being designated in their area. The area of the of the store isn't exactly great for boating either, but that's a whole different story. I am just feeling the need to find another job title rather than being in retail for another year or so.
Pros
3 breaks a day, two 10 minutes and one 30 minute lunch.
Cons
You cannot get anyone to cover a shift for you with the amount of payroll that goes around.
good place to work if you like being in on or around the water
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 25, 2018
it was a good place to work if you liked being on in or around the water. typical retail work expect you receive great amounts of training on all of the products to help you sell/ inform the customers of the products.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 15, 2018
I would always help assist customers in the store with anything that they needed help with. I would work the register at some points, and then take phone calls whenever people called into the store.
great job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 12, 2018
Great job with a Great team. would recommend to anyone who wants to work in the boating world. I enjoyed my years there and moving up is actually quite easy.
Great job, lots of fun, bad pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLApril 10, 2018
I still frequent the store because I enjoy the people I used to work with, but the company as a whole is not willing to pay what your time is worth. In the Destin Market, they just don't pay well enough.
Pros
Discounts, Great employees and Managers
Cons
No pay.
okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 4, 2018
the first time I worked there in 2013, I really enjoyed it. The staff was friendly and helpful, the flow was upbeat and fast paced. When I returned in the summer of 2017, it was a whole new set of employees who seemed to have no interest in bettering the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Marine. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss