West Marine Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the industry and the products/brands
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 19, 2019
I enjoyed West Marine as a little part time job. However I felt HR could have did a much better job. There was a lot of things that went on there they didn't seem the right way for corporate policy.
Pros
I really liked the merchandise that I sold, I liked the industry, And I always enjoyed my customers who were frequent customers.
Cons
No insurance benefits, I felt management could have been a lot stronger.
Great workplace with fun staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIFebruary 18, 2019
This job is rewarding if you want it to be- great staff, fun environment, can get very busy but definitely worth it. Gold membership cards are worth more and increase the customer base
Pros
Spiffs on products
Cons
Busy
Great place to work if you love water life activities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 14, 2019
WestMarine is a specialized industry store, the main focus group is boat owners. Although the clothing and apparel section has reached out to all types of customers and the water sports section can appeal to everyone. Ideal employees will have some knowledge of boats or some sort of water activity (this helps to relate with customers) it is not a requirement though, WestMarine offers training programs that can help a driven individual to understand the basics of the products sold. Management is very friendly and everyone helps each other.
Pros
discounts on lots of cool stuff, flexible schedules
Cons
short breaks, rude customers
fun place
Assistant Manager 1 (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 11, 2019
fun place mostly good people. Some customers will judge your knowledge based on gender though, even if you know more about the product than the men on shift.
I hate this job
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCFebruary 5, 2019
this was the worst job I ever had I did not like the management team was very stressful they was very disrespectful they was not on your side to help you do your job the correct way
West Marine
Replenishment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJanuary 27, 2019
The culture is warming and understanding. I am highly self motivated, so I am glad there is growing career paths and bonus's every quarter. The most difficult part of my job to me, is that I cannot work remote. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I can positively effect over 250 stores, communities, consumers, co-workers, etc.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
no working remote
Great spirited company
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Atmosphere of teamwork and can do attitudes. Ability to plan career and advance from within. Lots of ownership of your position with limited micromanagement.
Poor General Managment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYJanuary 21, 2019
As a cashier I would follow the stores policys on returns and such. when i would ask a manager to come up to assist with an unhappy customer due to the policy, they would not follow policy and make me look like the bad guy or an idiot. Also, my general manager almost never leaves her office and sits in there on youtube and other things. very rarely does she even answer over the radio when an associate has a question or concern. she has very poor people skills and is usually very rude and quick to shoot you down. Very concerning how someone like this can be put in charge of associates and even worse a Flag Store.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short lunch breaks and no security
Unorganized retail business
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 17, 2019
Always understaffed, and always have way too many customers to be able to help out. Management was unorganized, and everything was always all over the place.
Great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIJanuary 12, 2019
I advanced quickly. It didn't feel like a job. We had fun with our work. I loved working there and wish I still worked there. Had some issues but it was resolved promptly
Pros
Customers
Cons
Winter
Large Cafeteria
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 8, 2019
The cafeteria was a pretty decent size and always stayed cleaned. I've never seen any type of bugs or lack of cleanliness in the warehouse. The outside area of the cafeteria was also closed in keeping animals or etc. from outside to enter into the building or area.
Pros
Decent Breaks
Cons
Heavy Products
Relaxed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 17, 2018
Fun job to work at but does not pay enough. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers and getting to know them on a personal level. There is really no place to grow in
A nice place to work with decent pay and some percs.
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CADecember 10, 2018
West Marine sailing through some rough seas. On the question below regarding the CEO and my approval. My response would be witch one. West Marine recently was purchased and is now held by a private management firm Monomoy Capital which intends to turn a profit in five years then sell the company
Pros
Lot's of work, good people, close to home
Cons
Staff less and work them more, Aggressive / time consuming change policy, Lots of turn over, Politics in Management, Don't think just do
Not the best job, not the worst either. Depends on your needs.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 7, 2018
Whether or not you'll enjoy working at West Marine depends a lot on which store you work at, whether it's a large store or a small one, and whether you even have any interest in the boating industry. If you want a 40 hr a week, decent paying position that will allow you to live, you pretty much have to be a Manager, at least an Asst. Manager. Some stores can't offer full time during the winter season. Some stores cap asst. manager pay at around $12-$13 which is not a living wage. If you don't maintain full time status, you aren't eligible to buy insurance.

That being said, if you're looking for a 15-20 hr a week part time job or you are just looking to supplement your income and don't need the benefits, it's easy to enjoy. The customers are primarily laid back, working class fishermen with a few yuppie snoots mixed in for good measure. There are some jerks here and there but in general, I have found West Marine customers to be much nicer than the average retail customer. The store managers in my district are awesome and the stores are good about working together to make sure customers get what they need & are happy.

Other stuff:
30 min. lunch breaks
Learn something new every day
Good PTO accrual rate as long as you aren't a seasonal employee
Gain sales experience
Opportunities to transfer to other stores if you want to move (for example: move from a small store to a bigger one that can offer more pay)
They usually promote from within so if you want to eventually be a store manager, it is possible to make a career of this job.
Pros
Friendly relaxed work environment, great managers
Cons
Less hours in winter, less than 30hrs a week not eligible to buy insurance, low pay rate
It was fine
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLNovember 29, 2018
It seemed that if you put your effort into a company for years they don't seem to care about that when it comes to medical leave. Or management change.
Pros
Store openings
Cons
Management changed
amazing manager and fun place to work, but A LOT to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXNovember 28, 2018
It doesn't matter how much you think you know about boating, you will have a lot to learn! Everyone struggles in the beginning and management isn't that great when it comes to training so it will take a few months for you to confidently say you have a hold of it. The plus side is you will have the BEST manager you will ever work for and a laid back environment. Pay sucks for what all responsibilities you will have, only thing that makes it worth it is the environment. customers are total JERKS though, they except you to know everything about boating when there is no way you can. Like what is the right weight of lube for a roller furling lol.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
short breaks, jerk customers
Mechanic/Sales (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CANovember 12, 2018
Enjoyed working here. Learned a lot about different boats while I was there. Met some great people. Management was great to work with. Was able to do a lot of the things I needed to do there because they always made sure they had the correct tools that was needed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
really no cons
Productive and Rewarding
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MANovember 6, 2018
I’ve worked for West Marine for almost four years now and I’ve seen the company make progress. Over the years the benefits have gotten better, management, and even ownership. The hours are flexible but the pay can be lack luster. The customers are for the most part friendly and rewarding to assist.
Pros
Friendly, Breaks, Good Experience
Cons
Pay
west marine
Inventory Manager/ Vendor Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 2, 2018
West Marine is definitely not for an individual who is stressed easily. At times, depending on the role and location, just as many other jobs, it is quite taxing. There are benefits.
I love west Marine
Selecter,picker,packer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 27, 2018
I wish I could go back to west Marinelove working at West Marine I wanna go back I have got sick an had the wrong number to call for me being out I never mean to quit they got me for no call no show but I did call

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Marine. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss