West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Arv Rugby
Arv (Current Employee) –  Rugby, WarwickshireJuly 7, 2018
Think very carefully about this role and speak to officers before deciding. I have been an afo at Rugby for nearly 10 years and it is the worst it has ever been. There is a reason why we cant recruit and retain staff. We had 70 + afos 5 years ago and are down 28.

The role profile is extremely woolly and you end up being a "county broom" to clear up the Storm list at the will of local sergeants and inspectors. You have little protection and support from anyone other then your direct supervisors. You will be hated by everyone from controllers to probationers and be expected to deal with everything. Your job profile will be local policing Arv rather then an operations officer.

My experience of the tfcs are that there is a reluctance to authorise anything. A few are fine the others are not so.

Arv numbers are that low getting leave can be an issue but on the positive side there is plenty of overtime opportunities.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Plenty
Control room - Enjoyable job but poor management
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  ShrewsburyJune 17, 2018
A very rewarding job with good rates of pay however it’s an extremely stressful environment at times. There is very little back up from the management if and when things go wrong despite their claims.

It’s very hard to get annual leave and time off despite other departments being allowed higher numbers of staff members being off at any one time.

The working environment is pleasant and the colleagues are great to work with, there is definitely a commarardery amongst the staff however moral is pretty low due to major staff shortages and threat of redundancy.

The job is fulfilling, you get to speak to some great people and work along side some fabulous people but management really don’t seem to care about their staff.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and little flexibility for time off
Undervalued
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  ShrewsburyJune 16, 2018
West Mercia Police Control Room do not value their staff. Stretch them to the limits and focus on the negative

Working for West Mercia Police has been hard work but enjoyable due to the friends and colleagues I have.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
management
No comment
Police Support Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Telford, ShropshireJune 7, 2018
Helping with AntiSocial Behaviour issues call backs for the harmed Unit. I started in 2015 at the Police Station.
I have learned about hate crime, acid attacks, sexting, modern day slavery, human trafficking, internet scams, action fraud, racism.
I read unpleasant reports about anti social behaviour, it helps to be able to read between the lines. Have a logical mind.
I have done this for two and half years and I am now going to do Safer Road Antisocial Behaviour issues, and I volunteer for fund raising for K999 OAP Retirement dog fund.
We have a good line manager / Sergant. He always keeps us up to date. I work amongst police officers and staff and other volunteers.
Its great to help someone and show them you care.
The hardest part is probably not being paid, but I love to volunteer and it pays me in many ways, like experience and it is giving me confidence as I have been out of work for a long time.
Diverse cultures.
Pros
Milage paid
Cons
Unpaid
Challenging and dynamic role
Response Inspector (Current Employee) –  TelfordApril 23, 2018
Policing is complex and not always glamorous. Every day presents new challenges. However, it does offer a genuine opportunity to make a positive difference.

It takes a certain type of person to make a good Police Officer. You don't have to be the brightest, strongest or quickest, but good communication, decision making and problem solving skills are a must.

There are many different avenues to take as a police officer e.g. Response, Local Policing, CID and major enquiries, Firearms, Traffic etc. and there are promotion avenues through any of these.

There is a strong emphasis on continual improvement. Whilst this may sometimes be driven by the media's often over critical focus on perceived failings, there is a genuine organisational culture to be better.

The equipment that we are given to work with is sometimes far from the best - particularly ICT. However, Police are adept at making things work to their advantage.

I have spent Thirty years in the role. I've had the full mix of good and bad days and there have been occasions when I've questioned staying, BUT...
- Do I still like my job working for West Mercia Police - 'Yes', and
- Am I proud to tell people what I do for a living - 'Very much so'.
Pros
Can be a very rewarding job particularly in being able to make a positive difference for people.
Cons
It can at times be very frustrating, when things unfortunately go wrong it can make for a really bad day at the office.
Learned a lot of valuable work and life skills
Secretary (Current Employee) –  WorcesterFebruary 13, 2018
Worked for the force since 2004 a lot of changes have happened. Very professional organisation. Have gained valuable work life skills.

Very good annual leave flexible working and pension benefits.
Pros
annual leave and pension benefits
busy
civilian (Current Employee) –  ShrewsburyJanuary 10, 2018
interesting jobs and wonderful people, unpredictable but thats the fun of it. too many changes over the years. many varying roles. very hard workers. well done west mercia front line officers.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
higher management
Great work life balance
HR Recruitment Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  HindlipNovember 16, 2017
Love the work life balance here and the support from management and the team. The people are great to work with and are very supportive and the organisation definitely values their employees.
Great place to work; lovely friendly colleagues
PA to Divisional Commander (Former Employee) –  WorcestershireOctober 14, 2017
- Early start and late finish. Daily meeting/diary review with Divisional Commander

- I learned to cope in very demanding situations

- On the whole the Management Team were extremely good

- Happy, fun, but very busy

- When working in Major Incident Rooms, we often worked 14 days without a weekend off (not Work time Directive then in place)

- Generally a great atmosphere, I made some life long friends; both support staff and Police Officers of various ranks
Pros
Occasional bonus in recognition of workload etc
Good employer
Planner (Current Employee) –  Worcester, WorcestershireSeptember 11, 2017
Good place to work. Good prospects. Good work colleagues. Variation of jobs and experience. Depending on role thar you carry out good wages. Very disciplined emoyer but necessary for roles that are carried out.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Stressful job
Job satisfaction
Call Handler (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, ShropshireSeptember 3, 2017
Taking calls from members of the public, learning various laws.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with very demanding people and ditressing situations. THe best part is making a difference.
project manager
Business Change Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Droitwich, WorcestershireApril 18, 2017
its good, its fine its close it is temporary and pay is lower than expected. if they paid a grade higher I would be prepared to say but as I said its temp
Great team, bad management
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, WarwickshireMarch 16, 2017
Great office with dedicated staff, however huge turnover and bad management. Everyone is always working over their hours, this is expected as the normal now which is a shame for anyone who has other commitments outside of work. Very much geared to career people only with little room for people who just want to come in and do a good job without getting involved in politics and pushing their way to the top.
Pros
Annual leave entitlement, maternity leave, flexi time
Cons
Management, long hours, unpleasant culture
Highly entertaining
Full-time Police Collision Investigator (Former Employee) –  WorcesterMarch 14, 2017
Already reviewed
It seems as though the algorithm for the website links dates to reviews but will not allow for different jobs within the same organisation
Challenging and rewarding career
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  ShropshireFebruary 28, 2017
Fully recommend the role of a Police officer as a career choice. It will push you to your limits on occasions but the rewards are satisfying knowing you can make a difference.
Great environment to work in
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Redditch, WorcestershireFebruary 6, 2017
Great people and great work ethic amongst the team. Thoroughly enjoyed being apart of an amazing work force. The role gave me key skills that i will have for the rest of my life.
Excellent place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Redditch, WorcestershireFebruary 6, 2017
With many challenges in today's society it can be rewarding and demanding work,
I have learnt to make split second decisions, how to negotiate and deal with victims of crime
Interesting and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedworth, WarwickshireJanuary 24, 2017
On a daily basis I am assigned a number of jobs that relate to issues within my local community. This can be from investigating and resolving a neighbour dispute or attending meetings at schools to teach children about safety. I learn new things everyday, as I spend most my time at work engaging with the public, local officials and governing bodies. I have learnt to be a better communicator, investigator and my work ethic has improved a great deal. The police force is a great environment to work in, everyone works as a team and are always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job can be the issues we sometimes come face to face with, this can often be emotionally testing however it has made me a stronger person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is making a difference and helping people.
Excellent work experience
Cadet (Current Employee) –  Redditch, WorcestershireJanuary 9, 2017
Cadets is a well run scheme with enthusiastic team leaders. It encourages team working, independent leadership and lateral thinking. It is an excellent way of seeing if the police is a possible future career.
Interesting, Challenging, Demanding & Rewarding
Police Area Commander Inspector (Former Employee) –  HerefordshireJune 8, 2016
Fresh challenges & opportunities daily.

Strong team ethos.

Community at heart of role.

Testing and rewarding with many roles.

A career not to drift into.