West Pharmaceutical Services Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for with great vision
Supervisor Particle Analysis Lab (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAOctober 13, 2019
West is an amazing and ever growing company to work. The management really believes in its visions and continuously work towards achieving them. Little improvements can be made towards companies policies but its there in all companies. Overall, recommended.
Good job
Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 7, 2019
Working at west was a great experience of what type of job I became great at. The training and technique I learn are what I'm going to keep with me to keep gaining more knowledge.
It’s was nice being there. People were nice. Just the pay was low.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 23, 2019
Yes you can come over there at five and I’ll let ya go and get it done either one of you will have it for you haha was the day that you got me goin I wanna I love you and ehhh you know right there haha
Pros
Always on time. Does anything asked.
good place to work with advancement opportunities
Production Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe ArizonaSeptember 8, 2019
great place to work was on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week managed 4 shifts with 46 presses and 130 molds. supervised over 118 workers with 4 supervisors and 8 leads. managed the molding department
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
turnover rate
It pays the bills
Production Operator I (Current Employee) –  Kinston, NCSeptember 6, 2019
West started out as a good company.. different management came and it’s been going down ever since. The pay is good though! Quarterly bonuses and the healthcare is decent. If you can deal with petty and unconcerned people then this would be great for you.
Complete disorder and confusion
N/A (Current Employee) –  Exton, PASeptember 3, 2019
West is an environment where you are hired for your skills and knowledge however when you use your expertise to do your job, you are reprimanded and in some cases placed on a performance improvement plan. There is no professional development, succession planning or cross functional training. There is a high turnover rate. When someone leaves West, their responsibilities are randomly assigned to anyone on the team. The pay is low and the hours are long.

The Executives are aware of this because every year it is reported in the annual survey. Their response is coffee with the Executive. Not 100% sure how coffee will solve the problem. Communication from the leadership consist of repetitive sound bites at quarterly and town hall meetings and the rumor mill. There is so much in-fighting between the leadership and departments the environment is cut throat, teams operate in silos and moral is low.

But hey, if you like to work in this type of environment then West is the place for you.
Pros
Starbucks and the stock price
Cons
The leadership
Long hours, low wages
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 1, 2019
Worked 2nd shift 6pm-6am. Fast paced assembly work. If you don't keep up the pace, the machine leads can act like control freaks at times, stepping in to assemble your pieces for you. Instead of going to breaks and lunches on time, you will have to cover for people on other machines sometimes, and take your lunch late. High turnover.
Poor
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIAugust 25, 2019
I was once screamed at by a fellow coworker to do my bleeping job in front of a truck driver. Anywhere else they would have been fired immediately. But not at west. Oh no. They barely got a slap on the wrist. My boss also gave poor performance reviews. He only focused on every single mistake you made throughout the year. Never any positive reinforcement.
good company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAAugust 5, 2019
good company to work for. should promote internally more instead of external hires. new management bringing new perspectives which is good. good place to work
Benefits out weigh cons
Production (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 31, 2019
Limited advancement opportunities and career development with current management at site level. Otherwise, the company has multiple financial benefits includes stock options, 401k match, and site performance bonuses.
Good place to start career
R&D Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 27, 2019
Its a good company to start your career if you are interested in medical device industry. Long term may depend on your office politics skills and color of your skin.
September 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are glad to hear you feel like West is a great place to start your career in the containment and injectable devices. At West, we are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. We understand that diversity is key to our success and know that a diverse workforce leads to greater innovation, more opportunities, better access to talent and stronger business performance.

We encourage a culture of mutual respect, where everyone feels valued and respected and can bring their authentic self to work every day, helping to foster an environment that enables our team members to stay energized, focused and committed to doing their best. We embed diversity and inclusion strategies in our recruitment branding and internal messaging and continue to cultivate relationships with external organizations and partners to source diverse talent.

Thanks again for sharing your positive feedback.

Corporate Agendas Rule
Mold Technician (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJuly 24, 2019
Worked at West for 7 years. Had my job cut out from under me twice. They offered new placement within the factory, but left no choice of I wanted to keep my job. Corporate kept cutting benefits, time off, and management implemented more and more strict attendance policies after employees started taking full advantage of the time off allowed after 2 years of overtime. Money is good, if you can handle the heat.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Employees just a number, false communication, poor working environment
September 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are grateful for your hard work at our Kearney site.

Because of several factors include shifting of customers and our ongoing strategy to focus on growth, sometimes change is needed to support our strategy. Change can bring about difficult decisions, but necessary to best support our customers and the business, and our priority continues to be the support of our team members during times of transition.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit this review.

N/a
N/A (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAJuly 22, 2019
Workplace and management has changed, it's not what it used to be. I hope management realizes that people is what makes a company successful. Remember to treat them kindly.
September 17, 2019

Employee satisfaction is very important to us, and it is troubling to hear your perception of our leadership team at West. However, we thank you for your input, as it is important to hear feedback in order to create a work environment where team members feel they're valued, treated fairly and respected. We are committed to treating and developing all team members in a fair way, with the absence of any favoritism or bias treatment.

Our leadership and management team is held accountable for high-performance and standards, and we feel our committed group of leaders is one of the many things that makes West so special.

It is engrained in our values and an expectation of our management to treat our team members fairly and with respect. We strongly encourage our team members that if they don’t feel this is the way we are operating, to please reach out to a member of leadership or Human Resources to communicate your concerns, as we rely on team member feedback to help us improve.

Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Say goodbye to your weekends!
Maintenance Electrical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 20, 2019
Where to start? Well, let’s start with the good.
The best thing about working at West Pharmaceutical is the money and benefits. The pay is good and above average for the industry. The benefits are better than most employers in the area. You will make good money while you are here, But you will earn every penny of it.

Now to the bad part of working for West Pharmaceutical:
--You will be working obscene amounts of overtime. 6 and 7 days a week, every week. Lots of forced overtime. There is no work/life balance with this company. And since you have to take time off to do everyday things, like dr. visits and family things, that means you will be working a lot of those overtime hours for straight time. And also, because they are always behind on orders, you are limited to when you can use your vacation days to take off.

--This is a physically exhausting job. This is a big plant and there is a lot of equipment here. You will be working in all sorts of temperature extremes, tight spaces, etc. Large equipment to small, antique to modern and everything in between. Documentation is sketchy on a lot of the machines. Some equipment was built in house, or may be from some vendor overseas, so getting someone on the phone who can help you troubleshoot it is often impossible. The maintenance department is permanently short staffed, so a lot of the time you are running behind the whole shift.

--Poor morale. Partly due to the high turnover, Partly due to the forced overtime and Partly due to oppressive and strict management. You can and will get ‘occurences’ for just about anything.
  more... 8 of those and your fired. Even family emergencies aren’t a valid excuse to miss work. Also, since there are no sick days , if you call in sick, you will get an occurrence. It takes a calendar year for an occurrence to come off your record.

--There are camera’s everywhere in the plant, except the bathrooms. You are always being watched.

--Petty management and policies. In one case, the managers actually walked out on the production floor during the presidential cell phone alert test, in order to try and catch people with their cell phones sounding off, so they could write them up. You aren't allowed to have cell phones on the production floor.
Another example of their vindictive behavior was a company picnic that management had planned for a Saturday. When enough people didn’t sign up to go(cause everybody wants an off day), management decided to take those who did sign up, somewhere nicer and force everyone else to work that Saturday. Yeah, that’s a true story.

--This company also does random drug tests. So there is that to look forward too.

--Extremely disorganized management structure. You often end up doing the same job multiple times because a different manager will want it done a different way. There is no organized chain of command, so you get conflicting orders all the time. It’s very frustrating to have to do the same job 2 or 3 times because there is no communication between departments.

--Also, you are constantly moving machinery around on the production floor. The reason is they believe it helps production, but of course, it never does. The downside to this for maintenance people is that moving the equipment is a big job. You have to run new air lines, water lines, electric, steam , etc. Sometimes you will move a huge machine only a few feet. And you do this all the time. I was amazed at how often they wanted equipment moved around and how it resulted in absolutely no boost in anything. It’s just a lot of pointless work.

Like I said earlier, the pay and benefits are good, but it is not a fun or even enjoyable place to work. It's a big, impersonal company. There are lots and lots of rules. Lots and lots of bosses and a work schedule that consumes your whole life.
September 17, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We are committed to offering our team members a variety of valuable benefits to help care for them and their families, and we are glad to hear your positive feedback in this area.

Regarding overtime, work/life integration is very important to us, and we are constantly looking at ways to schedule shifts in a way that will work best for our team members while enabling us to best meet the demands of our customers. We appreciate your feedback in this area and will continue to look at ways to improve.

Although some attrition is inevitable and natural for any organization, we are proud to say that our global turnover rate is actually below the industry average. It is true we have seen an increase year over year on an annualized basis, however the increase is less than one percent and still below industry average.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review.

This job really sucked
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 16, 2019
Worst working experience of my life. Just never got the idea of all the hours of down time that was tolerated. That and the fact that they mandated weekend work to do pretty much nothing but sit in a room and watch maintenance men work on their machies
September 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

Regarding the mandatory weekends your role required, work/life integration is very important to us, and we are constantly looking at ways to schedule shifts at our manufacturing sites in a way that will work best for our team members while enabling us to best meet the demands of our customers. We appreciate your feedback in this area and will continue to look at ways to improve.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Machine Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Walker, MIJune 25, 2019
Personally I've had a great experience in my time so far with the company/management. They definitely take into account/consideration employees feedback and work to address and issues/concerns for many things including ways to improve and make things easier/better for us to better perform our roles. Also plenty of opportunity as we continue to grow for advancement. Pay could be better however isn't to terrible and they usually have overtime available which is completely voluntary. Decent breaks, benefits, stock options 401k and many other good benefits
Pros
Healthcare, advancemnt opportunity
Cons
Hours
September 17, 2019

Thank you for sharing feedback on your employment with West. We strive to offer competitive pay and benefits, as well as foster a positive working environment for all our employees, and we’re pleased you’ve decided to share your experience.

It is encouraging to hear that you feel that the environment is one where we are open to feedback – we try to encourage that to all of our team members. We glad to hear you feel there are opportunities to grow within West.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide a positive review of West.

Great Culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAJune 16, 2019
Mid-sized globally focused organization with small company feel. Company has excellent leadership and organization structure to better penetrate new market segments. This has lead to growing pains, but the company is looking towards the future and the role it plays in the injectable pharmaceutical space.
September 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to foster a positive work environment for all our team members and are very pleased when we hear positive feedback.

Our culture is very important to us here at West, and our leadership team enjoys hearing from our team members and are always open to suggestions that can help us continue to improve. We are committed to providing learning experiences, trainings and other opportunities for the development of our team members, and we are glad to hear you affirm that as well.

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a positive review of your experience at West!

Horrible
Molding Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJune 13, 2019
Management tells employees they are overpaid uneducated workers.
If you have a family or trying for a family not the place to work
Management constantly lie and cannot be trusted.
We are treated with disrespect.
They belittle us
Pros
Pay and benefit
Cons
Management. Hr is a joke
June 14, 2019

Employee satisfaction is very important to us, and it is disappointing to hear your perception of West. However, we thank you for your input, as it is important to hear feedback in order to create a work environment where team members feel they're valued, treated fairly and respected.

We strive to offer competitive pay and benefit packages for our team members, and we are glad to hear you affirm that in your review.

Our leadership and management team are held accountable for high-performance and standards, and we feel our committed group of leaders is one of the many things that makes West so special.

It is engrained in our values and an expectation of our management to treat our team members fairly and with respect. We strongly encourage our team members that if they don’t feel this is the way we are operating, to please reach out to a member of leadership or Human Resources to communicate your concerns. We hope you had taken the time to speak with your Supervisor, HR, or another member of management as we rely on team member feedback to help us improve.

Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Facilities Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 7, 2019
The people are friendly and help anyone, management is decent, constantly evolving. HR department is friendly, open door policy for any issues. Recommend this place.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Too much overtime
June 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review – we are happy to hear your positive feedback. We strongly encourage two-way communication between HR, Management and our team members, and we are glad to hear you affirm that in your review.

Thank you for your hard work, and for taking the time to share your experience.

Fun, great place to work!
Assmebler (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 5, 2019
Awesome place to work but scheduling is not the best for me with a small child it’s become very hard for me to find a day care for every Saturday other then that west pharmaceutical we a very good place to work everyone on the shift I work is so very nice everyone gets along
June 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and we are glad to hear your positive feedback. We think it’s important to have fun at work, and we are happy to hear you feel that way as well!

Regarding the weekends your role requires, work/life integration is very important to us, and we are constantly looking at ways to schedule shifts at our manufacturing sites in a way that will work best for our team members while enabling us to best meet the demands of our customers. We appreciate your feedback in this area and will continue to look at ways to improve.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Pharmaceutical Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight