West Valley College Employee Reviews

Great environment for learning! However, certain things should change.
Administrative Assistant-Admissions Office (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMay 9, 2018
I loved working here because my coworkers became like family to me. However, there are certain things about management and the culture that need to change. First, the administration does not always communicate swiftly with the department heads, and the supervisors often do not communicate effectively with the department heads, causing communication barriers/miscommunications that take away from work effectiveness.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things, because it was a very collaborative atmosphere! And the work celebrations/holidays!
Pros
Holiday gatherings, luncheons, & college atmosphere!
Cons
See review.
Stressful environment always short staffed
Catering Assistant/Server/cashier (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJanuary 20, 2018
Under pressure and low salary.. no exact position you do everything .. miss communications between boss and employees and no exact hours .. cashier, catering, prepping is done by one person ..
Pros
Off when school out
Cons
Short breaks
Great Experience with Great People
Financial Aid Technician II (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAApril 24, 2017
I enjoyed my entire time at West Valley College, I had made great friendships and learned so much about financial aid. Management was very open to taking in my ideas about how to better connect with students. The compensation is not bad, however, we do a lot of work and should deserve a better compensation. This position kept me busy and provided daily challenges for me which only made me a better worker. The best part of this job though were the people.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, the people, challenges, work/life balance
Cons
bratty students, compensation could be better
Captioning
Realtime Captioner (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 16, 2018
Love working with people who require the skills of a captioner. They are always grateful. Good environment to work in. Mentally challenging job to have, but it's a good challenge.
Workplace environment
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJanuary 12, 2018
I don't know how else I can describe the environment created at West Valley College. I love working here! My manager is extremely knowledgeable about her job and makes sure her staff are safe from any feisty parents and students. Even though we receive monthly pay, The pay is incredibly reasonable and also very helpful for a student like me. The amount of work the management have employees do is extremely fair, considering how much we were being paid. The overall aura of this workplace is enjoyable and relaxing, it feels like you're not even working at all.
Pros
Free food!
I was a contracotr
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 24, 2017
I only work at West Valley for a short period of time. I did work long enough to evaluate my work or the administration. If I was working longer, I probably would of been able to rate the institution.
Pros
Being a contractor
Cons
No Health Benefits
Very productive place to work
Marketing Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJanuary 19, 2018
One of the best places to work as far as the overall culture is concerned. Like most higher learning institution there is the politics that you have to learn to work through, or overcome limits that are placed upon the departments, in order to do the job that's required. It's then that the dependability of the people who work within the office has become so valuable.
Outreach (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 14, 2014
Went to various high schools and businesses and talk about the importance of College and all the great programs that West Valley College offered.
Pros
Having a chance to encourage student to pursuit higher education
Cons
No benefits because I was part time.
Great People, Friendly Work Environment.
Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant  (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 5, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. The employees there were very nice and friendly. I worked with students with special needs and the staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Positive Collaboration
MARKETING COMMITTEE MEMBER/ STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJanuary 29, 2018
I worked with the Marketing Committee to help update the marketing at West Valley College. We also set up booths at high schools, recruit students, and sat on information panels to help students choose where they should go for college.
Federal Work Study
Medical assistant teacher's assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CADecember 6, 2017
I was a student with the federal work study program. I worked with the healthcare technologies teacher. It was a fun place to work. I learned some more things than if I learned them in class. My most enjoyable part was to be able to be trusted to help the students.
Wonderful Group!
Biology Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CADecember 1, 2017
I loved working in the Science & Math Division. I wish I didn't have to move!! The Biology department is a truly collaborative group. They really care about their students and the education they are getting!
Pros
The People for sure!
Nice place to work while going to school.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMay 2, 2017
My typical day at work would be helping students with getting books and multimedia. I would also keep work area and student areas clean for use. I also organized books and multimedia in their necessary locations.Management were friendly people and I learned from them the tasks that I had to do.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not Sure
good college
Tutor students in Organic Chemistry (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 10, 2017
good people there. good environment for working and learning. educated and willing to help each other out. provide a professional for all students to be success in there career.
Learning environment
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJune 11, 2017
During this job opportunity, I had the chance to interact with students and instructors. I learned about laboratory tools and procedures. This work further helped me with my own chemistry courses and apply them to my personal knowledge. Every day in this job was a learning experience. The workplace never had a repeated agenda because each day and each quarter followed with different tasks and laboratory procedure.
Cons
Very good about break
Productive and learning workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMay 29, 2016
This is program that receives a federal grant to help students succeed in college.
As an Office assistant my typical day consists of
Answering phones
School data entry
Filing
Refer students to any needed or specific program specially if student has special needs.
Student interaction
Planning special program events for students
Recruiting
The director of the program serves as a faculty member of the colleges and school counselor.
Pros
School positions let you interact with a lot of students and faculty members of college, creating great networks for future reference.
Cons
Temporary position during school semester
The department I work for is great. The people are nice.
Senior Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saratoga, CADecember 26, 2016
There are pluses and minuses to all jobs and West Valley is not excluded from this.

Some of the buildings are very old, like the one I work in. Others are new.

The District is currently rolling out a new computer system. So the next 2-3 years will be tough. Everyone is on the same field when it comes to understanding how to do their work with the system. Banner has a lot of glitches and is one of the worse computer programs I have ever used.
Pros
Free Clothing, the views spectacular.
Cons
Banner is new, the cost of living in that area is outrageous.
Collaborative and friendly working environment
Clerical assistant (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAMarch 7, 2013
It was a good place to work as student. My responsabilities changed avery day, sometimes helping costumers over the phone, or design flyers for some classes and entering registration information in the system. I was lucky to have such nice people working around. It was a very friendly and collaborative environment. I cannot think about a really "hard" part, I was able to execute all of the tasks I was required. I enjoyed the team work and the flexible schedule.
Pros
the campus is nice and surrounded by nature
Cons
it is far from commercial places
Friendly environment focused on helping students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saratoga, CAJuly 4, 2017
The Math Resource Center at West Valley College was a large room where any student could request assistance from peers or from professors. A large red binder stored a queue of students waiting for help.
Pros
Reviewing the math from previous semesters helped solidify concepts
Cons
Not all students easy to help
Great Customer Service Position
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Willow Glen, CAFebruary 13, 2017
People skills is a must while working in retail. I loved working for Longs and advanced pretty quickly. I started as a cashier in high school then took over the Hallmark department and shortly after was promoted upstairs to the Bookkeeper position.