West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources

West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Employee Reviews

my experience
Accountant/Auditor II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 4, 2018
my supervisors and coworkers within my division and OAMR were and are exemplary people to work with.

If after completing my Masters in Public Administration would have lead to a possible promotion and experience using WVOasis and training with grants, I would still be there.
Pros
annual leave, sick leave, holidays off
Cons
salary and lack of advancement
as a civil servant you are subject to the whims of the public and government officials
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, WVAugust 8, 2018
typical day your day is cyclic some days your so busy you can expect to have to deal with a lot of stress. keep the public happy keep the managers happy be optimistic ..
the hardest part of the job is the continual need to learn new policy and new programs, and try to do your job with less than adequate equipment to do it with. Most of the jobs are not something that can be taught in a classroom or in a college. They are job specific. One must be very interested in feeling good about themselves by helping others. One cannot maintain an optimistic attitude if they want to do the jobs offered by DHHR for the money. the benefits are good. insurance days off PTO time, etc. One must be ready and available to learn as each new administration takes office. If you do not like your job as the ex chief M Waybright told the Agency "find another".
I enjoy helping others. I am usually able to feel good about what i can do with helping those in low poverty situations. I realize it is more than money but we all need to be able to afford necessities like food clothing and shelter., so when an across the board raise is given we are very thankful. of course then the health insurance premiums take a hike. but then again if it wasn't that it would be something else. (I tend to look at things in a positive manner) . :)
Pros
paid leave
Cons
less than comparable salaries
they dont care about people unless you kiss their butts and brown nose
Child Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25404August 26, 2018
they don't care about ppl, they thing the job is a privledge and not something you earned, the director of human resources call the employees "glorified clerical workers"
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
they dont care about ppl, they hire ppl for klicks, they reward brown nosers only.
Good people, low pay.
Determination Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 13, 2018
The DHHR culture is so entrenched that it is almost impossible to bring in quality people at a decent wage. There seem to be a lot of people underemployed and a few people over employed.
Pros
State benefits, retirement option
Cons
Low wages, very little ability for advancement regardless of qualifications
Toxic work environment from upper management
Regional Home Finding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, WVAugust 16, 2018
Toxic non-social work principled upper management. Disgraceful treatment of employees targeted. Management stated they prefer to hire men because they do not get pregnant, and educated social workers are the worst job performers.
Pros
Direct supervisor for Regional position was exemplary
Cons
Local management is abusive
west virginia department of health and human resources
Program Manager I (Office of Laboratory Services) (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJuly 24, 2018
The west Virginia department of health and human resources allowed me to gain the knowledge and experience to further advance in my career. I was able to advance in my position to a program manager due to the overall experience I gained.
Pros
holidays and sick leave
Cons
employee recognition
Happy employees
Youth Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Spencer, WVNovember 8, 2018
Great people to work with. stressful court dates, multiple cases at one times
would work there again. excellent pay package
multiple states of involvement
Pros
schedule
It's aight.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WV 25301October 1, 2018
You make a ton of money as an intern. A stupid amount of money. If you're a college student and can get an internship here, go for it. It's easy and they pay you.
Pros
Easy
Work History
CPS Worker (Current Employee) –  WVJuly 24, 2018
There is a major discrepancy in the amount of work for the amount of pay. The people are great to work with and are very supportive but the pay does not equate to the cost of living.
Extreme stress with insufficient rewards
Child Protective Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 6, 2017
Work life at the WV DHHR, BCF, is a mix between being extremely overworked, having management that fronts a caring attitude yet making unreasonable demands, and having a few moments of feeling satisfied with the work being performed. There isn't a great deal that I have learned from this job that I did not know before; I knew what to expect going into this career. I knew the work pace and amount would be large, although the load was far larger than I imagined. Management espouses taking care of oneself mentally and physically yet provides no relief or assistance for those workers that are about to break from the stress. The most difficult part of this job is keeping up with a workload that is 4-5 times the amount social workers can actually handle. The most enjoyable parts of this job are centered around those you can actually help when you have sufficient time to do actual social work and not damage control.

Any job can be difficult and stressful. However, this career for this agency in this area is stressful enough to see workers burn out before even their first year is up with no solutions being developed among administration to help with the massive caseloads.
Pros
Good benefits, ability to manage your own time to suit your needs for the job
Cons
Extreme caseloads, extreme hours on the job, and no time for a life outside of work.
I learned a lot about computer troubleshooting at this job
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 7, 2018
This was a temporary job through the Manpower Temp Service. Although Temporary, the hours were full time. As I picked up on claims processing, I also helped coworkers with computer issues. Everything from deleting documents off their desktop to changing the desktop wallpaper. This was a fun job and I miss working there.
Pros
Fun, relaxing, an office environment that offered a variety of tasks with no nonsense
Cons
low pay, temporary position
Stressful
Child Protective Services Worker/Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Mingo County, WVFebruary 15, 2018
A typical work day starts around 8-9, you check emails that are telling you new laws or your not working fast enough to keep up with the 100 cases they have piled on your desk, then you either go to court, out in the field to see clients or in the office. I definitely learned a lot of child law & how the public that you are trying to help thinks you are nothing but an evil unfair underground adoption agency taking their kids because you can... I learned that the harder you worked the more cases you were given, only to be told you were not working fast enough to make the supervisors & state happy. You are pretty much told that you need to work 24/7 at work and at home to maintain your caseload with very little acknowledgement of how hard you are working & the good job you have done. The culture is constantly stressed, you are constantly hovered over to see production in cases, they wanted you to put every case in one box or "model" & treat them all the same. Each family dynamic is different and not all cases can be put in the same box no matter how you try, this gives little room to be fair in cases. The hardest part of the job is the amount of neglect & abuse you will see. You would think that a small county wouldn't have the amount of neglect and abuse it does, but, add an ever growing drug epidemic, poor economic growth, poor education & you have a recipe for neglect & abuse of epic proportions for a small area. You have ex's. neighbors or family that call in false reports that take time away from families who truly can use your assistance. You definitely have job security  more... if you can mentally sustain the things you will witness & observe. There is little room for promotion, in this area once you get a state job, unless someone is retiring, moving or can't handle the job anymore, you won't be moving up the ranks until then. However, I did enjoy my job. I loved working with children, I loved working with the families that wanted to move toward a better life for themselves & children.  less
Pros
Employee lunches/parties, longevity pay
Cons
Constant harping to meet deadlines, over load of cases per worker
stressful
Economic Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25402August 25, 2017
highly stressful job with lack of promotion and very little pay and no pay raises. You don't receive the positive feedback from management usually it was negative.
Economic Service Worker | Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25404April 26, 2018
I enjoyed the job but I had to move. I would love to work their again. I enjoy meeting people and having a good work environment . All co-workers were team players. I company supplied all education needed to learn the job.
Child Protective Service Worker
Child Protective Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Marlinton, WVSeptember 20, 2017
This is a fast paced stressful job. There are not enough hours in the day to complete the tasks needed to be an efficient worker. Burn out rate is high as are caseloads. BUT helping families is very rewarding and with good supervisor support the job is manageable and worth it. There is a lot of travel with this job but billable to the Department. You're able to use state and rental cars when available. It takes a strong special person to do this job and if you're able to take some pressure this job is definitely for you. Organizational skills are advised.
Pros
Good benefits and great coworkers
Cons
Very high stress
Challenging, yet friendly workplace
Health and Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 2, 2018
Challenging, and friendly workplace. Employees are encouraged to meet goals, and often have the ability to make differences in people's lives. I have been made aware of full-time positions for which I could very well be hired. However, my part-time, temporary status with the DHHR has allowed me the time and focus to nearly finish a Masters' degree.
Highly stressful
Child Protective Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrisville, WVApril 19, 2017
Long hours for low pay. On call 24/7 with no financial compensation for being on call. Requires alot of time and dedication to do the job well and administration is not appreciative of your efforts.
Pros
job security
Cons
stressful, long hours, unappreciated
Management does not back employees. Very difficult to work there.
Child Protective Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 27, 2013
I was a CPS worker. The days were very hectic. The supervisors did not train workers on what needed to be done and time frames, but would get upset when time frames were not met. A typical day was getting calls about abused/neglected children. Some of my co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was taking children away from a good home and putting them back into a bad home. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and helping children and families.
Pros
retirement.
Cons
no raise unless the Govenor passed raises, Some people have been there for over 10 years and have never gotten a raise.
Agency cares for the clients it serves.
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25402March 10, 2018
Determining and meeting the needs of clients with the limited resources available is a challenge. I leaned to improvise using the resources available. Workplace is generally relaxed. Hardest part of job is not meeting the clients needs due to lack of resources.
Good beginning job
Employee (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVFebruary 19, 2017
Stable working environment, good benefits, good hours. Very low pay. Friendly workplace culture. Upper-management lacks consistency and professionalism.