West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources

West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Employee Reviews

Happy employees
Youth Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Spencer, WVNovember 8, 2018
Great people to work with. stressful court dates, multiple cases at one times
would work there again. excellent pay package
multiple states of involvement
Pros
schedule
It's aight.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WV 25301October 1, 2018
You make a ton of money as an intern. A stupid amount of money. If you're a college student and can get an internship here, go for it. It's easy and they pay you.
Pros
Easy
Cons
they dont care about people unless you kiss their butts and brown nose
Child Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25404August 26, 2018
they don't care about ppl, they thing the job is a privledge and not something you earned, the director of human resources call the employees "glorified clerical workers"
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
they dont care about ppl, they hire ppl for klicks, they reward brown nosers only.
Toxic work environment from upper management
Regional Home Finding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, WVAugust 16, 2018
Toxic non-social work principled upper management. Disgraceful treatment of employees targeted. Management stated they prefer to hire men because they do not get pregnant, and educated social workers are the worst job performers.
Pros
Direct supervisor for Regional position was exemplary
Cons
Local management is abusive
as a civil servant you are subject to the whims of the public and government officials
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, WVAugust 8, 2018
typical day your day is cyclic some days your so busy you can expect to have to deal with a lot of stress. keep the public happy keep the managers happy be optimistic ..
the hardest part of the job is the continual need to learn new policy and new programs, and try to do your job with less than adequate equipment to do it with. Most of the jobs are not something that can be taught in a classroom or in a college. They are job specific. One must be very interested in feeling good about themselves by helping others. One cannot maintain an optimistic attitude if they want to do the jobs offered by DHHR for the money. the benefits are good. insurance days off PTO time, etc. One must be ready and available to learn as each new administration takes office. If you do not like your job as the ex chief M Waybright told the Agency "find another".
I enjoy helping others. I am usually able to feel good about what i can do with helping those in low poverty situations. I realize it is more than money but we all need to be able to afford necessities like food clothing and shelter., so when an across the board raise is given we are very thankful. of course then the health insurance premiums take a hike. but then again if it wasn't that it would be something else. (I tend to look at things in a positive manner) . :)
Pros
paid leave
Cons
less than comparable salaries
my experience
Accountant/Auditor II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 4, 2018
my supervisors and coworkers within my division and OAMR were and are exemplary people to work with.

If after completing my Masters in Public Administration would have lead to a possible promotion and experience using WVOasis and training with grants, I would still be there.
Pros
annual leave, sick leave, holidays off
Cons
salary and lack of advancement
west virginia department of health and human resources
Program Manager I (Office of Laboratory Services) (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVJuly 24, 2018
The west Virginia department of health and human resources allowed me to gain the knowledge and experience to further advance in my career. I was able to advance in my position to a program manager due to the overall experience I gained.
Pros
holidays and sick leave
Cons
employee recognition
Work History
CPS Worker (Current Employee) –  WVJuly 24, 2018
There is a major discrepancy in the amount of work for the amount of pay. The people are great to work with and are very supportive but the pay does not equate to the cost of living.
Economic Service Worker | Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25404April 26, 2018
I enjoyed the job but I had to move. I would love to work their again. I enjoy meeting people and having a good work environment . All co-workers were team players. I company supplied all education needed to learn the job.
I learned a lot about computer troubleshooting at this job
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 7, 2018
This was a temporary job through the Manpower Temp Service. Although Temporary, the hours were full time. As I picked up on claims processing, I also helped coworkers with computer issues. Everything from deleting documents off their desktop to changing the desktop wallpaper. This was a fun job and I miss working there.
Pros
Fun, relaxing, an office environment that offered a variety of tasks with no nonsense
Cons
low pay, temporary position
Good people, low pay.
Determination Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 13, 2018
The DHHR culture is so entrenched that it is almost impossible to bring in quality people at a decent wage. There seem to be a lot of people underemployed and a few people over employed.
Pros
State benefits, retirement option
Cons
Low wages, very little ability for advancement regardless of qualifications
Agency cares for the clients it serves.
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WV 25402March 10, 2018
Determining and meeting the needs of clients with the limited resources available is a challenge. I leaned to improvise using the resources available. Workplace is generally relaxed. Hardest part of job is not meeting the clients needs due to lack of resources.
Challenging, yet friendly workplace
Health and Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 2, 2018
Challenging, and friendly workplace. Employees are encouraged to meet goals, and often have the ability to make differences in people's lives. I have been made aware of full-time positions for which I could very well be hired. However, my part-time, temporary status with the DHHR has allowed me the time and focus to nearly finish a Masters' degree.
Stressful
Child Protective Services Worker/Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Mingo County, WVFebruary 15, 2018
A typical work day starts around 8-9, you check emails that are telling you new laws or your not working fast enough to keep up with the 100 cases they have piled on your desk, then you either go to court, out in the field to see clients or in the office. I definitely learned a lot of child law & how the public that you are trying to help thinks you are nothing but an evil unfair underground adoption agency taking their kids because you can... I learned that the harder you worked the more cases you were given, only to be told you were not working fast enough to make the supervisors & state happy. You are pretty much told that you need to work 24/7 at work and at home to maintain your caseload with very little acknowledgement of how hard you are working & the good job you have done. The culture is constantly stressed, you are constantly hovered over to see production in cases, they wanted you to put every case in one box or "model" & treat them all the same. Each family dynamic is different and not all cases can be put in the same box no matter how you try, this gives little room to be fair in cases. The hardest part of the job is the amount of neglect & abuse you will see. You would think that a small county wouldn't have the amount of neglect and abuse it does, but, add an ever growing drug epidemic, poor economic growth, poor education & you have a recipe for neglect & abuse of epic proportions for a small area. You have ex's. neighbors or family that call in false reports that take time away from families who truly can use your assistance. You definitely have job security  more... if you can mentally sustain the things you will witness & observe. There is little room for promotion, in this area once you get a state job, unless someone is retiring, moving or can't handle the job anymore, you won't be moving up the ranks until then. However, I did enjoy my job. I loved working with children, I loved working with the families that wanted to move toward a better life for themselves & children.  less
Pros
Employee lunches/parties, longevity pay
Cons
Constant harping to meet deadlines, over load of cases per worker
Quick paced
Accountant / Auditor 4 (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 14, 2018
One of the largest Departments in the State of West Virginia. Deals with a lot of State and Federal programs. The environment is quick paced. Strict on policies.
Fast pace
Director of Safety, Security, & Loss Management (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 11, 2018
My particular position did not deal with the public unless there was a state of emergency. I enjoy my position and the people I work with. The subject matter can change day to day.
Tough enviroment
Children Services (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVFebruary 6, 2018
Little to no support from the legislature or your immediate supervisor. It is expected that your job is your top priority It was understaffed and case loads are out of compliance with legislative rules. Iwould not recommend working there
Pros
Cons
stress
Fasted paced.
Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVFebruary 6, 2018
As intake worker you are on the phone constantly taking report of abused and neglected children and adults. It can be very upsetting and you have to able to talk to all levels of the community, from doctors to under-educated persons.
DHHR okay
Economic Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Buckhannon, WVDecember 20, 2017
It's okay to work at the DHHR, the main problem I found was the lack of consideration of pay compared to the stress and pace we had to maintain for our customers in conjunction with the number of customers we had in our caseload. I loved interacting with the applicants.
Enjoyed working with clients
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 17, 2017
Enjoyed being able to give help to the clients that deserved help. I have been on both sides of the table and know exactly what it means to need help and get it