West Virginia Northern Community College

West Virginia Northern Community College Employee Reviews

Great School and a Wonderful Environment
Northern is filled with wonderful supportive people, the only issue is that they are funded by the state of West Virginia so there is a minimal amount of funds to go around. However, it is a wonderful place to gain experience in your field and build up your confidence.
Pleasant work environment
I worked as a work study and also a part time employee while I was attending school for 2 years.I worked for grounds/maintenance. My boss was very fair with the work assignments and allowed ample enough time to complete them. Everyone in my department worked together to get the assignments completed. As a whole I had a great experience at the school both as a employee
Teaching and Classroom Experience
I have been an Adjunct Faculty Instructor since August 2019. I am still getting a feel for everything as I am only there one day a week. So far everything seems to be going okay.
Part-time Kitchen Steward
As a graduate of the Culinary Arts program and both a volunteer and part-time employee, I have gained a great deal from my WVNCC experience and wish to further involve myself in the day to day operations of the college.
Great place to work! Friendly co-workers make for an enjoyable workplace culture. The management is easy going and professional. The IT department is extremely helpful!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Deceiveful and mean from the beginning and out of touch
1. 4 weeks into the position, I was informed it was a grant position. I brought this to the management team, but was placated with it was Perkins funding which is a federally funded…grant. I still am required to do documentation regarding contact related to position which is a grant.
2. I was reprimanded for an act that was not intended for the complaining parties; however, the foul language used within my department when the public is in the area is never addressed.

3. The definition of exempt requires for three things to be met by the Department of Labor. Two are, but the third – pay - is not. This means I can be forced to attend after hour functions that are not related to my position. I have been told that if I do not show up or call out, I could be docked pay.

4. The marketing department has “hazing” that occurs occurring to someone in the Business Department and they are sabotaging the college events by not promoting events organized by individuals that they do not like. For example, I was accused by the Marketing department for something not intended toward them. As a result, my event was not promoted properly because of their failure to produce advertisement. I submitted all information March 11th. I was brought to me for my review Tuesday, March 19th without a digital copy to submit to the newsletter. In addition, changes to the color was made the next day which delayed it more. The posters were delivered to one campus the Thursday before the event that was to be on a Monday and the day before at the other campus. So, money was spent to advertise an event one day
 - more...
great summer job
I worked with wonderful people, and got paid well. I got to do homework if I wasn't with a student and still got paid. I would definitely recommend the job to anyone who is wants to work there.
Terrible Leadership and Pathetic Salary
Abhorrent what this place wants to pay people. every job pays under 30K a year. Mandatory retirement contribution of 6% takes the already pathetic salary and now you're making a wage of that of a High School Grad in Retail or General Labor.
VP's and Management are constantly locking horns and nothing gets accomplished. Never saw so many people in my life get paid to do nothing all day. Salaried employees take 3 hour lunches and go run errands and leave early. Long-time employees feel they shouldn't have to do anything all day either because their superiors don't. So it's a revolving chaotic mess of people sitting around pointing fingers at each other as to why things aren't getting done. Students are baited with "free pizza" and "t-shirts" meanwhile no one cares enough to handle their financial aid concerns or scheduling problems.

If you're a student, attend a college elsewhere, even if it means driving further. This place is clueless and hanging by a thread.

If you're considering employment, take your college degree you worked so hard for and go anywhere but here because you'll have to work 2 or 3 more jobs to survive. Unless you like terrible morale and World Class Laziness.

The place is also in trouble with The Higher Learning Commission. This is a constant problem at this institution.
Pros
None.
Cons
Pay/Salary (every job pays $13.00 an hour); low morale, lazy management/Directors, etc.
Accounting Clerk
Accept student payments on accounts, post payments, print monthly invoices. Customer Service skills essential at all times. Advancement was not any option if a person was good at their current position.
N/a
I was hired as an Adjunct Professor. I enjoyed the job. I enjoyed my students and would recommend working at Northern to everyone. Northern has always been a great place for me.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
I enjoy working at WVNCC
I aide students in their studies by helping to establish better study habits and offering the necessary resources for success. I help to identify workable programs and support.
Branching Out
I learned more about the administrative end of a college. It was most useful. It was great to work with the students one-on-one, to sit with them and help guide them in their decisions.
Fun place to work
Couldn't ask for a better place to work and teach. The administrators are top notch and always willing to help. I would gladly work here full time if the opportunity should arise.
It was fine
It was a good company to work for. I really like my job and the people I work with as well. If I could get hired on I wouldn't mind staying there for the long run.
My Review
West Virginia Northern Community College has a great employee environment. The staffing that I work with in my department has a great communication network.
Pros
Great departmental staff
Cons
Organizational planning
A failing institution with great people
For the most part this is a really good place to work. The hours are good, the pay is ok (way under the national average for most positions but good for the area) but the perks make up for some of it. However the institution is failing they push to be cutting edge with technology and training but have no idea how to relate to new high school grads or how to attract non-traditional students. Upper level management is only interested in saving their own backsides. Don't be surprised if you take a job and find that you have been thrown under the bus by someone, so that they can save face or save their position. There are major issues with accreditation, and the budget. Funds in prior years were mismanaged and collections of owed tuition were ignored to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. With the change of CFO and the addition of another person in the business office this has changed some, but the highest levels of management are still clueless in most regards. The IT support group is one shinning light in this mess though. They have a very skilled and very knowledgeable crew that bends over backwards to help you even if you're a pain in their butt.

If you take a low level position you will probably have no issues working here and will find it delightful place to work, however if you take any director, executive, or management positions do not be surprised when you are given the boot after having done nothing wrong because a person higher up in the food chain needs someone to point a finger at. The health insurance is mediocre at best with high out of
 - more...
Great Work Experience
co-workers were great
good management did a good job.

well organized

friendly students

good opportunity

fair wages

very good experience
Pros
pick your schedule
Busy, but good
Lots of opportunities to learn; busy atmosphere. Top leaders are open to suggestions and are, more importantly, interested in suggestions. Low level staff whine about salary and work load, but hopefully those people will eventually be replaced. Students are mostly adults and expect (and deserve) good service.
Pros
Lots of time off; predictable busy times
Cons
Attitude of low level staff
Very good training, busy and fast paced
The program was good and thorough but good. Went to many locations and saw many things that solidified the book work student training.
Friendly staff dedicated in helping students!
I learned a lot about financial aid through this amazing staff. This job works with your college class schedule and personal schedule.
fast paced environment
I have worked as an assistant academic advisor at WVNCC between semesters for the last 2 years. I love the work! I love the people! I would love to do this kind of work on a more consistent basis, but my services are only needed when the influx of students is high. When I am working, I get to help students with career and academic planning, registration, navigating the financial aid process and calming their fears. The hardest part is the occasional difficult student with an abrasive personality and vulgar mouth, but thankfully, they are few and far between. The most enjoyable part is helping a student register for their final semester and prepare for life after college.
Pros
great people
Cons
temporary position
Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Virginia Northern Community College. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2