West Virginia University Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to be
Office Manager, Department of Anesthesiology (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 6, 2018
The new CEO and leadership is ambitious. The institution is expanding rapidly, and experiencing some growing pains trying to keep up with that growth, but it's an exciting place to work. Leadership is looking for ways to keep its people happy and has introduced several new benefits and perks to do so. The biggest drawback is the complaints from people who've been there forever who are resistant to change.
Pros
Caring leadership who want to provide a stable, positive environment
Cons
Limited staffing leads to stress and burnout.
It was great in the right department
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 17, 2018
I had originally started off in one area of the hospital, where I did very well for the first few months until I was left to a clinic to run practically by myself. I eventually was given a transfer to another department that was run very effectively and efficiently. There I found my niche and came to thoroughly enjoy my role. When I found out I had to leave I was devastated.
Very Respectful Coworkers
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVFebruary 7, 2018
A typical day at work was always fun. It was a place that surely kept you on your toes. I enjoyed working there because of all the training they provided you with. The management team really took time to listen to you if you had a problem. I don't think there was a hard part of my job if you took the time to learn. My coworkers when I worked there was very helpful and fun to work around.
Pros
Lots of Training experience
Cons
Some of the Human Resource Staff
a typical day at work
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 20, 2017
very fast paced never sitting down. constantly on the move. answering phones. collecting samples. team management, group meetings. scheduling flexible lots of overtime
Very busy hospital
Resource Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 3, 2017
As a resource nurse you were pulled every four to eight hours as needed for ten different units that were in your pod, very busy oncology, cardiac, step down units, telemetry, orthopedics, trauma, ER, observation unit. Excellent manger to work with, only PRN.
Pros
Awesome to work with treat their nurses very well
Cons
short breaks, sometimes no lunch breaks
Fast paced and high intensity
Registered Nurse (Neonatal Intensive Care) (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 21, 2017
This is a level 3 NICU. It is fast paced with high intensity. The experience is vast as it is a tertiary care center. There isn't a sense of community with the staff. I believe secondary to the large size of the staff, great than 125 RN plus ancillary staff. It was the most rewarding to see very small infants not only survive but thrive and go home.
Pros
vast experiences
Cons
high intensity and fast paced
Great management
Nurse Navigator (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WV 26505August 20, 2017
I have been employed less than one year there, however, my impressions are positive so far. Management is professional yet very personable and approachable. The attitudes are positive with patient outcomes and service a top priority without minimizing the importance of employee satisfaction.
Productive and fun place to work
Neurodiagnostic Technician III, R. EEG T (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 17, 2017
Friendly and productive place to work. Place is good to work and easy job with plenty of stuff to do. It is great and I would recommend it to anybody applying.
very busy
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJuly 10, 2017
Little recourse if difference w/ supervisors happen. retirement employer compensation doesn't start for 2 years. salaries above average for area. turnover of patients very rapid
Stressfull environment to work.
Valet Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WV 26506June 29, 2017
The management was absolutely horrible. Management would make decisions without consulting with the employees that the changes were going to effect. I learned and developed great customer service skills. I enjoyed talking to the patients and helping them with their needs. The hardest part of the job was being able to work in adverse weather conditions.

Want to know more about West Virginia University Hospital?

Ask a question
Dietary
Lead Nutrition Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 24, 2017
Great place to work, great group of people. The pay can be frustration. The union members do try to help as much as they can. Room to grow and advance. It a lot of hard work though.
Pros
paid time off every other weekend off
Cons
managament at times, bu they have made changes
Diet Tech (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 19, 2017
Great place to work with nice people to be around. I worked in the children's hospital and absolutely enjoyed it. I worked 10 hr days in a little room with 2 other people. We all got along really well and improved our communication skills with nurses, registered dietitians and managers.
Great Employer
Registered Nurse Employee Health (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 6, 2017
Enjoy this facility greatly.
Leadership is great, awesome about continuing education.
Currently in FNP program and facility has been flexible with schedule
Pros
friendly, caring
Cons
parking
Clinical Laboratory
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 17, 2017
Spend days reporting patient results, maintaining equipment, troubleshooting instruments, and performing quality control.

Coworkers are helpful and work together to provide the best patient care possible.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Little challenge and opportunities for advancement
wvuh
Helping others
competitive pay.
reinbersment for school
free parking
Cons
sometimes no breaks high stress
great place
Certified Surgical Technologist III (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVNovember 30, 2015
great docs and nurses learning friendly professional great teams
no weekends or holidays decent pay level 1 trauma small town great access and patient care
Pros
experienced
Review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVSeptember 30, 2015
It is a great place to work and learn. The team work is great. Learning opportunities abound as it is a teaching hospital and level 1 trauma center as well as being magnet recognized.
Pros
Co-workers
a great place to work
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 27, 2015
-management really cares about what I had to say.
-very supportive staff
-flexible scheduling
-free charge nurse to assist when I got overwhelmed
Patient and their families is my first priority
Cardiovascular and Interventional Technologist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 11, 2015
Enjoy my job and helping patients. Overall most of my co-workers are fun to be around. Decent amount of politics which can become frustrating at times.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 14, 2015
Good place to work. Atmosphere is good while working and very laid back. You're expected to be able to do your job correctly and on a timely basis.