Westat Employee Reviews

learning experience
Nutrition Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 17, 2018
Everyone was very nice at Westat. I was able to travel and really experience a ton through the company. I have no negatives of working there. I would recommend.
Diverse Campus with hidden glass ceiling
Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 6, 2018
After working for a total of 11.5 years I can say there’s plenty of things good and PLENTY that’s bad! Depending which group and contract you work for that’s what will determine your experience at this company. The pay is under the industry rates however it’s stable with benefits and stocks.
Pros
Health care, 401k, stocks, Stable
Cons
Inequality and limited to no growth
too much like working for the government
Data Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Clinical Trials Area. Most of contracts are with government so that mentality and bureaucracy has been ingrained deeply. Very difficult to change and adapt to anything new.
Extraordinary people
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 3, 2018
The only negative side of working for Westat it was that it is a seasonal job. It can be stressful but as a Coordinator, you can control your work schedule.
Clinical Research
Assessment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  RaleighJuly 1, 2018
A typical day would include managing 65-80 sites in Hematology. Ensuring the TMF is audit ready. Work with CRAs and CTMs to assist sites with Protocol Amendment updates.
Pros
Management, flexible work weeks
Cons
contrack
I loved working there
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 30, 2018
working at Westat was the best thing ever happened to me. Friendly leadership, caring individuals! Compensation - was great. Culture is great everyone feels welcome
taxing at times
National Testing Assessment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reinbeck, IAJune 22, 2018
Westat employment is seasonal based on what program requires support. It provides acceptable training and pays reasonably. It can be a demanding job at times but is well organized and managed.
Pros
Limited time assignment
Cons
Very rigid in its policies
OK Place to work
Senior Study Director (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 22, 2018
OK Place to work. The supervisors were variable - some were nice and some were mean (one had serious mental issues). They were flexible about letting folks work from home.
Great to work from Home
BILINGUAL FIELD INTERVIEWER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2018
Westat is a great company to work and have very flexible hours. There is always something new to learn to keep staff up to date with new procedures. Great people to work with, I meet new interviewers. I enjoyed they send us for training to another State and to brush up our skills with others coworkers in the same field.
Pros
Great pay and Flexible schedule
Cons
Not enough hours sometimes after bulk Interviews finish
Lots of travel
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 15, 2018
Lots of driving and travel to meet and find respondents. You have to watch your number and keep up with quotas. Supervisors are fine and helpful.
Training was good in LA.Pay was fair.
Unorganized and management doesn't communicate well with staff.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 9, 2018
The only way you advance is through who you know. The job/work balance depends on who you have as a supervisor. There isn't cohesiveness between departments.
Fun and flexible environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 7, 2018
Great place to grow and learn about various aspects of research. The company conducts research on many topics and allows one to gain experience on different topics and procedures of a research study.
Good employee benefits
FIELD INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 4, 2018
Employee training is top notch. I like the flexibility of working my own hours as long as I work within the guidelines. I also like that work is always available.
Pros
Ability to travel whether training or working cases anywhere in the US.
okay company
Recruitment Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 1, 2018
Westat doesn't provide employees with job growth or training. Employees start and end in the same position. There is not much to say other than that.
Independent Work
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 27, 2018
Loved working for the company. Was able to work while I attended college. The pay was okay. You pick your own hours which are the same as the hours needed and reach out to individuals over the phone, and at their home. Very much felt like cold calling. The pay was slightly less than similar companies.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Pay
Dawn Project
Government Field Clerk (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAMay 6, 2018
The work was very important to me, and the training I received was outstanding. The Government was very serious about this project they were very detailed. Instructions were always given out in a manner of understanding what information they wanted you to extract from the chart.
I loved working for them, very positive always look forward going to work because every case was different and very exciting.
Pros
Training
Cons
Zero
Interesting research but gets mundane
Junior Study Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 1, 2018
Typical day at work is that I sit at my desk for 8 hours. My study use to have clinic that we would go to and meet our patients, which I enjoyed! Unfortunately because of budgeting issues, we no longer have clinics but only field cohorts in our study. I enjoy the study that I am on because I think it is interesting what they (the doctors of the study) find. The only thing is the actual work I do gets boring after awhile, so I lose interest. I enjoy my management and like working with the people that I do. That's what keeps me here! Other issue is there is not much room for advancement from my position as a research assistant. Unfortunately the next position is to become a research nurse, which you have to be a nurse to be able to move up! So that isn't something I have interest in. Most enjoyable part is having the feeling that I am helping the advancement of the study, by helping our patients with rare diseases enrolled in our study.
Pros
Bonus holiday vacation to use, nice coworkers, affordable cafeteria, small campus, plenty of parking
Cons
Short breaks, cannot remote work, no room for advancement, nothing free, terrible coffee
Successful Research Company with great benefits
Word Processing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 1, 2018
Westat is an excellent company to work for and if I wasn't at the peak of my growth, I would stay longer. It has been a wonderful experience and I've learned a lot, but I owe it to myself to seek advanced in my career.
Pros
Amazing Benefits
Cons
No more room for growth
very meaningul work. good atmosphere.
data collector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 28, 2018
I worked with really nice and professional people. Most of them in this field of interviewer had a lot of experience as teachers or in the communication business, others were from a variety of backgrounds.
Pros
pay was good.
Cons
was not permanent full time work but project based temporary work.
Excellent pay for travelers
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 25, 2018
Working at Westat has been a pleasure. Management is usually fair, and they offer great opportunities to travel and make extra money (per diems, mileage, etc). If you are flexible, you may be eligible for many types of contracts and/or opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westat. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight