Westat Employee Reviews

Enjoyed work assigment
Assessor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 9, 2019
I was an assessor for the company. I administrated test for the students. This was seasonal testing. The testing was for the U.S. Government contracted through Westat.
Pros
People on the team were geat to work with
Cons
Salary could have been more for all the work required
excellent training provided for every project.
TELEPHONE DATA COLLECTOR, WESTAT (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 3, 2019
Love working for Westat. They have the best mentors to assist their workers. The company provides all the resources necessary for their data collectors to perform their duties. They have a great support team always available to assist the data collectors if needed.
Pros
Flexible schedules available
Cons
Bad management no advance low pay
Field interviewer (Former Employee) –  NationwideJanuary 1, 2019
Favoritism is the culture here. If you are friends or know people in main office your job is secure even if you sleep in the job.
If you speak up you lose your job even if you are a good employee. Control and manipulation is their techniques.
Poor management they make you feel as a child that can not speak or express concerns. Do as I say or we let you go. Do not know why people like to work like that unless they do not have brains or intelligence to perform other jobs. Workers mostly used to easy job doing nothing. Salaries using tax payers money.
Pros
Free food at hotels
Cons
No advances, no growth, not saving enough social security income.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 26, 2018
I'm very proficient in processing purchasing invoices, including tracking and recording incoming and outgoing stocks I also followup with vendors ensuring timely delivery. Records all entries in a software application for the supervisor. Monitoring stock levels and identifies purchasing needs. After staff advise that the supplies and materials are in , I print out invoices and give to appropriate personnel to make sure the vendors are paid in a timely manner.
Worked off site at home, enjoyable
Field Supervisor overseeing 25 field interviewers (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 22, 2018
Working as a field Supervisor on varies projects taught me to work as a team to obtain goals with others
Taking away each day something that we would utilize for years to come
The most enjoyable part of the job were the daily conference calls with our team
sharing field stories and brainstorming together to make our job the best it could be .teamwork!
Pros
Working with different individuals, sharing team strategies to meet our goals and numbers each week.
Cons
The extreme long hours each day- 7 days a week-
Nice Job
Data Collector/At Home Interviewer Work From Home (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 14, 2018
I enjoyed my time as an at home Data Collector with Westat. I learned a lot about Data Collecting and also about converting refusals into successful data Collecting. I enjoyed the opportunity to change peoples mind and in letting them know that their opinion does matter.
Low Pay, Dysfunctional management
Senior Study Director (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2018
If you want job stability but do not care about anything else, this may be a good place for you. Lots of gossip, lots of dysfunction. No growth. Upper management never retires.
Part time position working remotely
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Work from homeNovember 27, 2018
Work an average of 30 hours per week; you set your own appointments and travel to the respondents homes for interviews. Travel time can be as much as 2-3 hours away. The toughest part of the job was keeping some of the respondents in the program for the 2-1/2 year project involving 5 interviews spaced 6 months apart.
Pros
Flexible hours and great compensation.
Nice place to work
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 15, 2018
Westat is pretty big and has a alot of opportunity to work, even the salary is pretty low but they offer such a good benefit and pretty flexible in terms of family or other emergencies.
fun and exciting place
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 13, 2018
my typical day consisted of working on computers and doing surveys for UCLA and Medical . it was exciting to do the surveys and how people felt about way things are handled
Pros
extra pay on weekends
Cons
great hours
Outstanding company
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 11, 2018
Job assignment is excellent for retired/semi-retired individuals.
Work assignment allowed interviewer to schedule own hours and the freedom to maintain own work load.
Data collection
Field Interviewer/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 7, 2018
Good opportunity for someone seeking sometime intermittent work.Work allows building and honing of interpersonal skills. Some travel involved, compensation is above fair.
Needed a job. They offered one and were kind
Phone Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 3, 2018
I don’t have a lot to say. I came in there needing a job they asked questions about my qualifications, and said they were willing to give me a try. I was new to the area so they knew I had to negotiate transit to get myself there, and they were willing to be patient as I learned my way around. As I said they were very kind
Pros
Very employee friendly
Cons
Confusing campus
Very profitable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 31, 2018
Great compnay who really looks out for their people and try to provide the greatest work enviromnent. I honestly with it was a permanent position because I could see myself working for them for a long time.
Great Company
Field Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850October 31, 2018
Great Company. Consistent work and great Management and Human resource department, very helpful. The company spends a lot of time to train each employee to execute the job properly.
good company with flexible hours
field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 29, 2018
good company to work for if you like having a flexible work schedule that is mostly self directed. Paid reimbursement at the government rate for work miles driven. A chance to meet different people in a wide variety of situations.
Headed for a hard fall
Senior Study Director (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 27, 2018
Westat has been rigidly resisting adaptation to competitive markets for federal and state/local funding as well as failing to innovate internally (innovations come through acquiring outside firms with innovators, whose new ideas then get squelched), and failing to understand competitive labor markets and/or build internal strength through good management practices. As a result, their middle tier of technical staff is constantly leaving, because younger people come then leave (no mentoring, no career ladder) while higher-ups prefer to hire people who are already names in their fields. Proposals thus become increasingly expensive at a very bad time for organizations to be insisting that clients should pay for excessive quality beyond what's needed to serve client needs.

The leadership is ancient (the CEO and Board members fall asleep in meetings) and there are way too many VPs and Directors (nearly meaningless titles). Decisions are top-down and again very rigid -- any pushback is really personally resented. They have been losing business first steadily and now steeply, and too late have brought in the wrong new people at the top instead of listening to the really terrific people they have at other levels. They hired a new top guy for business development who knows nothing about business development but is happily hiring his own cronies (again at top levels and tip-top salaries, with no project work) while beginning to lay off mid-level staff who have project work and steady billable hours. They've also cut back on bonuses.

In short, they are doubling down on an outdated
  more... and maladapted business model which totally lacks transparency. It's likely that the top people will get out with lots of money because of the ESOP (employee-owned stock in the company) structure while the people actually doing the work but of a newer vintage will be hung out to dry. People who keep their heads down working on their projects with clients they have cultivated will end up screwed. Many of the best people I've worked with here have already left, and I'll be next!  less
Pros
Subsidized cafeteria that is quite good at the main (Research Dr) office
Cons
Rapidly deteriorating culture and morale, terrible management
Great Supervisors for the most part and meaningful work.
Certified Bilingual Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Multiple...September 26, 2018
WESTAT offers great flexibility and is a good place for more mature people to work. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with cranky people and convince them of the importance of their participation. The most enjoyable part is knowing that you are working to make a difference in America's health.
Pros
Flexible hours, casual business attire, opportunity to travel.
Cons
No health benefits, high-pressure supervisors, long hours when out as a traveller
Great Training Workshops
Assessment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 12, 2018
I traveled to schools to test in math and science. Normally we would be at the schools by 7:00 AM to get the tablets set up and be ready to start our testing by 8:00.Working with the administration of different schools was enjoyable. We met lots of neat teachers. It was neat to see the students so engaged on the tablets. After testing, I would take each of the individual flash drives from their tablets and submit their data. As long as we had no technical issues with our tablets the testing went great. I had an excellent supervisor who was always available if I had any issues. This made my job much easier for me.
Pros
Seeing the many creative ideas in the different schools
Cons
Early morning travel, sometimes would leave home at 5:00 AM.
Great atmosphere
Computer Help-Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 12, 2018
Coworkers are very helpful. Now micro-managing. Management is easy to get along with. The job isn't hard but there is a lot of work to be done. You're always going to be busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westat. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight