Westat Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 15, 2018
Westat is pretty big and has a alot of opportunity to work, even the salary is pretty low but they offer such a good benefit and pretty flexible in terms of family or other emergencies.
fun and exciting place
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 13, 2018
my typical day consisted of working on computers and doing surveys for UCLA and Medical . it was exciting to do the surveys and how people felt about way things are handled
Pros
extra pay on weekends
Cons
great hours
Outstanding company
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 11, 2018
Job assignment is excellent for retired/semi-retired individuals.
Work assignment allowed interviewer to schedule own hours and the freedom to maintain own work load.
Data collection
Field Interviewer/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 7, 2018
Good opportunity for someone seeking sometime intermittent work.Work allows building and honing of interpersonal skills. Some travel involved, compensation is above fair.
Needed a job. They offered one and were kind
Phone Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 3, 2018
I don’t have a lot to say. I came in there needing a job they asked questions about my qualifications, and said they were willing to give me a try. I was new to the area so they knew I had to negotiate transit to get myself there, and they were willing to be patient as I learned my way around. As I said they were very kind
Pros
Very employee friendly
Cons
Confusing campus
Very profitable place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 31, 2018
Great compnay who really looks out for their people and try to provide the greatest work enviromnent. I honestly with it was a permanent position because I could see myself working for them for a long time.
Great Company
Field Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850October 31, 2018
Great Company. Consistent work and great Management and Human resource department, very helpful. The company spends a lot of time to train each employee to execute the job properly.
good company with flexible hours
field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 29, 2018
good company to work for if you like having a flexible work schedule that is mostly self directed. Paid reimbursement at the government rate for work miles driven. A chance to meet different people in a wide variety of situations.
Headed for a hard fall
Senior Study Director (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 27, 2018
Westat has been rigidly resisting adaptation to competitive markets for federal and state/local funding as well as failing to innovate internally (innovations come through acquiring outside firms with innovators, whose new ideas then get squelched), and failing to understand competitive labor markets and/or build internal strength through good management practices. As a result, their middle tier of technical staff is constantly leaving, because younger people come then leave (no mentoring, no career ladder) while higher-ups prefer to hire people who are already names in their fields. Proposals thus become increasingly expensive at a very bad time for organizations to be insisting that clients should pay for excessive quality beyond what's needed to serve client needs.

The leadership is ancient (the CEO and Board members fall asleep in meetings) and there are way too many VPs and Directors (nearly meaningless titles). Decisions are top-down and again very rigid -- any pushback is really personally resented. They have been losing business first steadily and now steeply, and too late have brought in the wrong new people at the top instead of listening to the really terrific people they have at other levels. They hired a new top guy for business development who knows nothing about business development but is happily hiring his own cronies (again at top levels and tip-top salaries, with no project work) while beginning to lay off mid-level staff who have project work and steady billable hours. They've also cut back on bonuses.

In short, they are doubling down on an outdated
  more... and maladapted business model which totally lacks transparency. It's likely that the top people will get out with lots of money because of the ESOP (employee-owned stock in the company) structure while the people actually doing the work but of a newer vintage will be hung out to dry. People who keep their heads down working on their projects with clients they have cultivated will end up screwed. Many of the best people I've worked with here have already left, and I'll be next!  less
Pros
Subsidized cafeteria that is quite good at the main (Research Dr) office
Cons
Rapidly deteriorating culture and morale, terrible management
Great Supervisors for the most part and meaningful work.
Certified Bilingual Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Multiple...September 26, 2018
WESTAT offers great flexibility and is a good place for more mature people to work. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with cranky people and convince them of the importance of their participation. The most enjoyable part is knowing that you are working to make a difference in America's health.
Pros
Flexible hours, casual business attire, opportunity to travel.
Cons
No health benefits, high-pressure supervisors, long hours when out as a traveller
Great Training Workshops
Assessment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 12, 2018
I traveled to schools to test in math and science. Normally we would be at the schools by 7:00 AM to get the tablets set up and be ready to start our testing by 8:00.Working with the administration of different schools was enjoyable. We met lots of neat teachers. It was neat to see the students so engaged on the tablets. After testing, I would take each of the individual flash drives from their tablets and submit their data. As long as we had no technical issues with our tablets the testing went great. I had an excellent supervisor who was always available if I had any issues. This made my job much easier for me.
Pros
Seeing the many creative ideas in the different schools
Cons
Early morning travel, sometimes would leave home at 5:00 AM.
Great atmosphere
Computer Help-Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 12, 2018
Coworkers are very helpful. Now micro-managing. Management is easy to get along with. The job isn't hard but there is a lot of work to be done. You're always going to be busy.
Excellect support
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  IdahoSeptember 9, 2018
Training and procedures provided by company, flexible work days and hours, Mileage reimbursed by company. Selection on eligible interviewees and scheduling of in-home interviews at employees discretion.
fun place to work
Field Data Collector (Former Employee) –  work from home and in the communityAugust 30, 2018
Westat really take great care of all staff and provide plenty of training
working with Westat you work from home and in the community with our seniors
upon my visit with the seniors, I did blood collection and government surveys
Pros
work from home
Seasonal Work Only
Professional Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2018
Great and well-organized company. Work for a Field Interviewer is only available for a few months at a time but if you provide excellent results you will most likely be called back for the next season.
Great Company
Clerk/Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  TelecommuteAugust 28, 2018
Westat is an employed owned company and has many benefits. They have several interesting projects to work in. Work is flexible and can fit with various schedules.
Interesting people on project
Tester, June 23, 2014 - Present (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850August 21, 2018
Excellent employee owned company. Good training, positive experience. No problems with self motivation because you believe in the study and the benefits of the study.
Pros
Nice gym
Cons
Slow work at time
Flexible part/time job
DATA COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 12, 2018
Great company to work for but their is a lack of opportunity for advancement within the organization. It allows the opportunity to work from home however, management then becomes too virtual.
Pros
convienent hours/scheuling
Cons
inter personal
Competitive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 7, 2018
Westat is a great place to work. Westat runs solely on the work they win off of proposals. The business is becoming more competitive with other outside companies like Westat. Stock options are great.
Pros
Stock Options, Match 401K
Cons
low salary, no room for advancement
Westat Experience
Data Collector Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 30, 2018
After working for 11 years at Westat, I enjoyed working there.
I gained experience with my interviewing skills. Managment was very professional. The workplace culture was very enthusiastic. The hardest part of the job was to meet deadlines with clients on short notice but we always completed our tasks. The most enjoyable part was the personal satisfaction of getting the work done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westat. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight