Westcare
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Westcare Employee Reviews for Counselor

Counselor45 reviews

westsubstanceclientaddictionabusecounselordrugprogram

Open to new ideas and different counseling styles

I came in new to the field and had my new creative ideas embraced. I’ve always felt heard. Training is provided but I have learned better by learning from mistakes and errors. I have advanced quickly and feel supported. It’s a big g campus and deal with different personalities.

Pros

Opportunity and support

Cons

No day is predicable

Lack of structure

Too much political manipulation. Bullying tactics. Small chance of advancement even when you show up every day and work as if you were on call 24/7. Cooperate with management and oversees everything from Fresno, Ca.

Westcare insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Room for opportunity and growth

Friendly staff and everyone works in unisense. Staff generally care for their patients and want them to get better, do well and recover. Great opportunity for growth and advancement.

Great place to hone your skills working with a diverse population

WestCare is a great place to work like anywhere the positive comes with the negative. Support for professional growth is there for the self directed person. Nothing worth having comes without effort.

Pros

Four day work week. HSA account.

Cons

Office gossip

More work than you have time to accomplish.

Westcare: Not worth it. Walk away. You won't be given enough time to finish your tasks. The harder you work, the more work will be thrown your way. Endless thankless cycle. Seek employment elsewhere.

Working for West Care they were very big on promoting internally and helping you advance your career. The management and HR staff were amazing to work for they were so helpful.

Pros

Great Staff

Cons

Benefits could be better

There for the clients

As with any job, there are highs and lows; but I loved this place! Staff and clients are what made this a pleasant experience for me. I genuinely liked my co-workers and loved the people I served.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Late nights

Please do not work here.

Training is terrible. You are trained by other staff that have no idea what they are doing. Hostile working environment with the staff. Low pay. Only advancement goes to the people that are already higher up and have been with the company for 5+ years. Hr is terrible. You have to go through the program director for any issues. He doesn’t do anything with requests that you ask of them. Terrible scheduling. Scheduling is done a day before the week starts. Rules change daily. Staff is always looking for the wrongs that you do and never the good. DONT WORK HERE. Extremely unorganized place of work. If you like a chaotic workplace then this is the job for you.

Cons

Proactive in supporting community.

Westcare is a great place to work. The company slogan “uplifting the human spirit” is witnessed in every aspect of the workplace environment. The administration, staff, and counselors genuinely care about the well-being of staff and clientele. Westcare extends its purpose into the community through providing camps, housing, and other programs to help promote and support the needs of all people. It is a great place to be inspired.

Pros

Many paid holidays off

Cons

Salary

Productive, fun, caring environment

Amazing support from managers and coworkers . Strong leadership. They believe in communication and allowing for ideas to be implemented and heard. I feel blessed to work for them.

Bad Experience

Disorganized and unsupportive work environment. The collaboration with CDCR is hostile and based on power, control and fear. If you want to work somewhere trauma informed, look elsewhere.

Care about employees well being

Employees well being are really looked out for from health, mental health and overall work experience. Upper management staff are approachable and non judging.

Pros

Very employee health concerned

rewarding

the management and staff are great. We are always encouraged and supported by upper management. The job is rewarding but make sure this is the field for you. It's not for everyone.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

hardly ever take a real lunch

No ethics. They lie to get grants and never do what is promised.

Some employees are ethical but some managers are not. If you are ethics driven you will be shoved out. Managers often complain about orders from the national level that they don't feel are right but must do or suffer the consequences. If you are connected to a national manager you are good, if not I pity you. The one manager with strong ethics is gone from what I hear.

Pros

Great entry level for recent grads or people new to substance abuse.

Cons

Pay, ethics, and fairness.

Productive and friendly working environment.

It is a pretty friendly place to work. The employees care about the lives they are helping to change. The employees are mindful of the Family Philosophy and the company Mission Statement.

Rewarding career. Toxic work environment

My years working at WestCare were pleasant when working with most of the clients and seeing them make progress in the lives as well as some very hardworking co-workers who were great to be around. Management on the other hand was helpful at times but almost non existent. There is a lot of favoritism and little to no staff recognition for your hard work. Most of the upper staff is clueless on how things are supposed to be done in the program nor do they care about the issues the clients and workers are experiencing.

Great opportunity

Working at West Care allowed me to benefit in learning about behaviors and the modality of the program. The program enhanced my skills as an employer which is good.

Supporting Environment that can help give you purpose

Amazing director and supervisor. I always felt supported by the entire team. There was a strong emphasis on team morale and group cohesiveness. We got trainings very often to help build the team up and to educate counselors. Apart from being very supported, the work itself was very fulfilling.

Friendly

West Care is a good company to work for. Staff is very friendly they are willing to help you out with anything that you need. There is room to advance in other places in the company.

Great Staff

I've had the pleasure of working with some of the line staff, but the managing staff doesn't seem to have enough experience being managing staff in this environment.

Excellent team environment

I’ve worked at many programs and this is by far the best company. I love working around people who truly care about clients and being on a team of professionals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westcare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
1.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight