Westchester Medical Center Employee Reviews

stressful
Senior Credit and Collections Analyst (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 27, 2019
All day making calls, very stressful most of the time, but I did learn a lot working at the hospital. Met some nice people that helped me understand the work.
very productive and fun place to work always happy
HIM Representative (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 27, 2019
Every day you meet the same people you work with and each one of them is nice and smiling and what makes me happy is any time I help someone I fill happy
Pros
some times you get free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Not much to say
Register Medical Assistant (Cardiology (Current Employee) –  Cardiology west divisionJanuary 21, 2019
Our company is part of Westchester Medical Center. Right now we are in the middle of a huge transaction and many of my coworkers are having a hard time adjusting to these changes.
Pros
High patient care services
Cons
No parking, short lunch breaks
Quick paced
Courier (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 11, 2019
I loved working at the center, made me want to learn more on phlebotomy and ways to preserve blood and label the blood vials. I got to meet people who encouraged me to go back to school and learn!
Experience is incredible
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 11, 2019
The opportunity to care for the most acute children in the area gives unmatched experience. I have been a part of some of the most difficult cases there are.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
holiday schedules
good place to advance
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 10, 2019
If you put in the hours and effort it's a good place to grow your career.

Competitive work environment.

Opportunities for learning and growth.

12 hour shifts are the norm and not the exception.
Pros
good opportunities
Cons
Working environment encouraged employees to give their best effort
Senior Psychiatric Aide (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 9, 2019
Provided patient care include vital signs, blood sugar monitoring, bed making, interacting and supervise patients. At Westchester Medical Center the essentials of bedside care is learned. There were daily interaction with doctors, nurses and other senior medical personnel. CPR was taught to all senior psychiatric aides, and procedures for restraining mentally challenged patient without harming them. Patient confidentiality was always emphasized by the hospital, so staff members have to protect patient privacy and the hospital from lawsuit. There was always shift meeting at the beginning of each shift and update given on each patient, and this provided for a smooth transition for each shift. Management was of a high quality and department head positions always have a bachelor degree or higher. This was a teaching hospital and the medical training was a high standard. There were always in-service training, and annual refresher training. For job opening the staff was the first option. Restraining a mentally ill patient was the hardest part of the job, since staff members could get hurt. Overtime was available and Christmas bonus was paid after your first year employment.
Pros
There was a cafiteria on premises. Birthday parties were encourged on each unit
Cons
Debatable
Westchetser Medical Center is not the best place to work
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Westchester Medical Center has a poor management team and is always setting goals that is unrealistic.You are given projects that requires you to spent long working hours.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Long Worked Hours
Westchester Med Center is a wonderful place to work at and they will give many people a chance to find what they would wanna do with their life.
ENVIROMENTAL SERVICE ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 5, 2019
A day at Westchester Medical Center is very productive and you learn something everyday to make it a great place to work at.
And management is welcoming and understanding. If there is any uncomfortable days you always have someone to talk to so you can get through your day if you are not in a great mood. The work place culture is peaceful which makes your day a easy and smooth journey. There is nothing that is hard about working there. What I enjoy about my job is people are friendly and easy to speak with.
Pros
Free lunches and Better benefits.
Cons
Better healthcare.
Racist environment
Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Has maintained a culture of racist and prejudicial preferences. Work experience there was unpleasant and people who are prejudicial in their behaviour to staff based on colour are allowed to excel and to destroy the future of young African American workers. For African Americans I would never recommend this employer.
Fast paced and opportunity to learn
Unit Secretary - Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYDecember 28, 2018
I worked in the Emergency Department at Westchester Medical Center ; here everyday was a completely different day. A typical day would involve me admitting 50-100 patients sometimes more especially during the summer months. Since this was a level one trauma hospital we would get severe ceases in the ER ranging from gunshot wounds to motor vehicle accidents. I must say the team of nurses and doctors I worked with were pretty great because we work as a team. The hardest part of the job was when multiple traumas would come in at the same time seeing that we had limited trauma rooms to work with. I really like this job because no two days where the same and I learned a lot being able to work so closely with the doctors and nurses. The main down side of it was that the pay did not compensate for the amount of work that was required. Also there was never clear communication with the nursing office and the staff when it came to scheduling.
Busy, fast paced
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYDecember 24, 2018
A day at Westchester consisted of 14 patients per unit that we received initial assessments on, reported to the clinic team throughout the duration of the day. Cleaned patients, turned and positioned, suctioning patients with trachs, I&O outputs, vitals and BP every 4 hours. Documenting any necessary and mandatory information, reporting back to the clinic team if any abnormalities are occurring. Daily precautions for MRSA and other possible infections.
Great company
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westchester County, NYDecember 11, 2018
It’s a pleasure to work with someone who knows how to make a friendly and inspiring work environment. I’m glad that a position opened up for you that is a great next step in your career.

You will never find out your real worth until you give life your best shot. Work hard and give it all you’ve got. You will find more success than you had ever thought. Congratulations.
Pros
Benefit
Cons
Great experience, lousy in every other way
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 15, 2018
Headline says it all. Westchester Medical Center has high patient acuity, and the experience one gets while working there is second to none. That said, everything else about the hospital as an employer is terrible. The culture is terrible, morale is poor, the pay scale stinks, the scheduling is atrocious, and management is either present in an overbearing way, or non-existent, leaving one to fend for oneself. New grads: work there for a year and get out. Experienced PAs/NPs: run far away.
Workplace culture
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 14, 2018
Large hospital with many employees. Mostly 12 hour shift positions, not a lot of flexibility. Not very organized, wait time is long for supplies. Excessive workloads.
great place to work
Resident Chaplain (CPE 3 Units) (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 12, 2018
it was a great place to work. I learned a lot and I am grateful to have been a part of the interdisciplinary team.
it is a trauma 1 hospital so it can be intense at times but great staff and caring staff makes the job much easier
Busy place of business that allows you to learn so many new techniques to work efficiently because you become a master at multitasking.
Credit & Collections Analyst / Biller (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 8, 2018
This job was a great place to work being you were around so much diversity. This position gave me the chance to do what i love most, helping others. It was a pleasure being able to provide satisfaction in the midst of complex situations. The down side to this job was that this was a long term contracted position. I believe with the opportunity to thrive and grow within the company, i would still be an employee there because of the love and passion I've developed for this company.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
No stable work schedule
Typical Hospital environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 28, 2018
Very busy but not very organized. lots of bureaucracy. struggling to keep up with changing regulations and requirements. great for trauma injuries. growing too fast.
Productive place to work
ADMITTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 24, 2018
Registered patients for ambulatory surgery, operating room, ophthalmology, radiology, dental and emergency room departments.
Obtained authorizations, verified insurance and contacted insurance companies as needed.
Reduced inaccurate information when updating, entering and verifying patient insurance.
Fielded incoming phone calls promptly and efficiently while using proper phone etiquette. Expedited processing while adhering to quality, accuracy and customer service standards.
Increased cash flow by processing cash, credit and check payments from patients. Compiled reports daily to obtain a complete business overview.
Promoted the well-being of patients by directly admitting patients with emergencies. Boosted patient satisfaction by responding to the concerns of patients, families, physicians and staff promptly and professionally.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 23, 2018
Working in the Endoscopy Unit for so long was good. You became familiar with the nurses and the doctors. It became my second family. It was pleasure and we all helped each other and looked out for each other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westchester Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight