Westchester Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great company
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westchester County, NYDecember 11, 2018
It’s a pleasure to work with someone who knows how to make a friendly and inspiring work environment. I’m glad that a position opened up for you that is a great next step in your career.

You will never find out your real worth until you give life your best shot. Work hard and give it all you’ve got. You will find more success than you had ever thought. Congratulations.
Pros
Benefit
Cons
Great experience, lousy in every other way
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 15, 2018
Headline says it all. Westchester Medical Center has high patient acuity, and the experience one gets while working there is second to none. That said, everything else about the hospital as an employer is terrible. The culture is terrible, morale is poor, the pay scale stinks, the scheduling is atrocious, and management is either present in an overbearing way, or non-existent, leaving one to fend for oneself. New grads: work there for a year and get out. Experienced PAs/NPs: run far away.
great place to work
Resident Chaplain (CPE 3 Units) (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 12, 2018
it was a great place to work. I learned a lot and I am grateful to have been a part of the interdisciplinary team.
it is a trauma 1 hospital so it can be intense at times but great staff and caring staff makes the job much easier
Typical Hospital environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 28, 2018
Very busy but not very organized. lots of bureaucracy. struggling to keep up with changing regulations and requirements. great for trauma injuries. growing too fast.
Productive place to work
ADMITTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 24, 2018
Registered patients for ambulatory surgery, operating room, ophthalmology, radiology, dental and emergency room departments.
Obtained authorizations, verified insurance and contacted insurance companies as needed.
Reduced inaccurate information when updating, entering and verifying patient insurance.
Fielded incoming phone calls promptly and efficiently while using proper phone etiquette. Expedited processing while adhering to quality, accuracy and customer service standards.
Increased cash flow by processing cash, credit and check payments from patients. Compiled reports daily to obtain a complete business overview.
Promoted the well-being of patients by directly admitting patients with emergencies. Boosted patient satisfaction by responding to the concerns of patients, families, physicians and staff promptly and professionally.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 23, 2018
Working in the Endoscopy Unit for so long was good. You became familiar with the nurses and the doctors. It became my second family. It was pleasure and we all helped each other and looked out for each other.
Fast paced work place friendly people
Patient Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 22, 2018
Everyday work at Westchester Medical was very busy , there is constant flow of patients . My job was to get patients registered quickly and effectively also getting consents from patients. I very much enjoyed the environment and how i am able to interact . I would say that was my favorite part , my least favorite would be saying patients sick or hurt.
Pros
time in a half
typical day as a charge nurse
Charge Nurse responsibility (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 20, 2018
Initially receive report from Charge Nurse from previous shift . Make assignments . Take report on patients that are assigned to me. while taking care of patients make sure that scheduling is done do QI for the unit , audits , and make sure staff does not need help .

Management is a very important part of nursing and that if done well can be very effective, respecting your staff as well as being respected is probably the most important part of being a manager

I have learned that multitasking is very important and you wear many hats as a charge nurse .Working in the ED you have to multitask and to be an effective nurse and provide the best care for your patients you have to be able to use critical thinking skills fast and sometimes without even realizing you doing it .

The hardest part of the job is not being able to provide the best care for your patients because you are so overwhelmed and overworked that you don't spend as much time with your patients as you would like to .Is having to not show your emotions and sometimes having patients think that you are cold and unfeeling because we are not able or can't show what we are feeling .
Despite all the busyness and sometimes the ugliness I see during my shift I love the patients , I love making them feel better , or having them open up about their illness ,its not just patients family members come in with their loved ones stressed and scared and just one kind word or just listening to them helps them . That is the best part of my job
Pros
rewarding and educational as well
Cons
no breaks at times, we get yelled at
Opportunity for Advancement.
Patient-Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 9, 2018
OWS;
Provides flexible work-time.
Provides Resources to staff needs.
Provides Opportunity for advancement.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciation of co-workers, the staff and most importantly the patients, a word of Thank You.
Pros
Staff Support and Communication.
Great place to work for
Credit & Collections Analyst (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYOctober 2, 2018
Such a great experience Very professional
Team work Well managed
The atmosphere was outstanding
Human Resources very helpful
The new parking helped a lot
Pros
Free lunch
Great place to work at, full of friendly and helpful staff.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 25, 2018
Great benefits and the hospital's accessible location are a plus here. In my experience, the hiring process is fast. Staff from all departments are very warm and inviting to new-comers.
Westchester medical center is one of the best place I have ever work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  ValhallaSeptember 18, 2018
I started working at Westchester medical center in the summer of 2012. I worked in the neurosurgical unit as a nursing assistant. the workers at the unit work collaboratively to ensure the wellbeing of our patient.
Productive and challenging workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 7, 2018
Working at Westchester medical center helps you understand the importance of customer service. Working in a hospital can be very challenging due to many circumstances and situations can occur at any given moment. Working here help me communicate with multiple diverse backgrounds. It helped me advance my skills with working with other guards to help defuse dangerous . I learned how to do CPR and crisis prevention skills. I learned how to make good decisions under critical and stressful situations. On a daily basis I was working with doctors nurses and fellow security guards to provide the proper safety and care the patients/ clients needs. The hardest part of the job was trying to defuse multiple emergency calls with the lack of man power at one time. The best part of this job and position is the learning environment I was working in. I was able to meet new people and communicate with many people from different backgrounds and walks of life.
Pros
Great pay rate, Great medical vision and dental insurance
Cons
Lack of communication in stressful situations
WCMC is a loving and caring place to work
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYSeptember 5, 2018
I work in the TICU and I have seen all levels of trauma. What is most rewarding is when a patient that was given little or no chance to survive walks in the unit months and even years later and say "Thanks for being a part of my recovery" or family members sending kind words about the loving, caring environment that they experienced from TICU and sometime the out come ended in death of the patients but the families still find it worth while to say "Thanks"
I like the place but feel like no Advancement
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYAugust 14, 2018
I been here for a little while now and it feels like I’m going no place with this job. Managent is very nice and will try to help out. But overall a good place
Laboratory Technician II (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYAugust 10, 2018
Good place to work. The hospital is the best in Westchester county. They have UNION ,and the benefit is very good. Pension is good, it is really a desirable place to work.
Pros
location is good
Cons
parking is not good
Dont bother Applying to this place
Medical Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYAugust 3, 2018
Worst organization to be a part of, Specially the clinical Utilization and Management department is the worst place to be. They treat you like a kindergarten student.
Pros
Cons
Worthless place, please don't bother applying job here. People don't even have the basic manners
tuff job.
patient care ASSOICATE (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJuly 29, 2018
no staffing and zero appreciation. 12 hour shifts for nursing staff. the culture of the hospital is mixed. 30 minute drive from the city. public transportation is hard
Fast paced work environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJuly 10, 2018
The Hardest part of my job was cleaning the contact rooms (airborn virus infected rooms) but I enjoyed working with my coworkers they were extremely helpful
Pros
Room to grow in the hospital
Cons
Expensive meals
Medical
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYJuly 9, 2018
Everyday was unpredictable when it came to patient care. 24 hours, five day a week it was a fast pace environment. In the medical field you learn something new, and management helps with the process so everyone is always on the same page. Hardest part was to see a family member lose another to illness or tragedy. However, cure was the most enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westchester Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight