WestCoast Children's Clinic Employee Reviews

n/a
STAT Full-time Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 9, 2019
-Observed and recorded children’s behavior, emotional, and psychological states
▪ Communicated observations verbally and in written format per program protocols
▪ Cross-trained with non-clinical client care tasks
▪ Maintained close communication with other Support Counselors, STAT clinicians, STAT Support Counselor Supervisor, STAT Assistant Program Director, Alameda County Social Service staff, and public health nurse
▪ Completed medical protocol and documentation per intake
Relaxed environment with intense caseloads.
Intensive Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 2, 2019
Fairly good place to work and they are dedicated to helping the clients by all means possible. So they are one of the highest paying non profits still standing.
Pros
A lot of freedom and supportive supervisors
Cons
Heavy workload, high expectations, billable notes and the pressure to hit you required hours for the week.
Get out ASAP
Outpatient Psychotherapy Clinician (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 15, 2018
Don’t stay here too long. Get your hours and license, then get out. I doubt managers or directors are willing to do the clinical work themselves. They value policies over people. The clinic doesn’t know how to value their clinicians. Although they are dedicated to working with black and brown families and youth, I think the agency really just cares about getting the money/hours from MediCal Paperwork is unnecessarily long and tedious. Many great clinicians have left and some were fired. Leadership only knows how to comply to rules, they have very little vision or ideas about how to make the work better. They talk endelessly about self care but The angency doesn’t address how they are actively disempowering employees and bringing down morale. Upper management and leadership really need to get training on how to be effective and visionary leaders. Hard to find that work/life balance with this job. Most of the people in upper management are white people (and don’t reflect the community they’re servinsome of the POCs in upper management perpetuate oppressioin.

If you want to survive here. Just do your work and meet their productivity requirements. Get promoted if you get, otherwise, just get out. Attrition level at this agency is probably equivalent to other community mental health agencies.
Pros
Great coworkers, clinicians are dedicated to children and social justice
Cons
Some program directors have poor boundaries and are far removed from the clinical work.
n/a
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 8, 2018
Youth advocate program is not friendly. Travel is required and sometime I was sent to cancelled meeting. Management needs to be evaluated. There was a physical altercation on a work day.
Overall Stressful
Relief STAT Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 21, 2018
Stressful place to work at. No advanced opportunity to move up in the company. The management overworks the staff completely. The children are not the issue it is the staff and the pay.
Really tough work but rewarding
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Oakland, Fruitvale DistrictMarch 10, 2018
As a therapist at Westcoast, I work with children and their families who have experienced pretty severe trauma. I go into their communities and do the therapy. Westcoast has a large clinic where we can provide treatment, but most families prefer for you to go to their homes for sessions. We have to make our billable hours which ranges from 50%-65% depending on what department you are in. If you make your hours every quarter, you receive a bonus. And at the end of the fiscal year, you get a contribution to your 403B in addition to the annual bonus.
Whether you are licensed or not, you receive weekly supervision and you participate in a weekly case conference (group supervision). And a few Fridays per month we receive trainings from experts in the field from around the country. A wonderdul lunch is provided after trainings.
I have a really wonderful supervisor who takes the time to really know me and my work.
Pros
Really nice facility, kind staff, good pay, breakfast every friday
Cons
Parking is a problem
fast pace,
Intensive Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 4, 2018
getting meeting schedule with services provider and clients, Getting to work with clients and provider, Making your own schedule, need more diversity in culture
Pros
remote working
Cons
sometimes working pass working hours
Management does not value staff
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 14, 2017
I'm looking for another job after I watched my co-worker deal with being harassed by her supervisor and then when that person reported it she was silenced and retaliated against by HR and management. It cut morale when she left. I don't really feel good about working here anymore knowing that could happen to me.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
HR and management does not support workers or take them seriously
A good place to get hours. Not a good place to get comfortable.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 11, 2017
Often praises itself on being the best of the best, but mostly tends to send clinicians without proper training or support into highly traumatized populations. When issues arise they are often framed as enactments so management doesn't have to own their part when they behave unprofessionally. Exhausted and overworked clinical staff. High turn over. Supervisors seem removed from the actual work and don't relate well to clinicians doing the work. Clinicians feel paranoid and talked about behind their backs. Lots of secrecy from top down, little room for advancement, Clinicians who are experienced are sometimes viewed as a threat by management and treated badly until they leave, People who don't cause problems are valued above hard work.
Pros
bagels on friday. Snacks.
Cons
Pseudo intellectual enviornment, difficult to have a life while working here, paranoid corperate atmosphere
Admin
Clinical Services Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 30, 2017
I do not recommend working here as an administrative support staff member. I cannot speak to working here in a clinical role. There is little to no room for growth.
Friendly Work Environment
Office and Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 3, 2017
Everyone is actively making sure everyone else is doing well. A lot of helping out co-workers. Fun activities every month to promote inclusion and teamwork.
Pros
Free Breakfast / Lunches
People that work there really want to help the kids.
FileMaker Developer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 4, 2017
Good place that really helps children. Good benefits, including health, dental, eye, retirement plan, and life insurance. Free lunches on Fridays and outings.
great place
STAT Clinician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2016
Good place to work to gain experience and grow in the field. Good supervision, get to create own hours; a lot of trauma, ongoing training from people renowned in the field.
Pros
understanding
Cons
tough gig
Productive, Engaging and Fun
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 11, 2015
I enjoying working with West Coast Children's Clinic in the Youth Advocate program. It's Upbeat and Balanced. I outreach to youth in Need and I advocate in different meetings on their behalf to systematically change the underdeveloped and procedures that arent beneficial for them. I also attend different conferences and sit on pride panels, sub committees. Aside from making sure youth have concrete measures to cultivate a better life to self sufficiency. I also make sure Alameda County has the awareness of the foster youth needs and how policies needs to change in up coming bills. Some days are more hectic than others, I do lot of traveling and I talk to youth about what services that are available to them and what their rights are as a foster youth, probation or C-SEC. I share a office with my co-workers and the atmosphere is lovely. Its very productive and we all have a sense of humor. I love my supervisors and how they work with us and multi tasks other duties. I personally find it a joy to watch.
Pros
Working with you, professionally developing
Cons
Does not have a case load, not enough time in the day to finish work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WestCoast Children's Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

WestCoast Children's Clinic Reviews by Location