WestEd Employee Reviews

Great team, poor management
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 21, 2019
My position was new at WestEd and they obviously didn't know what to do with me, so most of the time I just sat at my desk waiting for something to happen. Management is chaotic and not sure of what to do with most of the employees. The team however was wonderful to work with and the environment is very supportive. The pay is great and the benefits are good but you lose your Social Security. I heard one employee say she's been laid off for over a year and had to live off of her retirement and now she has no retirement as she's approaching retirement age.
Pros
Great environment, great people
Cons
Chaotic management
Good Work if you can get it
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CADecember 10, 2018
Dependent on grants so can be harsh, some managers are very good, some are just there because of a degree. So it's a hit or miss situation and depends on some amount of luck.
Great Mission
Graphic Design Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 21, 2018
- WestEd's mission is one that anyone would feel great to be part of.
- Benefits are second to none.
- However, for those without background in education, career advancement is difficult.
WestEd was a great Company to work for.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 14, 2018
A typical day at West Ed was great.
It was a great educational firm, with great people.
Management was Okay.
The workplace culture was pretty interesting.
The hardest part of the job was getting there.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with were down to earth people, and very easy to get along with.
Great Educational non-Profit
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2017
WestEd is a great Educational non-Profit research and development agency. Primary goal is working with teachers professional development in the field of education from K-12.
Benefits
Interesting work on IP defense matter, great people in upper management
Paralegal to General Counsel (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 12, 2017
Enjoyed relative autonomy researching and reporting for IP defense matter. Handled high-volume of document reviews which was an excellent learning experience. Enjoyed searching for, recognizing, and producing the "silver bullet" evidence which helped an early settlement in mediation at Summary Judgement in favor of the defense.
Pros
Interesting work; great people in upper management, approachable
Cons
Pay could have been better; no benefits as a contractor
Awesome Company
Web developer, development team leader (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 18, 2017
Good work culture, nice people, very lovely environment, friendly boss! and all good thing in one word,
I need to pay my bills so I cannot afford with continue working there,
Fun work atmosphere. Terrible Management.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2016
I had the opportunity to work across departments and I must say both departments offer no professional development for their support staff. However, you may take a self developed professional development course for project directors... if you're a project director.

It's either sink or swim.
Cons
Unorganized management, no project planning for future success
What I learned
Professional Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southern caSeptember 21, 2016
I learned to be a sample to others by my enthusiastic, and model, I learned to not scare when I give feedbacks to others. And how administrate assessments to preschoolers.
Smart people, great mission, horrible management
Research staff (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 27, 2016
WestEd serves a huge need of providing services and evaluations to the greater education and health communities. That being said, the general company management is fairly archaic and slow to adapt to or embrace new technologies, policies, and trends. There is very minimal training for managers, and no consistency across office locations with regard to hiring needs, job evaluations, promotions, bonuses, and staff training.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management, Hr, professional development
Undervalued
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2016
Undervalue their employees, although the people there are pretty wonderful. I learned a lot throughout the time I was there which will stay with me the rest of my career, but did not feel valued whatsoever. No real, work-life balance.
Good work environment
Director, Center (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 6, 2015
Great group of dedicated people throughout the organization. Some regional offices are continuing to seek an identity and some new managers struggle with high managerial skills.
WestEd has a great mission and is trying to improve management
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 8, 2014
This is a tightly controlled organization that is working to grow by redesigning its management structure to encourage the development of new leaders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WestEd. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss