Western & Southern Financial Group Employee Reviews

experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 12, 2018
I was not a fan of working for this company as they were unethical in their practices, it became a "man's" world and was not a profitable experience or a pleasant time.
Financial Institution
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 2, 2018
Western & Southern is a financial institution that has strict regulations for its employees to follow. You are continually judged on making additional sales for the sales department while servicing existing accounts. The company has good benefits but doesn't value the personal needs of the employees.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
High expectations
Production
BENEFITS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 1, 2018
Western & Southern Financial Group is a sturdy and overall great company to work for. Family oriented and team environment. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Not bad
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 23, 2018
But if you don't follow the system by one little bit, you will be criticized and shamed even though your strategy is working. If you go there, they will tell you that you are a w2, which you are but they will make you believe that it is a salary. They don't tell you that you make your salary.
Productive Organization but moves at a slow pace for technology
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 2, 2018
My typical day at Western & Southern is many meetings driven by collaboration to move towards different ways of thinking, executing a strategy, and making change within the environment. The easiest part of the job for me is partnering with my peers and team to make better, more informed decisions and motivating one another to think differently for the greater good of the organization. The hardest part of the job, however, is driving the senior leadership within the organization to make the right decisions holistically across core business unit lines, based on conversations around benefits, risks and costs to the organizations regarding the decisions we make. It's tough getting people to think broadly outside of what they are directly responsible for.
Pros
Free lunch, just improved dental benefits and also added short term disability benefits for expecting parents.
Cons
Lack of work life balance, health benefits are paid for by the company directly.
Volunteer
Volunteer Marshal (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 25, 2018
This was a volunteer opportunity in which helped the Children's Hospital of Cincinnati. I was able to help make the tournament into an enjoyable one for the players and the guests.
Sometimes good Mostly Unprofessional
Financial Services Agent (Former Employee) –  MarylandMarch 3, 2018
District management and sales manager at the time when I worked there where both extremely immature and extremely unprofessional Those are the reasons I resigned the culture was to stressful and silly. W&S is a good company with excellent products Just have poor taste in hiring Managers.
If you're vibrant, innovative and creative this isn't for you!!!
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2018
Corporate records backfile team has fake/biased manager who harasses you unless you're a brown noser. No transparency to save your life unless its time for a written counsel. There is no diversity I can count on my fingers and toes how many black ppl work in the company. They will cover up dirt for favored employees. I warned you run for the hills my loves run!!!!!!!!!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
WACK management
Very business related company
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 16, 2018
This company is a great place to work and they really take care of their employees however they are very strict with schedule adherence and logged into your phone.
Pros
free meals
Cons
short breaks
We have always don it this way
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 10, 2018
The job is not the problem, it's the culture and the I am better than you attitude that people present. They tend to pick on people and try and find anything to make you feel less adequate. When I started I was so excited to be at a company who "cared" for their associates and valued development. Then I found out that they only value certain people. If you are not in their circle, then you will not fit in and they will find ways to get rid of you.
I have been there for a year, and things I have seen are hypocritical, bias, and favoritism is a part of every day business. It is sad that a company has to suffer because of the ill-behavior of some of their associates and management.
Well established secure environment
Customer Service Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 5, 2018
Typical day was well established - clear standards of what to do - learned many systems and information about industry and company. Culture is high on radar, management could use more training in communication.
Pros
Free lunch, bonus, benefits
Cons
Tenured individuals in managerial positions - difficult to find open spot
Great company
Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAFebruary 5, 2018
Very competitive industry, but in the middle market, WSFG is the best. Very solid product line, priced well for the market, and lots of opportunity. Good employer
Enjoyable
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Western and Southern Financial Group. I started fresh out of college so it was challenging to work on straight commissions. I ended up leaving because of a personal situation, not because I didn't enjoy working there.
collaborative
Regional Vice President (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 30, 2018
W&S is a very strong mutual insurance company but a little behind the times when it comes to product competitiveness. Management is good but is heavily controlled by the CEO which leaves less room for improvement of the day to day products or services.
Loved working there.
Pot Washer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 24, 2018
Was not fast enough to complete all the tasks required in my job description. Loved all the people there and would love to go back to them at a different position.
Pros
Good company with lot of benefits
Cons
Would not work with me to build up speed or switch positions.
working there
Food prep/Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45202January 18, 2018
I loved working at Western and Southern and would still be there today if we hadn't moved to Tennessee.the work enviromentt was amazing and the people there were top notch
Pros
free lunch and breakfast and great benefits
Great Company/ Poor Management
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 4, 2017
Very nice insurance company with fair pay structure, benefits and product offerings. Horrible management in the Baltimore office. Horrible agency manager. Extremely arrogant and rude. Sales manager is unethical and unsanitary with his office behavior. Spitting in office trash cans and passing gas in the faces of agents and clients. Office culture is rather bland and depressing at times but that can be blamed on management. Very responsive book of business and information easily accessible. Excellent help line (SOS)
Pros
Pay, Benefits and Training
Cons
Life as a financial adviser
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHDecember 4, 2017
A typical day involves meeting with clients, making phone calls to fill schedule with clients. Doing prep work for client meetings. There is constant training to give you the tools you need to succeed. The management is there when needed and does everything they can to help. The office is friendly, helpful while being competitive to keep you going. The hardest part of the job is making cold calls to get people on your schedule. You have to have thick skin to survive the rejections. I really enjoy being able to help people. Knowing I can give them peace of mind to care for their family in a time of need.
Pros
being able to work around personal appointments
Cons
Work a lot of hours and end up with a little paycheck
Stressful
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Marion, OhioNovember 27, 2017
This was a commission based job so it required a lot of hours. When a relative had a stroke, there was no way to be able to continue to work the hours.
Client Relationship Center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 5, 2017
The CRC is, what I like to call, a call center on steroids. You are dealing with customers who have issues and do not want to help themselves, and when something goes wrong, that's when they call home office. You are constantly trying to resolve problems that you didn't create but still trying to get the angry customer to purchase addition coverage with you.
But that, a person can almost manage on a daily basis. What becomes difficult is when every action you take is being watched like a hawk and then critiqued. Using the restroom is considered unproductive and hurts your stats, keeping you from ever going above and beyond. You can work 7-10 hours of overtime a week, but if you are more than 2 minutes late, you get an occurrence, which is treated like original sin in that department.
If you need off and you give them 2 months notice, you still might not get the day off no matter how important it is, leading the associate to take, yet another, occurrence.
If you like extreme micromanagement, this is the place for you!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.7Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight