Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company
Staff Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 17, 2018
I never had any issues with Western & Southern Life. They supported me in every way possible to make myself and my team successful. Great support from management.
Decent job if you can handle the sales pressure
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 10, 2018
This job ultimately isn’t terrible but it requires a lot of preseverance. Your management will pressure you to get appointment and submission to meet quotas.

You do this mainly two ways: try to sell to your family or cold calls. One you risk potentially destroying your personal life and the other you deal with low success rates.

The only good thing I can say is I learned a lot of financial stuff under their tutelage and what the insurance industry is about. W&S is not as terrible as Transamerica in terms of aggression but it’s still that pushy salesman type.

Salary is mainly commission. No sales, no wages.
Holiday and benefits are generous and the direct management can be understanding.
Pros
Lots of financial stuff to learn, generous holidays and benefits, not as bad as other life insurance company
Cons
Sales pressure, pushy management, unstable wages
Came for a team never found one
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 9, 2018
Local incredibly disappointing management was my primary problem with the company, however, at the point I choose to leave it really came down to the handling of a very sensitive situation by our home office,
Great Development Company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 2, 2018
Great training and skill development company. I met many great people and had much success early. The industry became too competitive and the company became too scarce with resources for leadership.
Pros
Benefits, Skill Development
Cons
Poor comp plan, lacked leaders
Good Experience
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 28, 2018
Typical work day involves, prospecting and scheduling appointments, meeting people, networking, fact finding, communicating, finding gratifying solutions, and writing policies or selling products.
Western & Southern Life
Health & Life Agent (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJune 25, 2018
Western and Southern was my first position in insurance sales. I believe that Western and Southern Life Insurance is a good company, and have said that I wish that this were my second or third experience in insurance. I believe if I knew what I know now I would have still been there. I would know the questions I needed to asked and the actions I needed to take. This was a small office and a small sales staff which works well for me.

Their products were well rounded and meet the needs of their insures. They had training to keep the staff up to date on the market and products they offered.

I have no comment on the CEO of this company as I can't remember any interaction with them
Pros
Products and Training
Cons
Charge backs, a reason I am no longer interested in sales in the insurance industry.
flexibility is great, but it's time for a change.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 25, 2018
over all the company is a great place to work. I do believe in moving on to bigger and better job opportunities, and the time for me is now. I ,also believe in being happy , and enjoying what I do.
Pros
making your own schedules
Cons
clients that don't pay their bills on time.
good
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXJune 22, 2018
For a person who is starting in the insurance industry, this company could be a great school. But when you are willing to work with securities, 401K's and pension plans roll overs, you need to go forward to the next level. That was what really happened to me when I decided to jump to another company that I can work with these concepts.
Very professional
Confidential Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 18, 2018
Good strong company to work for. Culture was awesome. Management was very pleasant open to invite new ideas and opinions. Open door policy was helpful.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Micro managerial style and pressure for immediate sales, absent of building client base
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 9, 2018
The corporation was great and human resources but the Wilmington office micro managed and tried to oversell to present clients. The label financial advisor is overstated and gives a false impression to clients and the claim that they are as good as Edward Jones or a brokerage firm is suspect.Some harassment and personal insults took place along with gossip and lack of confidential protection of client information took place. Defamation of clients by insults to the character of the client and it was so bad that I consulted with an attorney. I would never want them to see my financial statements. If you want a career in finance work for a real financial firm if you want a life long respected career as a true financial advisor,do not work here. This is selling insurance and annuities only,you gain little financial education.You are only a salesperson.
Pros
Some money and mediocre health insurance
Cons
Constant travel, micro management and little chance for growth beyond the scripted sales routine.
Not a place to make money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 19, 2018
This is an insurance company based out of OH that doesn't believe in advertising. They believe in word of mouth only. I don't know how to market a company like that.
Great place to work.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2018
Management was awesome. Worked. with you every day. Weekly meetings very informant. Great boss would work with me in the field no matter when I asked him and didn’t matter the time of day. All the training and tools needed to succeed.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not all clients were great
Sales
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioMay 17, 2018
High pressure, commission based, hard to recruit new business and you are pressured constantly to meet goals. It is a very difficult task and hard to balance having a family with the hours you have to work.
Nice easy going atmosphere to work in
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Peoria County, ILMay 15, 2018
This was an outstanding Company and the Management and Training Staff were well trained and easy to work with. The training site in Cincinnati was well kept clean and very conducive to learning the necessary steps of closing Insurance Sales.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Having to deal with unkind public at times
Commission-based
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 6, 2018
I did not stay at this employer long due to it being my first commision based job. I hated it. The company itself seemed like a good company. Decent training.
Great company to work for
District Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 20, 2018
The work load wasn't too stressful, easily manageable. I learned about Life insurance and the process of it all. The work culture was friendly and everyone became like a family. Paperwork was the main part of the job.
A great place to work if you want to advance and move
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2018
There are a lot of opportunities to move to different states for jobs. You get to interact with clients and field agents on a daily basis. The atmosphere is very helpful.
Pros
Definite work culture
Cons
Need for more schooling as you work
Be Careful?
Agent (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHMarch 23, 2018
When I interviewed for a position, I applied as an agent selling for eight years. I was lied to. When I was hired I had the feeling that I could sell Final Expense, and Indexed Universal Life? Far from it?
The Final Expense product through underwriting was almost impossible unless if they had perfect health. And you could not sell the IUL product without the Series 6 license. Company rule, not state.(IUL is a life insurance product...not a Security product). I had problems with a few of the managers(which took a transfer), however, I felt I could not trust the company anymore. New manager was very helpful. Went out of her way. But damage was done.
Pros
flexibility, co-workers, paid training for 7 weeks
Cons
Tough Underwriting, lower then average commissions
Commission Sales!
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Piqua, OHMarch 19, 2018
A Top Notch company with corresponding pricing. To Make it happen you have to put in the hours required or be an exceptionally good salesperson. If you can do this the sky is your limit.
Very stressful work environment and you're working 50+ hours for week
Staff Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2018
Very stressful work environment and you're expected to be working 50+ hours for week so there is no work/life balance, and the manager I was working was really hard to deal with. Expectation does not meet reality!
Pros
set your own work schedule
Cons
very stressful, good is not enough, and unreal expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Life. Our community is ready to answer.