Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

benefits
Project Coordinator, Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Very professional, great community tight nit workers. I love the incentives for the workers. Would love to work there again! longevity is the key to obtaining good workers
rate: 2.5
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INAugust 31, 2018
Management was to much featured on the amount of policies not the clients. The territory was too small to meet the needs of the sale of new policies. It could be better.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Territory of sales.
Great Company
AGENCY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  2710 Gate way Oaks Drive, Sacramento CAAugust 27, 2018
Executive teams in home office strive to work with local offices and assist with their need, local offices carried and manage sales, training and hiring of new representatives. The autonomy of the managers allowed personal growth and personal successes.
Great company to work for.
Pros
Great financial opportunities
Cons
Some prices of products are not as competitive
Good workplace during my tenure
Financial Rep (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 17, 2018
Good workplace. I had a long commute from Chicago to office covering 50 miles round trip. I decided to become an independent rep, to work from home and avoid office travel.
Long days, nights required
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Van Wert ohioAugust 6, 2018
Very poor management, required meetings that everyone just sat and stared at each other at, very little training.Offered paid holidays, health insurance, life insurance.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management, lack of training
Unhappy environment
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 31, 2018
I would not recommend this company. There is no flexibility and you often do the job of others without any mention of appreciation. Promotions are given without compensation.
Fun but stressful
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 26, 2018
Pros: not stuck in an office all day. Meet new people. First year commissions are a high percentage. Win gift cards/prizes from simple contests.
Cons: very stressful if no one buys insurance from you.
Great Company
Staff Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 17, 2018
I never had any issues with Western & Southern Life. They supported me in every way possible to make myself and my team successful. Great support from management.
Decent job if you can handle the sales pressure
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 10, 2018
This job ultimately isn’t terrible but it requires a lot of preseverance. Your management will pressure you to get appointment and submission to meet quotas.

You do this mainly two ways: try to sell to your family or cold calls. One you risk potentially destroying your personal life and the other you deal with low success rates.

The only good thing I can say is I learned a lot of financial stuff under their tutelage and what the insurance industry is about. W&S is not as terrible as Transamerica in terms of aggression but it’s still that pushy salesman type.

Salary is mainly commission. No sales, no wages.
Holiday and benefits are generous and the direct management can be understanding.
Pros
Lots of financial stuff to learn, generous holidays and benefits, not as bad as other life insurance company
Cons
Sales pressure, pushy management, unstable wages
Came for a team never found one
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 9, 2018
Local incredibly disappointing management was my primary problem with the company, however, at the point I choose to leave it really came down to the handling of a very sensitive situation by our home office,
I did no enjoy
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  East Liverpool, OH 43920July 8, 2018
This was a very difficult company to work for - home insurance sales is not a very successful job in this area and it wasn't something I enjoyed. This was not a very supportive company.
Pros
Cons
undecided
Great Development Company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 2, 2018
Great training and skill development company. I met many great people and had much success early. The industry became too competitive and the company became too scarce with resources for leadership.
Pros
Benefits, Skill Development
Cons
Poor comp plan, lacked leaders
Good Experience
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 28, 2018
Typical work day involves, prospecting and scheduling appointments, meeting people, networking, fact finding, communicating, finding gratifying solutions, and writing policies or selling products.
Western & Southern Life
Health & Life Agent (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJune 25, 2018
Western and Southern was my first position in insurance sales. I believe that Western and Southern Life Insurance is a good company, and have said that I wish that this were my second or third experience in insurance. I believe if I knew what I know now I would have still been there. I would know the questions I needed to asked and the actions I needed to take. This was a small office and a small sales staff which works well for me.

Their products were well rounded and meet the needs of their insures. They had training to keep the staff up to date on the market and products they offered.

I have no comment on the CEO of this company as I can't remember any interaction with them
Pros
Products and Training
Cons
Charge backs, a reason I am no longer interested in sales in the insurance industry.
flexibility is great, but it's time for a change.
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 25, 2018
over all the company is a great place to work. I do believe in moving on to bigger and better job opportunities, and the time for me is now. I ,also believe in being happy , and enjoying what I do.
Pros
making your own schedules
Cons
clients that don't pay their bills on time.
good
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TXJune 22, 2018
For a person who is starting in the insurance industry, this company could be a great school. But when you are willing to work with securities, 401K's and pension plans roll overs, you need to go forward to the next level. That was what really happened to me when I decided to jump to another company that I can work with these concepts.
Very professional
Confidential Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 18, 2018
Good strong company to work for. Culture was awesome. Management was very pleasant open to invite new ideas and opinions. Open door policy was helpful.
Pros
Perks
Cons
Micro managerial style and pressure for immediate sales, absent of building client base
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJune 9, 2018
The corporation was great and human resources but the Wilmington office micro managed and tried to oversell to present clients. The label financial advisor is overstated and gives a false impression to clients and the claim that they are as good as Edward Jones or a brokerage firm is suspect.Some harassment and personal insults took place along with gossip and lack of confidential protection of client information took place. Defamation of clients by insults to the character of the client and it was so bad that I consulted with an attorney. I would never want them to see my financial statements. If you want a career in finance work for a real financial firm if you want a life long respected career as a true financial advisor,do not work here. This is selling insurance and annuities only,you gain little financial education.You are only a salesperson.
Pros
Some money and mediocre health insurance
Cons
Constant travel, micro management and little chance for growth beyond the scripted sales routine.
Not a place to make money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 19, 2018
This is an insurance company based out of OH that doesn't believe in advertising. They believe in word of mouth only. I don't know how to market a company like that.
Great place to work.
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2018
Management was awesome. Worked. with you every day. Weekly meetings very informant. Great boss would work with me in the field no matter when I asked him and didn’t matter the time of day. All the training and tools needed to succeed.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not all clients were great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Life. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about