Western & Southern Life Employee Reviews

Terrible
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILDecember 3, 2018
Horrible management, more concerned about themselves than employees. No care give to retention. Management ill-equipped for this century. Granted great freedom but hard targets are not explicit -they leave you hanging.
Loved my coworkers, felt like I didn’t have a job
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Maysville, KY 41056November 5, 2018
If you’re not willing to put a minimum of 16 hours a day into a job, don’t waste your time unless you like making far less than minimum wage. You make the company a load of money and only see a portion. Once you leave, the rest of your portion (or ‘bank’) is absorbed by the company. Even if you take a personal day, you will still be harassed by management about your personal sales quotas stating that ‘nothing is more important than making money’. Would NEVER refer a family oriented person to ANY position in this company.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Literally EVERYTHING ELSE
Work from home with a valued company. Over 130 years of experience.
FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 15, 2018
Company offers life insurance, health insurance, business insurance, and retirement planning. You know company will be there to help protect your family and your business with over 130 years in the business. Awesome products and super company to work with.
Pros
Pays above average for production and backs their employees.
Cons
Can not cover P & C to tie everything to one company.
Failing Company
Agent / Local Office (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHOctober 9, 2018
They were loosing business and would not change to meet the technoloy need and needs of clients. They would not sell the products and services that was best for the client. The trainer could not do the job at the level that was being asked of the people being trained.
Perfect for the right sales person
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHSeptember 30, 2018
If you are good at sales and start real young with this company, you have a very good chance at making a powerful career. The training is phenomenal. There are so many times that your clients lapse their policy through no fault of your own, while at the same time you might not have a sale. This will wipe out your reserves. You need to always have a large personal savings, or a part time job to tread water. If you are young and living at home or married with a spouse who is able to support your financial dips, this job is for you. Otherwise, making money is a very stressful feast or famine!
Pros
Freedom to free style your hours weekly
Cons
Un-predictable income/ some weeks no income!
benefits
Project Coordinator, Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Very professional, great community tight nit workers. I love the incentives for the workers. Would love to work there again! longevity is the key to obtaining good workers
Fine
Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHSeptember 10, 2018
The best way to make it here is by being diligent and disciplined.
Commission 100% can be a blessing and a curse, depending on the week.
Management was fine and had very helpful supervisors.
rate: 2.5
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Connersville, INAugust 31, 2018
Management was to much featured on the amount of policies not the clients. The territory was too small to meet the needs of the sale of new policies. It could be better.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Territory of sales.
Great Company
AGENCY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  2710 Gate way Oaks Drive, Sacramento CAAugust 27, 2018
Executive teams in home office strive to work with local offices and assist with their need, local offices carried and manage sales, training and hiring of new representatives. The autonomy of the managers allowed personal growth and personal successes.
Great company to work for.
Pros
Great financial opportunities
Cons
Some prices of products are not as competitive
Good workplace during my tenure
Financial Rep (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 17, 2018
Good workplace. I had a long commute from Chicago to office covering 50 miles round trip. I decided to become an independent rep, to work from home and avoid office travel.
Long days, nights required
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Van Wert ohioAugust 6, 2018
Very poor management, required meetings that everyone just sat and stared at each other at, very little training.Offered paid holidays, health insurance, life insurance.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor management, lack of training
Unhappy environment
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 31, 2018
I would not recommend this company. There is no flexibility and you often do the job of others without any mention of appreciation. Promotions are given without compensation.
Fun but stressful
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 26, 2018
Pros: not stuck in an office all day. Meet new people. First year commissions are a high percentage. Win gift cards/prizes from simple contests.
Cons: very stressful if no one buys insurance from you.
Great Company
Staff Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 17, 2018
I never had any issues with Western & Southern Life. They supported me in every way possible to make myself and my team successful. Great support from management.
Decent job if you can handle the sales pressure
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 10, 2018
This job ultimately isn’t terrible but it requires a lot of preseverance. Your management will pressure you to get appointment and submission to meet quotas.

You do this mainly two ways: try to sell to your family or cold calls. One you risk potentially destroying your personal life and the other you deal with low success rates.

The only good thing I can say is I learned a lot of financial stuff under their tutelage and what the insurance industry is about. W&S is not as terrible as Transamerica in terms of aggression but it’s still that pushy salesman type.

Salary is mainly commission. No sales, no wages.
Holiday and benefits are generous and the direct management can be understanding.
Pros
Lots of financial stuff to learn, generous holidays and benefits, not as bad as other life insurance company
Cons
Sales pressure, pushy management, unstable wages
Came for a team never found one
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 9, 2018
Local incredibly disappointing management was my primary problem with the company, however, at the point I choose to leave it really came down to the handling of a very sensitive situation by our home office,
I did no enjoy
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  East Liverpool, OH 43920July 8, 2018
This was a very difficult company to work for - home insurance sales is not a very successful job in this area and it wasn't something I enjoyed. This was not a very supportive company.
Pros
Cons
undecided
Great Development Company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 2, 2018
Great training and skill development company. I met many great people and had much success early. The industry became too competitive and the company became too scarce with resources for leadership.
Pros
Benefits, Skill Development
Cons
Poor comp plan, lacked leaders
Good Experience
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 28, 2018
Typical work day involves, prospecting and scheduling appointments, meeting people, networking, fact finding, communicating, finding gratifying solutions, and writing policies or selling products.
Western & Southern Life
Health & Life Agent (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJune 25, 2018
Western and Southern was my first position in insurance sales. I believe that Western and Southern Life Insurance is a good company, and have said that I wish that this were my second or third experience in insurance. I believe if I knew what I know now I would have still been there. I would know the questions I needed to asked and the actions I needed to take. This was a small office and a small sales staff which works well for me.

Their products were well rounded and meet the needs of their insures. They had training to keep the staff up to date on the market and products they offered.

I have no comment on the CEO of this company as I can't remember any interaction with them
Pros
Products and Training
Cons
Charge backs, a reason I am no longer interested in sales in the insurance industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western & Southern Life. Our community is ready to answer.