Western Carolina University Employee Reviews

Unhealthy work environmnet
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NC 28723August 16, 2018
I worked in five positions at WCU, both in administration and as a faculty member. My supervisors were abusive, unethical, and unqualified. I would not recommend working here.
Just needed administrative support
Head Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 18, 2018
When I took the job as Head Women's Basketball Coach at WCU, the program had only won 2 conference games in the previous 3 years. The program had never really been competitive going back to its inception. With half the scholarships of the other Southern Conference teams we competed with (Furman, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Marshall, East Tennessee State, Wofford, Davidson), we were able to compete and win conference games. I was frustrated at WCU because we were never on a level playing field with the other conference members. I also felt like I had reached the proverbial 'glass ceiling' being a male coaching female athlete, because at that time, the movement to hire female head coaches had begun. Coaching at a Division I school is challenging, tough, and stressful. It is a 'back-stabbing, 'what can you do for me today,' type atmosphere.
Pros
I loved every one of my players. We competed as under-dogs almost every game!
Cons
Pay, administrative support
Western
International Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 16, 2018
Western is a home for everyone. The environment in Western give most people the energy to study and work to be successful. Western was the home for all the knowledge that I gain through the seven years of study and hard-working
very busy and demanding workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 19, 2018
Days at work for management were extremely busy and demanding. Guidelines for yearly targets get tougher to reach each year. You do get free food and there are chances for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate. It was enjoyable to get to work with a diverse staff of employees.
Pros
Free lunches and chances for advancement
Cons
Long hours and strict budgets
This review only pertains to a teaching assistant position
GNR - Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 4, 2018
The teaching assistants are paid fairly and are well involved in each class both with students and professors. I do not know what full-time benefits are for WCU but I know they exist.
Pros
Engaged learning
Cons
Flat rate pay
Good Job
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 2, 2018
Easy job with flexible hours. Can be slightly boring at times, but the job is very easy. Nice staff and would recommend the job to any student on campus looking for a part-time job.
Great Place
Computer Support Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 22, 2018
Great experience. The atmosphere is amazing. They actually want you to succeed. They assist you in anyway they can. Training is an option and continues throughout working.
Pros
Experiences
Cons
N/a
I was a student here
Student (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 16, 2018
This review is only about my time as a student. Sorry but I couldn't figure out how to skip this part.
It was a great place to be a student and learn. I was able to enjoy the outdoors without being bombarded by distractions.
Entourage (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 16, 2018
I have much experience in touring perspective families around the campus of Western Carolina. I have learned how to deal with many types of people. The workplace is a great environment.
A Good University
Instructor in the Intensive English Program (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 10, 2018
The Intensive English program is excellent. Students from all over the world come to Cullowhee to learn English. The curriculum is strong; students get what they need.
Dietetic Internship
Dietetic Internship (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCApril 27, 2018
My dietetic internship with Western Carolina University was very good. Our internship director was excellent. This internship prepared me to start my career in dietetics.
Productive Workplace
Public Address Announcer (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCApril 18, 2018
This was my first work experience, providing a great entry into sports broadcasting for my great university. As the first year of college ends for me, it makes me wonder what I will experience working for the athletic department of my school in the future.
A decent place to work
Parking Officer (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 19, 2018
Overall it is most certainly not the worse job. It can be stressful at times due to the insane amount of people during events. It can become somewhat stressful at times.
Pros
Co-workers were always willing to help
Cons
Slow at times
Quick paced and collaborative
Research Co-Inverstigator (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 3, 2018
Conducting research and teach at Western Carolina University provides invaluable work experiences for those interested in academia or a future career in research.
Great resume bullet
Course Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 15, 2018
You're a tutor. People cancel all the time. Think twice about this if you walk a long way to the facility. Tutoring has its ups and downs. Working with professors can be great, or terrible. It really depends on the professor. Don't try to hard with students who don't try to hard.
Life as an Intern
Counseling and Psychological Center (CAPS) Intern (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 7, 2018
This was a wonderful experience for my first internship position. The staff here is extremely supportive and everyone is so willing to help. I am happy that I was able to work with so many competent mental health care providers. I am so sad that I have to leave when I graduate in May!
Pros
Excellent supervision, great team, working with clients.
Excellant learning environment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCFebruary 4, 2018
Very good learning environment working under the direct supervision of my masters boss. Many opportunities to contribute and work toward a common goal.
Part time.
OLSI Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 30, 2018
Decent part time job while I was a full time student. Good environment. Pay could be better. They work with your class schedule so that you never have to miss a class for work.
Hit and miss
School Cerifying Official (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 30, 2018
Each department on campus has its own unique characteristics, some good and helpful others not so much. Every department has student interaction which I feel is a plus.
Pros
Opportunity for community involvement
Cons
Paying for parking
Poor Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 28, 2018
The college allows or overlooks supervisors who use bullying and coarse language with their employees and even, sometimes, students. Management is poor and underhanded in dealings and the HR department does not follow legal guidelines set forth by the state or the federal government.