Western Carolina University Employee Reviews

Intercultural Affairs!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 13, 2019
I was a graduate assistant in intercultural affairs. We had a great time while being productive. we hosted some of the best, thought-provoking events on campus.
Low pay but convenient
Student Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 7, 2019
It's a student labor job. The pay sucks but you can walk out of class and be at your job. Enjoyed my boss. Don't plan on making this a job you'll pay your bills with.
Excellent work experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buncombe County, NCFebruary 5, 2019
I enjoyed my job. I worked at my own pace. I had a weekly deadline to grade assignments. Tgis position tested my time management skills. I worked hard and communicate with the professors. It was a great experience.
Friendly work environment
Intramural Supervisor at WCU (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 29, 2019
Working with other Western Carolina University students was helpful in my experience. Supervising students can be difficult, finding a way to teach each student is a challenge and fun to me.
Pros
Interacting with intramural participants
Cons
the hours aren't long and can be inconvenient.
Learning Experience While Teaching Others
Honors Peer Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 28, 2019
When paired with the right faculty, this job is fun, demanding, but great for any students looking for a small side job with Western Carolina University. I had office hours, taught lectures, and worked alongside some of the best individuals at the university.
Watch your back
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2019
Professors run the show and some are outwardly hostile to students with disabilities. Some faculty members teach courses they are not qualified to teach. If you try to stand up for students, you face alienation from co-workers and management. The campus police department does a poor job handling sexual assault complaints.
Pros
Students are great...really enjoyed serving them.
Cons
Arrogant professors abound. Salaries are notoriously lower than most colleges in the state.
Flexible
STUDENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJanuary 14, 2019
The job was good fr those that needed to focus more on their studies but also desired some money to use in the off-campus stores and for any additional books needed for classes.
Pros
Flexible hours, independent work
Cons
Work when needed
GTA positions are great as a grad student
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 15, 2018
GTA positions are great if you are grad student and need a bit of extra cash. Faculty is flexible with your schedule. If you are in charge of teaching a class you have a lot of freedom to be creative with the what you do with it.
Work study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCOctober 30, 2018
I worked in the university bookstore. It was a work study situation. I could only work a few hours a day due to a rigorous course load. It wasn’t hard work, but needed work.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Campus tour guide
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCSeptember 26, 2018
I worked as a campus tour guide for Western Carolina University. Guides were given a minimum of two tour slots a week and had anywhere from 2-15 participants on the tour
Unhealthy work environmnet
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NC 28723August 16, 2018
I worked in five positions at WCU, both in administration and as a faculty member. My supervisors were abusive, unethical, and unqualified. I would not recommend working here.
Stressful and under paid
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 23, 2018
They take advantage of grad students and their passion for their research.
Some PhDs are great/good, but the abusive ones are horrendous.

Contracted for 20hr/week, regularly worked upward of 30-35.
Just needed administrative support
Head Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 18, 2018
When I took the job as Head Women's Basketball Coach at WCU, the program had only won 2 conference games in the previous 3 years. The program had never really been competitive going back to its inception. With half the scholarships of the other Southern Conference teams we competed with (Furman, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Marshall, East Tennessee State, Wofford, Davidson), we were able to compete and win conference games. I was frustrated at WCU because we were never on a level playing field with the other conference members. I also felt like I had reached the proverbial 'glass ceiling' being a male coaching female athlete, because at that time, the movement to hire female head coaches had begun. Coaching at a Division I school is challenging, tough, and stressful. It is a 'back-stabbing, 'what can you do for me today,' type atmosphere.
Pros
I loved every one of my players. We competed as under-dogs almost every game!
Cons
Pay, administrative support
Western
International Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJuly 16, 2018
Western is a home for everyone. The environment in Western give most people the energy to study and work to be successful. Western was the home for all the knowledge that I gain through the seven years of study and hard-working
very busy and demanding workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 19, 2018
Days at work for management were extremely busy and demanding. Guidelines for yearly targets get tougher to reach each year. You do get free food and there are chances for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate. It was enjoyable to get to work with a diverse staff of employees.
Pros
Free lunches and chances for advancement
Cons
Long hours and strict budgets
This review only pertains to a teaching assistant position
GNR - Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 4, 2018
The teaching assistants are paid fairly and are well involved in each class both with students and professors. I do not know what full-time benefits are for WCU but I know they exist.
Pros
Engaged learning
Cons
Flat rate pay
Good Job
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCJune 2, 2018
Easy job with flexible hours. Can be slightly boring at times, but the job is very easy. Nice staff and would recommend the job to any student on campus looking for a part-time job.
Great Place
Computer Support Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 22, 2018
Great experience. The atmosphere is amazing. They actually want you to succeed. They assist you in anyway they can. Training is an option and continues throughout working.
Pros
Experiences
Cons
N/a
I was a student here
Student (Former Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 16, 2018
This review is only about my time as a student. Sorry but I couldn't figure out how to skip this part.
It was a great place to be a student and learn. I was able to enjoy the outdoors without being bombarded by distractions.
Entourage (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMay 16, 2018
I have much experience in touring perspective families around the campus of Western Carolina. I have learned how to deal with many types of people. The workplace is a great environment.