Western Connecticut State University Employee Reviews

Na
Resident Conduct Director (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 18, 2017
1. Hours are flexible however be prepared to work on weekends and all hours of the evening
2. Professional development takes places outside of the office
3. Management has many area of growth
4.Work life balance is respected particularly for those that live on campus
5. Not being in control or possibly having a say in what buildings you oversee next academic year
6. The students are why I stay in this field
WCSU is a decent university
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTOctober 14, 2017
I loved teaching at WCSU. The faculty is good and the students included people of talent, creativity, and good work ethic. It was a deeply gratifying experience. And I love the subjects I taught.
productive
Desk Worker, Part Time (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTOctober 11, 2017
Met a lot of new people and had a fun time meeting the new freshman that came in. I would answer phones and help the freshman out with their hmwk if they needed it.
WCSU was a good place to work
Pre-Collegiate Tutor (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed working with the staff, students and the facilities provided. Getting a free lunch was a plus, too! I would have liked to work more hours, but it was nice having a large team to work with.
The Professors were great to work with
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 17, 2017
I worked in a lab during my time at western and it was fun informative and I had a great time. It was an Unpaid position, i worked for credit hours towards my degree.
Fun and Productive
Athletic Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTMay 13, 2017
It was fun to be able to watch a few of my school's sporting events and being able to work and help out the athletic department. My job was to be a spotter, making sure I get everyone who played in the game, and I brought the box scores to both teams after the games were finished.
A rewarding experience mainly because the wonderful student body
Journalism Professor (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 22, 2017
I came here expecting to teach one semester and I wound up staying for 30 years. I've taught nearly all of the writing courses offered and found each one challenging and rewarding at the same time.
Truly enjoyed working there.
Adjunct Professor of Photography (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 10, 2017
Keeps you on top of your game.
If I dare say so it was fun working there . Because one can do a lot of good there. Sure for some classes you get students that just want a good grade BUT then you get other students that really want to learn. Those are the fun ones for you can really help them.
Cons
The B&W chemicals get dust in them so I would filter them out for the students.
Great Place to learn and grow
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  DanburyMarch 29, 2017
My typical day involved writing press releases for the university. My assignments range from informative pieces to human interest pieces. My favorite part of the job is getting to know new people and learn about them and what they are most passionate about, which is also the most difficult part. Sometimes I have a deadline and don't have a lot of time to build a strong relationship with the people I am interviewing, so it is challenging to get them to open up sometimes. I have learned a lot about AP style and mostly about how to form relationships quickly and how to establish and maintain trust.
Pros
Flexible hours, great boss!
Cons
Can be repititive
Stable and challenging environment
Oracle DBA /Banner DBA/Unix Admin (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CT,USAMarch 23, 2017
The nice place to work, it was a start of Banner , so learnt everything about Banner on Oracle here , managed and maintain the systems from scratch. Nice and friendly environment
Distracting environment
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTMarch 1, 2017
as a freshman if you are unsure of what you would like to major in there are not very many people that will lead you in the right direction. Times may have changed but there was no guidance what so ever.
Residential Life is Heartfelt
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 26, 2017
I enjoyed meeting new faces and helping to guide young minds towards their greatest potential.Campus residential living situations are student's first experiences away from home and with roommates which can be challenging. It's encouraged for each student to learn healthy communication techniques and become involved in activities to enhance their growth and assist in transition from not living at home. As a Residence Hall Director there is a very thin line between work and personal life and finding that balance of separation without always feeling like you are working was challenging. I was able to notice weaknesses within myself so I could strengthen them and still be able to provide insight to my students.
Desk Worker
Desk Worker (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 22, 2016
Management was good and when needing workers when needed. Typical day was fairly simple and fun and learned to be timely in communication. Most enjoyable part of work its a easy job.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
Hours and communication from other workers
Hands on learning environment
lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTNovember 1, 2016
First time working with someone one on one and it was a great experience. I got to learn a lot from the professor that hired me and always pointed me in the right direction to learn things on my own.
productive work place
Admissions Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJune 5, 2016
good place to work while going to school. easy work. fun to be hands on and work with incoming students. friendly co-workers.
Great Work Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 23, 2016
The opportunities provided here are unlike any other. It is rare to find a university that lets its graduate students teach a class completely on their own. It is a wonderful experience, and the professors and other faculty that are there for guidance are helpful and are great supports.
Great
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTApril 11, 2016
Flexibility and stability hours are great. The work environment is great and welcoming. My Managers always help me questions I have about things in the office and clear my confusion. As well as interact with me respectively.
An inclusive, dedicated, and productive environment
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 22, 2016
The Campus and Student Center was an excellent first time work environment, each staff member was given plenty of opportunities and responsibilities to advance themselves. Management was always willing to listen to ideas and grievances and would often stop by during the day to check in on employees.
wonderful work environment
Adjunct Arabic Professor (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTOctober 15, 2015
It is a great workplace, I was honored to work with very well-known and smart professors. the school has amazing professors working at the language department. Each one of my colleagues has numerous publication and awards.
Cons
school operate on very low bydget
great experience and very cooperative stuff
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 5, 2015
My experience at westconn as a TA was amazing. I enjoyed working there. the only reason i left was because I transferred to University of Connecticut. otherwise I love teaching and student were very satisfied with my teaching.
Pros
on campus and flexible during exam week.