Western Digital Employee Reviews

Nice place to grow, but compensation only average
Principal Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 9, 2018
traditional engineer working culture,
mentors and tech leads are nice, peers are cooperative.
promotion is tough,
compensation is only average.
the company is switching to SSD, and traditional HDD sections have been through drastic changes
advanced my professional career
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great place to work.
Very satisfied.
advanced my professional career
Good workplace culture; best co-workers.
My direct director was very knowledgeable and supportive.
My contribution was great and noticeable to higher managers and my peers.
I left the company to advance my career.
IT was pleasure to work under this productive work Environment
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2018
I am currently working as a network security engineer in Western Digital, I deal with Firewalls, L2 and L3 security & troubleshooting, and successfully accomplished migration from legacy cisco ASA firewall to Palo Alto firewalls in Datacenters and in office locations.Apart from this at Western Digital, I also worked on configuring VPN tunnels between branch offices, Administering Load balancer's, Nexus switches, monitoring traffic etc.
it was a great place to work at, the employees were really positive and hardworking management was al little bit
Line operator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2018
When working at western digital I learned about the mobile hard drives that we use every day to help with the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, from the phones to computers. Western Digital makes these wafers that are the same size as a cd music disk but they're a little heavier due to the wiring and gold embedded inside. We would archive the data that was written on the boxes the wafers came in, inside a computer then send them off for another process. Hardest part of the job was the clean suit you would have to get used to while working the long hours. We worked 12 hours each day and 4 hours overtime. The most enjoyable part was getting paid a big check after working only four days and the positive and productive environment. The people there were great the management was strict due to the "Clean room" environment employees worked in, but that was to be expected overall pretty cool place.
Pros
eating in a cafeteria full of gourmet chefs and food, sometimes it was hard to finish before you had to go back
Cons
the place was huge if you had no transportation car or bike it would be a hassle getting around.
Summary
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 27, 2018
I felt good working for this company. I wasn't surprised with being let go for corporate downsizing. They had been making cuts for the past two years. I worked well with others there and I was sorry to be let go.
Pros
quarterly bonuses
Cons
expensive cafeteria
Electro-Mechanical Lead Technician V (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 16, 2018
Every workday at western digital was fun, everyday was fill with a different task and challenges to be address, management was great and comprehensive.
stay away from this company
Senior Linux System Administrator / HPC Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 5, 2018
Upper management is terrible. Constant layoffs.

Favoritism. Internal power struggles.

Work you to bone.

Poor work / life balance.

Never know where the cuts will come or where.
Pros
Free lunch every Tuesday
Cons
health care benefits, low salary
Not for people who want a social life
Technologist, Test Engineering (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJuly 4, 2018
Typical day at work will contain at least 1 meeting explaining why 100 new tests cannot be reliably correctly implemented in 2 days time.

hardest part of the job is explaining to people that there are procedures that must be followed for quality control and no matter how many times you tell certain people this they will always blame you for not meeting unrealistic deadlines.
Pros
Compensation, on-site gym
Cons
lack of work-life balance
If you look for an unstable place to work, Western Digital is the best place for you
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 29, 2018
Even with 20 years experience, you have no job stability.
Go there, but keep looking for open positions in other companies. Managers have no respect for employees
Great first job
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 28, 2018
Fresh out of college and I feel right at home. The company culture has been in flux due to the recent mergers but things are settling nicely. I love my manger, I enjoy my work, and I feel that the company really cares about my satisfaction.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses, unlimited PTO, e.t.c., e.t.c.
Cons
They spoil me
Tumultuous
Staff Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTJune 18, 2018
After many corporate acquisitions, the company is splintered. Especially in Customer Technical Support, 3-5 different systems of assisting customers and closing issues are still employed.
Productive company and professionally beneficial
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 31, 2018
Working for WD provided me the opportunity to learn and grow professionally with on-site business classes that were made available to their employees during work hours as well as years of experience. I took with me so much more knowledge then I came into the company with which has helped me to become a great asset . My daily tasks included administrative support for 10 different managers and their departments. The workplace culture all around was enjoyable and although at times, high stress....the team work was exceptional. Unfortunately, I decided to end my journey with WD and accept a job offer with another company. This new opportunity would allow me more time with family and less time commuting to and from work.
Pros
Incredible Compensation along with Benefits
Cons
Commute/High Stress
Good work environment, productive
Manufacturing Operator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 9, 2018
Nice place to work, a little unorganized work flow. Flexible work schedule a lot of time off since it is a compressed work schedule but the overtime is a lot if it is required
Holstile Work Environment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 30, 2018
Engineering Manager rarely gets through a meeting without losing control of his temperament and raising his voice to someone. I left a contract to hire position, not wanting to hire on to that kind of manager.
Some employees were nervous about getting their job outsourced.
Dynamic environment
Senior Manager of Business Marketing (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 9, 2018
Best part of the job was opportunity to learn and work with a dynamic team. Great leaders who drove shares from ~$30 to over $100 in a short time span. There has been a lot of changes since I left.
Excellent Company
Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 3, 2018
Management was very supportive about resolving CS issues to the benefit of the customer. That made resolving issues to some positive result possible every time.
Pros
Great people
Cons
I waqs isolated from main CS location
I like my job and enjoy it.
Cleanroom Tech (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95138March 30, 2018
A challenging career position as a technician where I contribute my skills to the company and my strong interpersonel. I like the work I do, from an ordinary worker become a trainer, not much work and I was laid off.
I work hard and enjoy my work
Pros
Free breakfast every Friday, camp and fun with team
Cons
Two hour work have 15 minutes break
Super and Exciting Very Educational Overall
coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 29, 2018
I loved being apart of Western Digital. It was my company and I love being there. Unfortunate circumstances the merger between Hitachi and the layoff caused my departure but I would I have stayed and grown with the company.
Great Place to Work
Sr. Change Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 16, 2018
I have worked for many companies and I find WDC an exceptional place to work they have leaders who are open to new ideas, a lot of smart, very experienced employees who are willing to share their ideas. I personally have one of the best bosses I have ever worked for
tech savvy and sea of knowledge
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAMarch 16, 2018
Coming to work on time is very important , showing the level of respect for your company and your fellow colleges. performing your job with the best intentions and quality that you can provide. learning from co-workers is an advantage. And should be two sided. As for management I think an open door policy and transparency is a key to successful and smooth relation ship between Management and employees. Family atmosphere because we all are humans and together and as team is much better for each one at the end. The hardest part of the job is the lack of communications. and being a part of the team and perform well is so enjoyable as being an effective part of the team.
Pros
learning and developing
Cons
very long hours and over night someties