Western Digital Employee Reviews

GREAT place to work
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 23, 2018
This was an awesome place to work. The benefits are top notch, the pay is good and the vibe in my particular group was great. The company was very flexible and open minded.
Pros
flexible
Cons
frequent layoffs
Stressfull working at WD
Technician V (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 19, 2018
Working at WD has been very stressfull, they do not have a clear plan to tackle the work. They do Layoffs every 6 months making workers lose confidence and have stress, because they don't know if they will get let go.
Not much
Device Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 14, 2018
Needs improvement. I don’t understand why they allow someone to sleep while at work. When someone complaints for harrassment I think they should do something right away and not just ignore it and even make people think twice that they shouldn’t complaint because nothing is going to happen anyways.
A Fun Ride
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 3, 2018
It was great while it lasted... 4 plants are closing in US and 1 in Asia in a short period of time. Further lay-offs were made without much attention. Unnecessary projects are eating up salaries of those that are working. Culture is good. People are great. Just depressing to see a colleague in the office one day and not the next. :(
Oppresive Culture - Stay Away
SDR, Tegile (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COSeptember 28, 2018
Hyper-focused on metrics and micromanagement. "boiler room" mentality. Serious Nepotism happening. Resistant to any and all positive culture changes. PTO is actively frowned upon and even told it will be denied if you arent hitting your number. Work/Life balance is a dirty word. Office is an outdated cave. Depressing place to work.
Pros
Not many, decent benefits, some good people.
Cons
Micromanagement, lack of culture
No Culture, no work-life balance
Sales Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COSeptember 28, 2018
Awful management, they love to micro manage, boiler room mentality, taking PTO is actively discouraged, often held hostage if you aren't making goals/quota. Almost no work form home option. No work-life balance. Management has hired family members and and doesn't hold them to the same standards others are expected to meet. Terrible office, in dire need of an update that corporate has NO interest in doing. Cant speak to the greater WD org, but the Tegile division is awful. Run away!
Pros
free lunches 2x a week, decent benefits, salary is OK, but not great.
Cons
Micromanaging bosses, nepotism, unfair treatment for some.
Reorg Planning
Web Marketing Content Design Author for Adobe (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 25, 2018
I was at Western Digital with high hopes for a long career however I started amidst a company re-org that dealt with re-org pains. Ultimately, my contract was over and due to the limbo status of the department re-org, I was not hired on (although my immediate boss rallied for me). I know Western Digital cares about all of its employees.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Bad timing
Contract Employee
Computer HDD Lab Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 14, 2018
I was a contract employee there for 4 plus years and never received an offer to be a direct hire. I enjoyed working on second shift which fit my schedule.
Just Okay, no stability
Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 10, 2018
Employees are seen as expendable. I survived multiple rounds of layoffs in the 3 years I was there, until I didn't... There is extensive use of contractors to make their bottom line look better and not have to pay full benefits.

Compensation is fair. If you provide enough value you're probably okay.
Pros
Good benefits, good compensation
The corporation itself is good
Document Control System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 5, 2018
But their Human Resources department are very unreliable. As well as their payroll department. My experience with some of the personnel was not very positive.
110% work
Senior Manager Media Analytical Lab (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 3, 2018
No work life balance from WD legacy side. Worth it for bonus, ESPP and LTI. Merging WD, Sandisk and Legacy IBM/HGST was painful every day at every level. It was like a start up at 70k people who had no clue on how to go forward.
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 29, 2018
It's a good place, with good leadership and changing world. I believe it can grow. We have good snacks and work-life balance there. World is changing and company as well
Old building, good people
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2018
Good people working in a rundown facility. The old IBM buildings built in the '50s. Job was fine while it lasted. Most of the people who work there are decent people.
Pros
Free lunch on Tuesday - Hit and miss
Cons
Rats running around above the office
Politics driven company
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 18, 2018
Lacks attention to innovation and performance. Clique core of employees requiring political assimilation and acceptance for long term employment or advancement.
Pros
Big company
Cons
Lacks foresight to thrive or survive industry
Very good working place
Test technician engineering (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAAugust 16, 2018
-Good team work
-Good leader
-Good working place
-High salary. Best benefit. Working time is very flexible
-Improve my skill. Company has a lot testers to work
great people, but overworked
Channel Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 14, 2018
people are doing their best, but are being stretched thin.

they are alot of meeting that take place. Most of these meetings you will sit through and realize they have no relation to you.
company is doing well and stable
Yield Engineer/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 13, 2018
Company overall is doing very well. It has good position in the storage business after the WD, HGST merge and the acquisition of SanDisk. It has a solid position in the HDD business, meanwhile also a significant presence in solid state storage. The Fremont wafer fab has been affected during the merge and acquisition periods: management has been changed frequently and only become stable recently. Work culture is results driven and emphasize on cost saving and lean manufacturing.
Pros
nice location, reasonable work/life balance, hardworking management
Cons
slow promotion, middle management not stable
Nice place to grow, but compensation only average
Principal Firmware Engineer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 9, 2018
traditional engineer working culture,
mentors and tech leads are nice, peers are cooperative.
promotion is tough,
compensation is only average.
the company is switching to SSD, and traditional HDD sections have been through drastic changes
advanced my professional career
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 1, 2018
Great place to work.
Very satisfied.
advanced my professional career
Good workplace culture; best co-workers.
My direct director was very knowledgeable and supportive.
My contribution was great and noticeable to higher managers and my peers.
I left the company to advance my career.
IT was pleasure to work under this productive work Environment
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2018
I am currently working as a network security engineer in Western Digital, I deal with Firewalls, L2 and L3 security & troubleshooting, and successfully accomplished migration from legacy cisco ASA firewall to Palo Alto firewalls in Datacenters and in office locations.Apart from this at Western Digital, I also worked on configuring VPN tunnels between branch offices, Administering Load balancer's, Nexus switches, monitoring traffic etc.