Western Express Employee Reviews

love driving for western
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 14, 2018
they put me in the best position to maximize miles and get the best paycheck possible. made it simple so that my main priority was driving. compared to other places this is the best
Pros
quick to help
Cons
high expectations
Overall a great company to work for.
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, CT terminal Northeast RegionalDecember 14, 2018
After working for several other trucking companies successfully for 1-3 years each, I’ve found Western to be about as pleasant an experience as OTR trucking could be. If anyone is willing to work hard and can tolerate the problems that sometimes arise in this line of work as well as being away from home for set periods of time, there is great money to be made if you maintain the right attitude.
Pros
Great pay, newer equipment, Operations Team is responsive to driver issues and gets them resolved in a timely manner.
Cons
None specific to Western
A lot of tips on being a productive truck driver.
Truck Driver Class A OTR (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 13, 2018
I'm allowed to be completely hands on with being a truck driver and how to maximize safety at a high level. Also I've learned how to be completely thorough in most if not all areas. Management is patient with me and the atmosphere has been conducive to being the best out there.
Pros
Free food and accessible staff
Cons
the orientation pay and hotel
peter green
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 12, 2018
this was a very easy process i like the way the information was given during the hiring process they will give any one a chance to start in this field they are very helpful
Pros
easy
Cons
no pay at the start of the job
Get your feet wet.
Freight Broker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 11, 2018
hire anyone that applies. Former coworker worked in worldwide sourcing, but was told he could only be a broker despite 3.5 years experience w/customer
Pros
Experience
Cons
Worst management
Do your job and smile
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 11, 2018
Overall I haven't had any bad experiences with Western Express, my fleetmanager takes care of business and is quick to respond when he's available. While first starting up alot of drivers complained about the company and how they handle their drivers, so far I havent had any big issue rather than not being reimbursed acouple of times but I've been here 4 months now and no other issues persist, .32cpm isn't what I was expecting I'd ever settle for as a truckdriver but when you've made mistakes and get a chance to redeem yourself take charge.
Pros
Consistent Loads
Cons
Pay
Bruce A Hughley
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 10, 2018
After arriving at the Western Express Pilot terminal for day 1 orientation the staff there was clear on assigning groups and handed out the weeks classes and training. Throughout the week in the classroom environment I was Shown the "Western Way" of operating as a Company Driver here which was easy to follow and understand. However on a scale of 1 to 10 class sizes were a personal issue, so i give it a 5. Securement training classes could be smaller for more instructor application and interaction with trainees which is very crucial in my book. However, the instructor was always very informative, interactive, and demonstrated competence and he always made sure the large class vocalized their questions and opinions I respected that. Lastly I couldn't understand the meals selection I personally felt like we should have been offered a more healthier menu after-all the company stood behind health and well being.
Pros
Class Instructor was Focused
Cons
meals and class sizes
Smoking mirrors
COMPANY OTR DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, CTDecember 8, 2018
Recruiters lie through their teeth just to get a body in a truck. They tell you exactly what you wan to hear, once you get there its nothing like they said it would be. Not paid for orientation, subway is your only meal other than the brown bag lunches they give out, equipment is horrible. Run AWAY!
Pros
travel...thats about it
Cons
lies, all lies
Dont do it
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Northeast usDecember 7, 2018
Leased on as a lease operator, got low miles every wk not even 2000 miles, it coast approximately 2300 a wk to lease a truck, unfair fuel surcharges, my last check I was negative 269 dollars, so yea dont lease on to western express u will regret it!
Pros
Cons
Short runs to the northeast
Poor pay big joke if you don't mind working for nothing just that bad.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, CADecember 7, 2018
Lousy Home terminal ect. Horrible staffing, timely phone waiting periods rude co workers pushing you to 100% for their own benefit. If you're homeless this is the best job for you.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor home time were not slaves, terrible pay you will just drive your life away.

Want to know more about Western Express?

Ask a question
Terrible place to be a truck driver !!!
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 7, 2018
Would not recommend this company to a dog !! They couldn’t care less about getting you home on time , never got home on the day I needed to be home. Aweful company - run away from them. !!!
Pros
Cons
Worst management ever !!!
Hard workers needed
Trainer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, CTDecember 7, 2018
This job can definitely advance you in a career for the trucking industry
It's no easy job, if you want to make good $, but if you just enjoy driving & want to get paid for that, they can keep you rolling as well.
Good weeks for me are 50-60 hrs in 5 days & I get (usually) a full weekend off ea week.
My driver manager is pretty laid back, so as long as I'm doing my job he's a happy boss & helps me get what I want for home time.
They have upped trainee pay, & are offering better pay now for regional drivers than a few years ago.
Pros
Entry level job for new drivers, better pay now, newer trucks
Cons
It is trucking so it's not easy on family
Workplace to Grow
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 7, 2018
My knowledge about the trucking industry continues to grow with Western Express. A wonderful company with core values. You don't have co workers at Western you have a family!
Pros
Fun Activities, Friendly Atmosphere, Awesome Co workers
Terrible
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 6, 2018
Where do I begin? .. recruiting lies.. faulty equipment.. old beat up trucks unless it’s a new international. Even teams get old raggedy trucks.. low miles.. get cheated out of your miles.. get stopped by dot for simply just driving ..dispatch never wants you to go home oh and wait being a team and still only making 300. A week. This place is a joke . Should have went with all the bad reviews and stayed away. But chose to give it benefit of a doubt. It’s other companies out here don’t waste your time ! Definitely not a company for those who want the miles! Quitting very soon!
Cons
It a good second chance company
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 4, 2018
It's a good second chance company good driver manager good miles the breakdown department can be better that's about it for the most part there a good company
December 5, 2018

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're always looking to improve in all areas. Please feel free to email us at marketing@westernexp.com with any suggestions.

Horrible company to drive for.
Flatbed OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2018
Terrible trucks, unpaid reimbursements, horrible driver managers, terrible pay scale, the list is endless as to why you should not work at this place.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
December 5, 2018

We're sorry to hear you're not having a good experience with us. Please email us at marketing@westernexp.com so we can follow up on your reimbursement and help make your time with us enjoyable.

Great Work Environment
Driver Manager/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2018
Great work environment i.e. friendly and fast-paced. On top of salary you get uncapped bonuses. You get out what you put into this job, so if you give 50% effort every day you will see that reflected on your pay compared to others who are putting in 100. Enjoy coming to work every day and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Pros
good money, incentives, holidays off
Cons
stressful at times
Great Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2018
Extremely great company. In working here sic years did years I've always had a respectful driver manager except once and they assigned me a new one. They doa great job at taking care of their drivers, Company respects their drivets,
Pros
Mutual Respect and Concern
Cons
All drivers aren't able to come to driver appreciation week
miles, good truck, good DM
Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 28, 2018
Western Express is a great company that provides me with an opportunity to run a lot of miles. My DM does a great job of getting me more miles than any previous company I have worked for. All of the trucks I have been in here at Western Express are newer. My current truck is a 2019 International and I love it. The recruiters/DM's have been honest with me from the start and my DM gets me home on time. I'm thinking about becoming a trainer here because they have a great training program.It gives me the ability to make even more money/miles and be involved with the new drivers that are coming to Western Express.
Pros
MIles, good management, nice trucks, money
November 29, 2018

We are so happy to hear this! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!!

Organization is much needed
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 26, 2018
Need more organized people. Manager needs to listen more.
Most people are very nice and helpful
Free pens are great
They keep me rolling , newer equipment is GREAT...
November 29, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! Thank you for keeping us moving!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Express. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

1.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight