Western Express Employee Reviews

2.6
Ratings breakdown
Waste of time
Lease Purchase Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 13, 2018
Another big company that makes all kinds of promises, but expects you to live in your truck for 600 a week bring home. Very poorly managed, and the trucks aren't very good either.
Lies & Distortion... A disgrace to the industry, no livable wages & rumors of "wage theft".
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2018
Western Express is another "bottom feeder" company. Yeah, they welcome folks who may have made mistakes or had mishaps in their past. But, who on earth is perfect? And what gives you the right to judge another person, label them when you can't even look in the mirror? So the "bait system" is in place to manipulate the vulnerable, desperate prior felons, etc. I wasn't there very long, because usually I can read between the lines very quick & get a feel for the culture. No money is worth losing your dignity, self-respect, common decency & humanity over. I'll rather live on the streets & find my own path. This is not to single out Western Express, it's just a disgrace when you see "everyday working people" in any industry being exploited & underpaid & overworked. And it's actually allowed by our so-called "elected officials". Then folks get agitated when tell them something they never heard. You shouldn't be running a business if you can't respect your workers or stay afloat.
Pros
Actually is somewhat diverse as it pertains to truck drivers, not sure about in office or higher up positions
Cons
Claims of "wage theft", flawed sliding scale, favoritism, underpaid workers
If you are serious about becoming a truck driver Western Express is the place to come to
Van driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville TennesseeAugust 8, 2018
Western Express is a good company to work for I just had a bad teammate since being away from Western I have family member that I have to tend to but when I do come back to the road they will be the first ones that I call yes they started me in truck driving and I enjoyed every moment of it I would recommend Western Express to anyone that really wanted to work and for those who want to complain you should stay away because there is work to be done if you want it!
Pros
Good trip planning allows you to see more of the world
Cons
Lots of time missed at home
worst job i ever had. once the kids took over they trashed the company.
CDL class A driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 7, 2018
OMg worst job i have ever had. treated us like meat. pay was even worse. Management constantly wanted you to run violation or not the turned you in to save his but from telling you to do it.
Pros
Cons
evrything
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 2, 2018
Great company to gain experience for any type of trucking you want to do. They pay great and treat you like a human being. Great driving managers and great trucks very up to date trucks
not a good place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 26, 2018
Will not return to work for western express again not worth it it costed me money out of my personal savings just to work there not enough money to be made
Not for me
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 19, 2018
As an independent contractor, Western Express did not meet the expectations that I was hoping to achieve as an IC. The low pay matched with the inconsistency of pay from week to week was not worth the long time away from my family.
Pros
You are by yourself on the road with no one over your shoulder
Cons
You are on the road not making enough money to pay your bills
Good place to start or looking for a 2nd chance
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 16, 2018
Benefits are ok, pay isn't great, but it's a good place to get experience. Hard to get a hold of the managers when using the Qualcomm isn't an option.
Pros
They're getting new equipment regularly (tractors and trailers)
Cons
A hassle to get you home
Stay away!
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 9, 2018
This company doesnt care about the ones who matter the most, the drivers. They refuse to give you home time when you've earned it, giving excuses on why you have to stay out another week. False promises, rude people from DMs and up the chain. Broke down in Atlanta for a week, ended up having to pay $420 out of pocket for a hotel room and still havent been reimbursed. I wouldnt recommend anyone, even those fresh out of CDL school to come here. They have 70 people a week come through orientation, whats that tell you? There are plenty of other companies out there. Nothing but a cesspool at Western Express.
Western could use some help
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 8, 2018
Mostly building products poor miles and there salery pay was garbage and there equipment was ruined and they didnt care about your home time or the maintenance wasnt keepted up properly
Pros
Cons
There pay
Work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 7, 2018
Western express not a good company to work for, my experience with western express was the worst experience I ever had the pay isn’t worth being away weeks of time. The management talk to you any kind of way, they’re very unprofessional.
Tractor Trailer Trainee
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37209July 2, 2018
Was a tractor trailer trainee, but the job did not really workout so I was compelled to leave relatively soon. One of the main issues was their worn out equipment.
Pros
Very little if any
Cons
n/a
Good starter company but very lacking in many ways.
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 2, 2018
This company is a good starter company for those without experience or someone who has made past mistakes and are looking to get their life back on track.

On the good side: Plenty of miles to drive, some Driver Managers really know what they are doing and they will keep you moving. For the time they are given, the trainers really try to do a good job.

On the bad: Low pay, too many drivers assigned to Driver Managers for proper support to be given when things go wrong, many people not trained properly due to rushed schedule, For the most part you are a number here and it is sink or swim...
this was once of the best jobs i had, they closed the aliquippa terminal and i got laid off
Fleet Manager/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAJune 30, 2018
i worked for them for quit some time and they shut the doors ay my terminal in aliquippa. i would have stayed there forever. i enjoyed my job and the people i worked with
Pros
work
Cons
they make bad decisions
Abandoning drivers on the road
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 29, 2018
To all who are thinking of them "caution" this company both endorses and practices and maintains
The abandoning drivers policy out on the road and telling them to find their own way home! Yes has with all trucking companies these days, they can disable the truck remotely, send you a message or tell you over the phone you are done a to clean out the truck and find your own way home!. You could be say 2500 miles from home.
Do not get into trucking
Pros
Cons
Very abusive company
Horrible mgt
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 24, 2018
Pay is lowest next to C.R. England.They top you off as much as possible.They lie there are no TV's in trucks.weekend dispatch is worthless hard to get load.Unless you are team or trainer tough to gross a thousand a week.Nice trucks.If they promise you bonus or money make them fax it over in writting,or it will be a lie.only good thing its good for students,and ex cons.Most trainers will treat you like trash,hardly train just want your miles top pay for van is .35 a mile.
Pros
Second chance and student friendly
Cons
Everythingbyou can think of.
I enjoyed the driver responsibilities and the open road.
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJune 20, 2018
Truck drivers are the unsung heroes of our economy. They live and work in a drug free culture where public safety is the number one concern of the day. They are required to operate their 80,000 pound tractor and trailer in a safe, responsible and courteous fashion. Drivers must adhere to strict hours of service limitations while still meeting their 450 mile per day quota. Drivers are not micro managed. They are responsible for getting their bills of lading into accounting in a timely manner or suffer the consequence of being short on pay day.

The hardest part of the job is not enough home time. A driver accrues one day of home time for every week on the road, and sometime company Driver Managers do not honor that agreement.

The most enjoyable part of the job is cruising the highways and byways of our country and backing up a 8 foot 6 into wide,53 foot trailer into a 10 foot wide space on the first try, and sharing experiences with other drivers in the driver's lounge.
Pros
Freedom of the road.
Cons
Not enough home time.
Great learning experience!
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 20, 2018
It's a very slow paced working position. With a degree of solitude. The Management does not answer as often. The hardest part of the job is getting used to the long hours and staying away from home for the long periods of time. They pair you up with great people to learn from.
Pros
pay, time away, traveling state to state
Cons
uncomfortable while on down time
Starter company
Driver (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 14, 2018
Not bad for starter company just too little time at home and time in work week you aren't paid for
Waiting on load brokedown etc
Equipment nice trucks but trailers have issues slot of times
Pros
Hire w no experience
Cons
Detention pay
Great place to pick up experience
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 14, 2018
It was my first company to work for as a Class A driver, flatbed division and didn't know what to expect. What I learned is how important it is to secure your load. Along with other important factors. When it comes to management there needs to be more of a communication involve, at times I felt left out. The hardest part of the job is tarping at times. Tarps weight about 80-90 lbs each. When is your home time you have to be under a load to deliver on Monday Morning. I didn't like that part but that is company policy. What I enjoy about Western Express is hauling a variety of equipment that other company doesn't have. Ex: Aluminum,Flat Steel, Lumber, to name a few.
Pros
Drive across Multiple States
Cons
Home-time and pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

1.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight