Western Express
54Below average

Western Express Employee Reviews

United States1,760 reviews
Found 1,760 reviews matching the search
Good starter company and second chance company! Would recommend for anyone coming out of trucking school. You can get good experience and then take that somewhere else.
Pros
Good miles
Cons
Home time
I came right out of CDL School and drove for this Company. It was cool from the beginning being a novice and the equipment didn't break down on us. But things change rapidly with my manager so we had to move on.
Pros
They'll give you a chance
Cons
Pay
I learned a lot! Great experience, I really liked everyone that i worked with and all of my managers were great! its such a great place to work! I will always remember it
This is a second chance company so do not be surprised if you come here and they treat you like dirt .
The pay is not great so the best thing for you to do is get experience and LEAVE. This is a fair warning.
this is my first company i worked for driving truck. i can not complain. they treat me well. I stay busy and get good money for it. I feel like as long as you do what needs to be done you will be okay working here.
Pros
management, benefits, pay packages
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I can only speak from my experience during orientation. Don't go come here unless this is your only option. If your recruiter will tell you everything that you want to hear just to get you to orientation and then turn around and take everything back and say that there is an employment agreement that's 1 year long and $2500
Pros
Free food
Cons
Everything else
Terrible driver managers, poor communication of expectations, and frankly threatening behavior. Their DM center reminded me of a bunch of entitled frat boys. Bad equipment (literally the brakes on the tractor) with a refusal to repair or replace.

Don't waste your time.
Pros
None, really.
Cons
Completely unprofessional.
They do not care about the driver, they only care about the load. They do not pay according to what they advertise. They lie a lot! Detention pay is something that you will never see as a driver for Western.
This company is the Foulest. Need to be Put out of Service. They lie, steal and are very disrespectful. I learned that you cant put up to long working with dishonest rude people. The only good thing is you get to travel and see this country. At least 11 states, HaHaHa
Pros
Hire anybody
Cons
Disrespectfully stealing peoples time etc....
This Company is only meant for the 6 mos experience. That's it!!! It is definitely not a Company to call ur own. They do not respect u as a person not matter how many miles u run. The pay is frightening. Get ur 6 mos. experience and ge to a real Company.
Pros
Initial start.
Cons
Too many to list.
Flat bed low pay did 5 loads one week at .34cpm i was promised .40 with 3mths experience just to get me in the door. low mileage loads to much time spent securing unsecuring load out in the snow or drizzle was wanted to stay out more than 2 weeks 3 to 4 is to much.Its OTR but there is much family time needed also.
Pros
Experience but experience can be gained anywhere.
Cons
low pay to much time out to much work for pay.
1800 miles a week average. Pay per mile based on experience in flatbed. Miles can be better sometimes. Almost no loads on the weekends and only 35$ layover pay but you have to ask for it. Breakdown pay 70$ and Tarp 25$ total. Hard get home where I live. Home time is discouraged by the company they try to get you to agree to not stay home the full amount. Good place to start a career wont stay to long.
Pros
Start
Cons
Pay
June 29, 2020
We are sorry you did not have a good experience with us. We would like more information on what went wrong so we can correct it in the future. Feel free to reach out to us directly at marketing@westernexp.com and we will work on correcting any issues you had.
Western wants you to have nice new trucks but they don't want you to get too comfortable in them. They do not install inverters saying it burns up the battery, but really they don't want drivers stealing them when they leave the truck on the side of the road. As far as the inverter, if I own my inverter why won't Western install it? It helps save money by having appliances to cook & refrigerate food.
Pros
No one really bothers you on the job.
Cons
You're not respected by management.
June 29, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are sorry your experience with us was negative. Feel free to reach out to us at marketing@westernexp.com and we will work on correcting any issues you had.
I worked in the office for 5 plus years at Western Express. If you are in the clique, then you are fine and stand a chance to make a decent living there. If you are like me, and are more focused on your job instead of making friends, then you will never hold a manager spot for the company. Getting a good pay raise there is impossible outside of getting a promotion.
Pros
Access to a gym.
Cons
The managers.
June 29, 2020
We are sorry you had a negative experience with us. We would like more information on what went wrong so we can correct it in the future. Don't hesitate to reach out to us at marketing@westernexp.com and we will work on correcting any issues you had.
I have been here almost a year. Good company to start with. They keep you busy with loads. Sometimes you might be waiting a couple hours to get one if you don't already have a preplan. But overall not a bad company to work for.
Pros
Regional drivers home on Friday or Saturdays. Newer trucks
Cons
Odds are you will get a trailer every other time that needs to be worked on before you roll
You get paid less for tarping then other companies. A lot of the places that pre tarp if you look, TMC and P&S they're loads are always tarped better, loads look loaded neater and their drivers are in and out. My DM is pretty good he keeps me running and has educated me on things that weren't true such as being home every friday night for full weekend that was my understanding from recruiter.
Pros
They'll take and train anyone so you can get experience thats needed in the industry, Some people get new to newer trucks, Show up don't be lazy and you'll get paid, the work is there, my DM now that he's been bringing me up to speed, as I mentioned educating and keeping me running
Cons
they don't seem to care about retention, Trucks don't have fridges or anything, If its hot and your stuck waiting, you can't idle truck for ac, you'll be on high idle report, a lot of people give attitude when you call, have no common courtesy, company knows come Monday a whole new batch of drivers, If you need repairs be prepared to take a hit on pay, Shops are behind
The runs can be consistent as a solo driver but the pay is too low.when they set you up for home time you normally driving home on your home time and you only have a day at home.
Pros
Some trucks don't have idle set up that's about it
Cons
Pay his extremely low for a 2500 mile run. 0.26cpm
June 29, 2020
I've been working for Western Express for about nine months I became a trainer at 6 months the pay is pretty good if you have miles and and the dm help you if you need help not only your dmbut all the other ones too they give you home time when you ask and they keep you moving most of the time
Western Express is the worst company to work for. You dont get the time off like they tell you and you get as little as .25 per mile. They will black ball you and tell any company that try's to hire you that you are under contract. However, they never get you to sign a contract. They just say this so you have to go back and work for them. They are like slave masters. Very sexist and racist company to work for
Pros
No good side to them
Cons
Less pay then what they tell you, if you're a woman, they will listen to your conversations, watch you on a camera, They harrasse women and set it up like it's company policy.
Completely screw over everyone who works for them, Majority of the drivers are homeless or addict's, Orientation to long, housed with dope fiends SMH,
Pros
None at all 😒
Cons
Extremely low pay for solo and team drivers, Gotta be a trainer to make money, I left after exactly three months, Now I make more than any of there drivers 84k yearly in-state
This company has been good to me. While driving solo I mad ok money but once I started to train that is when I started to get a lot of miles and great pay.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Express. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
1.9
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
1.8Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight