Western Governors University Employee Reviews

Adjunct clinical faculty
Adjunct Clinical Faculty (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 26, 2018
Non paid position. Clinical faculty for new nursing students. Happy to mentor nursing population. Not always support available when questions arise during working hours
Pros
Mentoring
Cons
Difficult computer system
Great!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2018
The position is secure and stable. Jobs like this are good for people who are self-starters and enjoy working remotely. The pay is decent for the position.
Great place to start your Education Career
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2018
I loved my co-workers at WGU, but the pay and advancement were not great at all. My first manager has been with the company for a long time, but she was complacent in her job and didn't know how to manage.
Used to be good
Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  UtahJuly 10, 2018
I worked at WGU for 8+ years. In that time, I worked very hard on lots of extra projects in an effort to get promoted. The result? I was told by my senior manager to "slow down" and "stay in my lane". There are very few opportunities for advancement and they do not promote much from within. Management does not want your feedback. They say they do but they really don't. Just keep your mouth shut, keep your head down, and do the minimum. The new CEO pretends to have a heart but all he cares about is his own legacy.
Pros
Working from home is nice.
Cons
low pay, no advancement, mean managers, chaotic environment, poor management
Great organization
Clinical Coach (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 8, 2018
The university works well with other hospitals to ensure that clinical coaches are only coaching on days they are scheduled to work. This decreases the stress related to limitation of time.
Pros
You work during your normal scheduled hours
Cons
You do not get paid extra its is just the salary provided by the hospital you work for.
Awesome people!
Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 27, 2018
WGU is a fantastic place to work! The job is very flexible and I get to work from home, which is fantastic! My team and manager are easy to work with and we meet twice a year at various locations (i.e. Salt Lake City, UT or Disney World in Orlando, FL).
Wgu
Student Mentor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 21, 2018
WGU is a great place to work. I Loved my students and I loved my team and co-workers. I have nothing bad to say about them. I appreciate the experience.
fun place except no meaningful professional growth and development.
Test Development Expert (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 15, 2018
Good place to start but very little growth. Promotion and advancement based on friendship favoritism, and small group memberships and loyalties.Managers frequently absent and hands off. very little training on skills and development plans for employees.
Pros
free breakfast and timeoffs
Cons
poor access to software and work tools. managers frequently absent and hands off.
Great co-workers
Student Mentor, Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTJune 10, 2018
Met with assigned students achieve their goal of obtaining they BSN to MSN,
Lot's of student communication
Student Advocate
Weekly meetings and updates
Hardest part of job- daily changes with classes
Enjoyable part of job- when students graduate
Pros
work from home
Cons
heavy student case loads
Stressful
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 8, 2018
Performance was based only on how many students you could get to finish classes on time. No other quality measure mattered if you couldn't force students into completing their work by calling them weekly. Needed to be "on call" for student needs 24/7
Pros
Academic meetings twice a year
Cons
No work life balance

Want to know more about Western Governors University?

Ask a question
Mentorship
Program Mentor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 5, 2018
WGU is a new approach to education which is a great concept. However, a relationship with students feels moreso like a sales position versus a mentorship relationship. Your score is based on the outcome of your students. If your students do not complete term goals it reflects poorly on the employee.
Great place to see the results of your work
Course Instructor II- IT Business (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2018
This is a great place to work because of the benefits offered and the ability to work from home. You are able to see the results of your assistance to students in realizing their goals and dreams. My last manager was outstanding. Opportunities are numerous and advancement is available without having to be a manager.
Pros
Work at home + benefits
Don't even apply
Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 3, 2018
Horribly run company. The amount of workplace incivility is incredible for a remote job. It is the opposite of everything we should be striving for as a society. They only promote people who lack the critical thinking skills to realize what's going on. All good, ethical educators leave. Save yourself the stress; don't even apply.
Stay away and protect your character, they will attack you for being morally bound.
Program Mentor (Former Employee) –  Work from homeJune 2, 2018
Racist and very cut throat, will try to make you break policy to get results and then tell you not to tell anyone who asked they told you. When you refuse they retaliate and state you do not pay as a team player. Recently sued by DOE and told to hide important info when questioned.
Pros
work from home
Cons
unwritten under the table processes
Again
Student Mentor - Graduate Nursing Program (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 1, 2018
I do not want to disclose anything so I will just write and write until I don't have to write any more because they are making me - this is ridiculous
Overall a great place to work
MANAGER, PROGRAM FACULTY (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 30, 2018
I really do like WGU and it is a great place to work. With my role, though, my work can be kind of boring and there is not currently opportunity to move around at my level (though I know they are working on creating more opportunities and realize this is a shortcoming). The people are great and higher leadership do care, they listen, and will make right changes within reason. Pay is okay but benefits are fantastic!
Pros
Benefits, working from home, work environment
Cons
currently not a lot of movement within the company options
Professional place to work
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDMay 29, 2018
Western Governor's University was a good place to work. I was a clinical supervisor for student teachers. They treated me professionally. They took my feedback about the candidate seriously.
Great part time place to work
Simulation Lab Instructor Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2018
As a Nursing instructor it is a great part time job. The students are great and eager to learn. It is amazing when you see the light bulb come on and they understand the concepts.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Program Mentor - College of Health Professions (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 23, 2018
Western Governors University is a wonderful place to work. They are incredibly generous to their employees and promote a positive culture in which to work.
Average company culture
Sr. Statistician / SAS BI Developer (Former Employee) –  SLCMay 22, 2018
Company poorly utilizes technological advances. Poor management performance and relations with employee. Very low Employee retention. Would not recommend for consideration..
Pros
Provides high education to working adults
Cons
Pour management culture