WESTERN HEIGHTS PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK

If you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed.
Former Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 29, 2019
This school district is a dumping grounds of sorts. You get all the bad kids thrown together and only a few are worth teaching. Most are so ignorant they don't realize how poorly equipped they are. They read several grades below their school grade, and can't put two sentences together to save their lives. The students are apt to cuss a teacher rather than do the work. The administration rarely disciplines properly and allows students to bring food, chips, drinks, pot, and other things into the school in their backpacks. The teachers try to stop most of the mess going on, but there's just no way to stop 200+ kids at the 9th-grade center where the two principals are either at each other's throats constantly or not even in the building. The school is a farce. It's a joke and no one should allow their kids to attend it. The teachers walk out year after year. They hired two pedophiles in the 9th-grade center and didn't check backgrounds or social media before hiring them. It's just been the biggest joke. Students can't pass simple tests but if the teachers don't pass the athletes the coaches get fired. If you have a choice, and you do, don't let your kid go to Western Heights.
Pros
Free lunch, free breakfast, free supplies since kids never bring their own.
Cons
They can't hire substitutes to cover classes, teachers can't discipline, admin won't discipline
Great place to work if you can afford the salary loss in your home.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 27, 2019
I work with children and staff of all races, I'm flexible I might have to sub at a moment notice. I love kids and my staff, working for school has improved my computer skills to a all time high. I am so thankful. I work with so my good teachers that have a true passionate for they profession. I also have helped with Implementation of SAFETY program. It promotes ready to higher levels.
Pros
Close to my house, motivating staff.
Cons
Sad teachers and support staff are under paid in Oklahoma
Employees are cutthroat
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 12, 2018
Some of the employees at the bus barn were cutthroat and would try and get someone into trouble far anything. Plus the administration forced our transportation director to quit, causing thigs to get out of control.
Western Heights is a challenging place to work due to the culture of the communities we serve.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 17, 2018
I worked with some amazing administrators and teachers while at WHPS.
A person going to work for Western Heights would need to have an understanding of the cultural norms of the community that they are about to serve as well as a "toolbox" of ideas on how to deal with the children raised within these norms.
It is quite a place!
Color Guard Director (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 6, 2018
Because its in the middle of warehouses, it doesnt seem like it, but if we are being real, its still an inner city school. You need to be a strong person to be here. Know how to handle the lives these kids are having to live. Once you get through to the kids, they are some wonderful people to know
great place to work
Middle School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 25, 2017
I have to admit I would not have left had they considered me for advancement. I guess I had to leave to appreciate what I had. The environment is one of family and very supportive.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
it's in the state of OK so the pay is low, not their fault
School is failing.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 22, 2017
Loved working with the kids, they are the heart of the school. However the culture of the school is "enabling". The only discipline is towards the teachers. Beware.
Always needing Substitutes
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 29, 2015
Western Heights Public Schools are always needing extra substitutes during the school year. You are most likely guaranteed work everyday. I don't have to drive far since my children go to school in this district. I have gained a lot of experience from being a long term substitute for a first grade class for over two months. My co-workers are very nice and I love the staff at all of the elementary schools. The pay is not great at all, and no benefits. The reason why I decided to substitute teach s because the hours worked well with my children's school schedule.
Pros
hours worked well with children's schedule, not far drive
Cons
not god pay, no benefits
Working at WHPS was a challenge
7th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 28, 2014
My job as a Language Arts teacher was very challenging. In my first year there, there was new leadership put in place in the middle of the year. This created a change in expectations and culture of the middle school. There was also a culture of mistrust between the new leadership and teachers. There was a feeling that I, along with my fellow co-workers, were not appreciated as teachers from the new leadership and the support staff.
Pros
Co-workers were nice people.
Cons
Lack of support from administration