Western Illinois University Employee Reviews

Great people to work with, management was always willing to help
Student (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILApril 20, 2019
The professors were always willing answer any questions we had because they wanted us to learn. Even students not in the classes working the sporting events were allowed to come by to help the younger group. It was always an open and accepting environment. It is a special environment because you may not get an experience like this at other universities.
Pros
Great staff, workload as manageable, worth my time.
Cons
School isn't doing well financially
Hardworking employees that work well together.
Office Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 28, 2019
As the office support associate for this department, I handled phone calls regarding students and scheduling for advising appointments. I helped with filing, scanning, preparing letters along with other clerical duties for a faculty and staff of 24 persons. I prepared Direct Payment Authorization (DPA) documents and Reimbursements. I also worked closely with ordering materials for the department. As of the beginning of January 2019, I also took on the task of becoming Secretary of the Chair.

Coworkers got along well usually, very low amounts of strife between individuals if any at all.
productive
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 7, 2019
productive and informative.
one can improve communication and technical skills at appropriate age.
has better opportunities for later jobs.
good work environment
Poor Management
Cultural Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 6, 2019
WIU is not well managed fiscally nor is the state of Illinois. Marketing and recruitment for the University is minimal at best. For many decades they have been riding of past accomplishments and relying on the State to fund the University's operations. Unfortunately the State of Illinois has been mismanaged for many decades.
Good work environment
Microsoft Server, Desktop, and Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 28, 2019
Good work environment
Management needs to step up their game.
People are friendly and good to work with.
A little behind the time with their technology implementations. State budget hampers that.
Nice place to work
Professor (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILFebruary 20, 2019
Its a nice collegial environment. Very large amount of autonomy. Everyone is friendly and for the most part very efficient. University is having some enrollment issues currently.
Pros
nice collegial environment
Cons
budget issues
Very nice professors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 26, 2019
Western Illinois is an above-average public university located in Macomb, Illinois. It is a mid-size institution with an enrollment of 7,482 undergraduate students. Admissions is fairly competitive as the Western Illinois acceptance rate is 59%. Popular majors include Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration, Liberal Arts and Humanities, and Communications. Graduating 53% of students, Western Illinois alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $33,400.
fun workplace
Technical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 21, 2019
it was a good workplace when I stayed there and I make a lot of friends at the job and the manager was so decent and nice with me I love that kind of job that I did and I'm very satisfied with it
Pros
free lunch from time to time
Cons
short breaks
Good Biology Department
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 12, 2019
Classes were alright and faculty were very supportive of my research. However, most classes were focused on microbiology and were not as applicable to my macrobiology research.
Pros
Good graduate program
Cons
Small school
As an RA we did not have much student representation
Fungal Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 9, 2019
I was a student while being an RA, but that was not considered when we were meet with the Dorm goals and initiatives of the school. You are not seen as a student with academic goals but as a school representative. That can be difficult to maintain under poor management.
Pros
Work where you go to school, the ability to build a strong community.
Cons
Work does not seem to end because you become know for the job even when in class.
workplace culture
Office Manager - Department of Psychology (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 7, 2019
The culture at Western is family oriented and very friendly and outgoing. Very collaborative. Great place to work!
People are great to work with/for.
Part tIme
Teaching assistant (Construction Management ) (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 3, 2019
it was a part-time job but I liked it
the environment so lovely and very relax
paid very less
it was better than nothing
i hope I can get permanent job there would be better
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILDecember 16, 2018
On a typical day at work, assisting staff with checking into or out of their conference room. Assisting students with packaging and equipment check out.
Pros
Having time to do homework
Cons
Reorganizing equipment
Fun place to work with staff and students
Secretary Business Office (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILNovember 7, 2018
It was an honor to work with staff and students and learn the different things that were needed to meet their needs.
I learned a lot about working with the college population
Best Ever
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR TELEVISION (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILOctober 31, 2018
One of the finest Higher Education community in the State of Illinois. I worked for WIU for 18 years, my experiences there are priceless and I was proud to be a part of the institution.
sodexo catering
Manager (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILOctober 24, 2018
Working for Sodexo was definitely a good experience, although there were frequent long nights. I would recommend it to a student because they are very flexible with your schedule.
Grad Student TA
Graduate Student Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILOctober 15, 2018
The life of a grad student needs both quality faculty, a good culture, as well as fair and supportive supervisors. All of this I had and more at Western Illinois University.
Great job for breaking into something new
TEACHING SUPPORT ASSISTANT/WRITING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILOctober 5, 2018
I liked this job as I got used to it. I was very nervous because I do not exactly have the greatest communication skills although I did my best to fulfill job expectations. It was a fairly relaxed environment and most everyone was easy to get along with.

For the job I had, if someone is interested I would suggest practicing communication skills and interacting with people they might not know very well.
Cons
minimal hours a week.
Great work environment/fleaible
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILSeptember 30, 2018
love the atmosphere. Great if it was a permanent position. I love the job and learning new technologies was exiting. The job was challenging and attention i liked the versatility.
RA life at WIU
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILSeptember 26, 2018
If you have the option to be an RA at WIU do it. You can make massive changes in peoples lives, however it costs a lot of time and energy. The benefits do not outweigh the compensations. The total pay per hour is technically close to near $4 an hour for scheduled time of work.
Pros
Life changing events and friendships
Cons
Very difficult to manage time