Western Kentucky University

Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

United States214 reviews
Routine workplace with limited opportunity for creative perfprmance.
My work here is very much standardized. This includes teaching, research, and university service. Work here is practically stress free, but things are not changing. The university is maintaining status quo.
A typical day at work: Teach three courses and go home. If there is a meeting, you are supposed to participate in it.

What you learned: Do not make waves.

Management: Theory X authoritarian management.

Workplace culture: Uncreative and anti-learning culture.

The hardest part of the job: Maintaining relationships with students and faculty.

The most enjoyable part of the job: You have the freedom to design your teaching. Also you can interact with people you like.
Overall, it is an excellent university--better than most non-flagship universities.
There were many wonderful moments and great faculty in our department. Upper administration was very helpful but the local administration was erratic.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great town
Cons
parking, compensation
Love what I do
I really enjoyed the experience of working at a large university. I was second in command there and my Boss and the team were all amazing! The students are the best part of the job! Modeling and shape young minds to be the future leaders of tomorrow’s Army.
Department chair was awesome!
MSW program was new at the time. Much revision has occurred and reflects a lot of critical thinking and dedication on the part of administration and staff.
university research assistant
doing research with my classmates and my professor. It was relax and fun, we helped each other and always learning something. The whole working environment was pure and relax.
Pros
I was a graduated students, doing research with paid.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Good
This is not a representation as Western Kentucky University as a whole. I work in the American Sign Language Lab as a lab worker. The pay is good given the amount and type of work done.
Great College
Western Kentucky University is a great mid-size public university, with a strong focus on undergraduate research. WKU offers many opportunities to start a career in many different disciplines.
Fun
It's a good school. It's in Bowling Green, Kentucky, which is a nice and welcoming city. There is a lot to do on and off-campus. They have great programs.
A great place to coach football
The stadium is great, the grounds were kept well, the offices included the best technology for film study, and I enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere in Bowling Green.
Graduate Assistant
As a graduate assistant, I helped professors with tasks, grading, and research. I am able to learn more about data collection, statistical programs such as SPSS and excel, time management, and public speaking. The culture is driven towards learning and obtaining goals and it has benefited me to achieve more. The hardest part is juggling my school life, personal life, and work life, but that is more of the program's workload rather than the job's itself. I enjoy learning new things that can apply to my future work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western Kentucky University?
Good starter for job hunting
Wide range of opportunities with clear objectives that will always have something to teach you. The people are supportive and willing to help you with whatever you need.
Innovative company
WKU is a company that aims at creating new things through research, members are given enough support to learn, develop and create. The members work as family and help each other to grow.
Very convenient
It is nice to work on campus since I don't have a car. My employers were also understanding of me being a student. Which made scheduling super easy. I love it!
Great Environment
Great atmosphere to work
Flexible hours

Great benefits

Ability to attend training to better the knowledge to complete your job

Education opportunities
Amazing Women Workplace Environment
While working as a social media intern, I creatively and effectively connected with followers and notified students about office events. Additionally, I actively inform followers of local job openings and career tips while continuously engage our followers during job fair events.
Do not work in Family & Consumer Sciences
I worked in the interior design dept this was my first job in academia it was not the best experience the sept head had her favorites, the people in my dept were not collaborative and when other students started to like a professor other than the chair of our dept she would talk bad about that professor and get the dept head to fire them I saw it happen to another professor and then to me Highly unprofessional!
Yearly budget cuts create atmosphere of uncertainty
WKU is not in a good place currently. Positions are left vacant, which increases everyone's workload passed what is reasonable. Cultural "vision" for employees at WKU doesn't match what is actually occurring and what it takes to get the job done.

Do more with less sums it all up.
A great place to work.
If you're looking to get started with a career in academia, thisnis the place to do it. With budget issues and questionable leadership at the top, don't count too much on a lot of advancement.
worked with students and other Departments very knowledgeable
nice place to work and to build work relationships.
my day starts with checking the work calendar and trouble tickets, the tickets tells me where and when, I will be at that day, prepare equipment and supplies need for the job.
Library review
I loved this job. It was delicate to my routine and schedule with school. An easy job to learn. This is an opportunity I would recommend to anyone doing a work study.
Ok job
Terrible management, too much drama and gossip. If you dont agree if old fashion ideals, then stay quite. Decent pay, good schedule, but too many people on a power trip.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Kentucky University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
4.3
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight