Western Kentucky University Employee Reviews

College/ Job after Class
Strength and Conditioning Coach - Men's Rugby Team (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 29, 2019
I took it upon myself to start a strength training program with the rugby program at Western Kentucky University. I worked with the Men and Women's programs, and also coached each team throughout the years.
It's Academia Good Luck
faculty member, language arts (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 18, 2019
Day usually begins around 6:00 a.m. pre-class runs through classes the rest of the day with a mid-day break for lunch that you won't eat.

Night time is either meetings, reviews or grading, lesson work.

Usually done about 11pm to 1am, back to the grind
Pros
Teaching!
Cons
Forget being treated like a professional
It was a good place to work
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 16, 2019
I did research for two years. I was not paid the whole time, but I gained a lot of experience. It really depends on who you do research for. I worked in the chem department.
Instructor work good if you can get it.
full-time Instructor of Communication (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 21, 2018
They are cutting back on these type of jobs due to low demand but coming in, teaching and leaving was actually the best of what academia has to offer if you like students.
College based
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 18, 2019
Easy part time position for college student housing was included. Hardest part was being on call 24 hours on long nights, typical drinking nights and typical co living headaches
Pros
Housing
Cons
On call 24 hours 3x week
Stressful but fulfilling position
Peer Intrusive Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 17, 2019
A typical day involves interacting with students that need assistance in getting in good standing academically with the university. You get to work with all walks of life and hear their stories. This job makes you feel as though you've made a difference at the end of each day.
Loved working at WKU
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 17, 2019
I enjoyed working for WKU very much. The management was wonderful along with the hours, tasks, and communications. It was not a stressful environment. I was able to work at my pace and never felt put-down. When there was an issue, they communicated it to me well, and I was able to adjust myself accordingly. I learned cleaning skills and good communication skills. I enjoyed meeting new students and staff.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
They had a limit as to how long I could work there
Job Work/Life Balance is great
Academic Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 20, 2018
WKU values family and personal time. You get plenty of breaks and time off. Two weeks at Christmas typically and reduced summer hours makes it an ideal place to work especially if you have a family.
Good Part Time Teaching Assignment
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 3, 2019
I felt like I was appreciated and supported as a part time instructor at Western. Class sizes can be large and so the pay for each class I felt like at times was not enough to compensate for the hours spent.
Pros
Admin
Cons
Pay per student
Great colleagues
Literacy Faculty (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYDecember 6, 2018
My typical day at work includes teaching classes, grading papers, and helping students in my office. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students rise to the challenges that I have set for them, their confidence is elevated, and what they learned in class is transferrable to other situations they encounter in college and in life.
Great place to influence students
Adjunct Faculty - Political Science Department (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, KYOctober 12, 2018
A lot of fund teaching but budget cuts and declining enrollment makes it difficult to be an adjunct facility member. The school itself is beautiful and the Glasgow campus very convenient (great parking compared to the main campus).

Helping students develop intellectually is one of the best jobs ever.
Student Worker
STUDENT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYNovember 26, 2018
Being a student worker is great while in college. While you rarely make more than minimum wage, you have so much free time to do homework. It also looks great on resume and recommendation letters.
Not a good fit for academic or industry career
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYOctober 29, 2018
Laid back environment but bad for salary and the career planning. Nice and welcoming environment. Small size institution. Work hours are flexible. No diversity in research.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Not good for salty and career preparation
More student instructor focused
Personal Trainer / Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 13, 2018
As I love working for the University, they are more focused on having students as instructors and trainer than long term instructors and trainers. I have not looked into benefits for other colleges, WKU does not offer the degree I want to continue with.
Good Place to Work
Part-time English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 24, 2018
WKU is a good place to work. I was only part-time, so I didn't have benefits. I worked off site and got at least one class each semester. They were accommodating. Unfortunately, without a doctoral degree it is unlikely to get full-time.
Pros
flexibility, good management
Cons
lack of insurance
Great Place to Work and Learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KY 42101September 21, 2018
Great place to work and grow. Lots of opportunities to advance. Gym on site and classes are offered free to employees and family members. Beautiful campus and wonderful co-workers.
Pros
Great benefits, wonderful location, and atmosphere, professional workplace.
Cons
None noted
A productive and learning place.
Instructor of Spanish (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 17, 2018
Excellent place to work. Working with the youth has been an incredible experience. The work environment is gradable and you live with respect.

A place where you can share your knowledge and skills. Every day you learn something new and interesting.

You get a lot of support from the administration and that makes you feel at home.Your work colleagues are very nice.
Na
Assistant Coach - Track & Field and Cross (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 14, 2018
Western Kentucky is a hard place to work for, a tough town to live in, and the administration is having a hard time right now, as is the entire state of Kentucky.
Great environment
Facilities and Event Operations Intern - Athletics (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYAugust 1, 2018
• Assisted with the planning and organizing of the facility for home athletic events.
• Assisted in managing logistics such as maintenance projects, scoreboard operations, crowd control,
vendors, official’s liaison, and parking/transportation.
Exciting and Educational
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 31, 2018
I learned a lot during my two years and a half at Western Kentucky University as a math graduate. I found out teaching was surprisingly more fun and exciting than I had thought before.The teaching and the interaction with different students taught me to see things from different perspectives and that it is a great joy to be able to help others improve their skill and overcome challenges.
Pros
hanging out with other math graduates, great instructors, meeting with new people