Western Paper Distributors Employee Reviews

Not cool
Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2019
From the start up to when I quit, they don't do what they told me what they'll gonna give me. I'm not saying anything think about it $13 an hour of four years working
"We are here to help!"
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2019
Love the relaxed culture and overall work environment. We may be shipping paper products but the "We are here to help" philosophy ensures we are making a difference to our customers.
Pros
People, culture, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Less flexibility to work remotely
April 24, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to make a review and we are happy to hear the "We are here to help" mantra resonates with you!

I really enjoy working at Western Paper!
Office Position (Current Employee) –  Denver COMarch 21, 2019
I have been at Western Paper for close to a year and really enjoy working here. I feel supported by my Manager and enjoy the weekly meetings and check ins to make sure we are both reconciled on what are the priorities to work on. The company also has a goal program which has an individual and company component. I like the transparency on areas the company is trying to improve in and being part of the solution.
Pros
Great people, opportunity to move up, transparent management
Cons
Unable to work from home
Low pay, ok place to start your working career
Issue Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2019
This place is not a long-term option for most people. The pay was very low, I was there for nearly 5 years and got very little pay increase. I was making less than $30K when I left.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
pay
March 6, 2019

Western Papers is a great place to start your career. We perform market compensation studies to ensure we are staying relevant with the competition in the marketplace. We invest in our people and look for opportunities for them to grow, develop and move up within the organization. I am sorry to hear your experience was not ideal. We appreciate the feedback and wish you all the best going forward.

March 19, 2019

Western Paper has a variety of positions from entry-level office roles, to those more senior as well as positions in our warehouse. We perform compensation studies to ensure we are staying competitive in the marketplace. In addition to base salary there is a bonus program and employer matched 401K. Pay increases are reviewed on an annual basis as part of the annual performance review process. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in your compensation and wish you the best on your next endeavor.

All they want is to "Get the box out the door" on your back
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 19, 2018
Management has no vision, they are reactionary and it's at the expense of the employees. Bad, unsafe equipment, outdated systems, no set work hours. They dont care about the employees!!!
Pros
Cons
Ownership, management
March 6, 2019

I am sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience with Western Papers. We are continually seeking feedback and looking to grow and improve. We have recently launched a number of initiatives in the warehouse to improve operations and the employee experience. This demonstrates that we are taking action on the feedback we receive and do care and invest in our employees.

Long nights low pay
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 2, 2018
No moving up pay is low and raises are low management not good everyone does what they feel like new hires get no training people ride lifts with no experience
March 6, 2019

Thank you for the feedback. We have recently launched a number of initiatives to improve the experience of our warehouse employees including a compensation study, additions to equipment, revised training plans and added some additional Supervisors to the team. Hopefully these actions demonstrate we are open to feedback and are continuously looking to improve the employee experience and be an employer of choice.

If you enjoy driving big trucks in the mountains then Western Paper is the job for you.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 10, 2018
Inspected and fueled up the truck every morning. Delivered paper products to ski resorts in Beaver Creek, Vail, Eagle, Copper Mountain, and Steamboat Springs. Enjoyed driving during the summer but the winter was brutal and exhausting. Long hours, late nights, and many stops to put chains on truck and then remove them back in the Metro.
Pros
Spring, Summer, radio, and no manager micro managing you.
Cons
Winter, 2500 pounds of ice melt on a pallet, low pay, and long winter hours.
March 19, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience about being a Driver with Western Paper. The winter months can be a challenge because the weather can be unpredictable. We always want our drivers to be safe on the road and use their best judgment when navigating roads and mountain passes.

Fun and rewarding place to work at
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 2, 2018
I enjoyed working as a forklift operator at this job and really wish that I was still working there. The managers a great at what they do and run a tight ship.
A stressful place to work at.
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80239February 19, 2018
No room to grow within the company. a very stressful place to work in.I felt like I was the only one working, there so called team wasn't a team just people coming into work and pulling orders. The warehouse lead wasn't a good lead. Overall, it wasn't a good place to work in the warehouse.
Cons
no team
March 5, 2018

There are a lot of people at Western Paper, and we all hope that they are working together. Sometimes that is easier to see than others.
The thing to remember is that individual results, as well as team productivity, are all important, and help to support each other and the company is we continue to grow and succeed.

This is where life stands still
Office (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2018
Deciding to work at Western Paper is deciding to stop all forward progress in life. There are no advancement opportunities, poor pay increases, no social interaction, no education, no networking, and no creativity. For the most part all you deal with is negativity and problems. There's a reason the turnover rate is so high and nobody talks to one another.

The hardest part about this job is finding the motivation to go each day. The second hardest part is faking the inevitable conversation with a senior manager. It's a tortuous experience.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you finally make a friend and you can make fun of the company with them.
Pros
We are allowed to decorate our cubicles during Christmas
Cons
Everything else. Really, this is a bad place to work.
March 5, 2018

It is clear that the environment at Western Paper was not one that you enjoyed, and I'm sorry to hear that.
As any potential team member considers Western Paper, or another company, it is imperative that you screen the company while they are screening you. At Western Paper, we are looking for a people that bring the right attitude, skills, and approach to the job. Similarly, it is important for you to validate that your employer/future employer provides a work environment that you will enjoy. No one wants you to not enjoy coming to work, or to not enjoy interacting with other team members or managers.
In your search for a future employer, I hope that you are able to find an atmosphere that better fits what you are looking for in an employer.

Excellent oportunity to advance my carrer in management
General Mgr (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 28, 2017
Given the chance to open up and launch a new Branch in the New Mexico market.
I hired all employees at this branch.
Developed a large customer base and secured long term buiness accounts as the Sales Manager.
March 5, 2018

Building a team, especially from the ground up, can be so rewarding! AND it can be rewarding to be a part of a team that continues to grow, after over 40 years! I appreciate the service that you provided as you helped us launch in ABQ, and look forward to years of success in ABQ, and other markets in the future!

foodball
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 25, 2017
typical day at work we always slow we have a lot of days off but what I learning everything and the Enjoy part at work is we working together every days
March 5, 2018

Thanks for the thoughts. It is great to work together on whatever is ahead!

Good company to start your career
GL Accountant/Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2017
Good company to start your career. They are willing to hire just about anyone and they will teach you anything you want to know but it is only taught there way. They use to have lots of turnovers.
October 12, 2017

Western Paper is a GREAT place to start your career, and hopefully build your career over the next few years. We work to promote from within because current team members already know about the company and industry when they promote.

As far as hiring just about anyone, I think you'll find that we are pretty selective. But once you get in the door, I think you'll love it here!

A place with lot of turn over
Warehouse-Order Puller - Warehouse Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 23, 2017
Busy and chaotic
How to organize product
Did not always to criticism for supervisor errors
non compliant
Getting everyone to do their jobs
can't say anything I enjoyed
Pros
No pros, just a job
Cons
disorganization
October 12, 2017

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Western Paper.

As with any organization, we have areas to improve in, and we rely on our team members to help us improve by doing a great job, making suggestions on how to get better, and building relationships with their team members to make work fun AND productive.

I wish you the best in your future.

Entry level job
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Montbello, COMay 3, 2017
This is an ok stepping stone to get to your next job. There are things to learn, but very limited advancement opportunities. Don't expect to find a mentor or leader. Most people, even managers it seems, have another job because the pay is not sufficient.
October 12, 2017

Western Paper is a great place to build some skills, and we hope that you will use those skills at Western Paper, but we also understand that sometimes we will help you prepare for another company. And when that happens, we always wish you the best for the next chapter of your career.

Great company culture, horrid bully employees...
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2017
Do not work for this company if you apply for the sales support division. They are a small team of 4-5 young know it alls that will bully you, record your conversations with their cell phones and steal access to your emails while discussing them between themselves and make very horrible remarks.

The ceo is a great guy and the company is a good company to work for - very employee geared.. However that one department ruins the whole thing.
October 12, 2017

Part of accepting a job is making sure the company is a good fit for you, just like the company works to make sure you are a good fit for the company. And sometimes that doesn't work out.

I agree that the CEO is a great guy, and we work hard to make the company a great place to work, in all departments. I'm sorry your experience wasn't as positive as we would like.

Of course, as these things come up, one of the most important things you can do is to reach out to your manager or another leader at the company to help address or help you navigate whatever challenges you are experiencing. I hope that your next position is a better experience for you.

Good People, good culture, too big for its britches some days
Issure Resolution (Current Employee) –  DenverApril 11, 2017
I've been working at Western Paper for some years now. While it's an excellent place to start and grow your abilities and connections, you have to realize that the company slings cleaning supplies, toiletries, and everything one could think of that an EVS department or Janitorial company could dream of. If this is not your dream, that's ok you'll learn to love it, or not. The company works with hundreds of vendors to distribute products across multiple states. To be fair, the company is doing really well and has experienced tremendous growth due the hard work of good and talented people. I can not stress that enough. While individual managers/department heads can be a real pleasure to work for, others are possibly less so and I'm not sure senior management is as connected as they should be. While they do make attempts and do small things to reward employees that work hard, inter-departmental challenges persist and long standing issues remain a consistent thorn reducing efficiency and creating frustrations. I'd like to temper that statement with the fact that there is so much work to be done; the company is growing and there is often just not enough time in the day. Pay seems appropriate but it's not entirely sufficient for the cost of living in the area, but not unreasonable. Raises and promotions are normal for people who can come and and get their job done. Bonus money for completing extra tasks. I'd really rate the company a 3.7 overall.
Pros
good people, good culture, an excellent place to learn an industry
Cons
Slightly under paid for cost of living/can't keep good staff as a result
Great solid job
ITEM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2017
Very organized and driven company that is growing rapidly. A little behind on the pay but they make up for it in training and support.
Work Life
Shipping Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2016
I found my time at Western Paper Distribution to be very beneficial and an amazing learning experience. However I am looking for more growth within a company and the chance to advance further.I found the management to have my best interest at heart and the company very employee oriented.
Dynamic position/poor management of sales team
Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2015
My typical day involved scheduling appointments, performing follow up and cold calls, planning weekly visits, picking up product for customers, managing emails,researching product, handling and executing customer orders, etc.

Overall job duties included developing new business, managing and growing existing business; brokering with vendors; submitting customer orders; daily and weekly visits with customers in large territory; weekly meetings with sales manager; researching value product lines for customers; problem solving with supply chain issues; appointment setting and meeting coordination; picking up product/delivery for customers; brokering with service technicians for equipment installed; etc.

I learned that poor management is not an option for me in sales. If management is not supportive it can be very distracting. The lack of good leadership in sales management breeds negativity and distrust in an otherwise dynamic and positive sales environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people on a daily basis and building good relationships with my customers!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Paper Distributors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Western Paper Distributors Reviews by Location