Western Psychological & Counseling Services

Western Psychological & Counseling Services Employee Reviews

Horrible Mangement and Toxic Work Environment
Front Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORFebruary 1, 2019
My experience working at Western was all but good. They do not have a proper training program so had to learn on the job in front of clients. The other office co-workers were not good at explaining and would mumble the instructions to me making it even harder to learn. When asking a clarifying question on a certain step, they would start from the very beginning explaining making learning even more frustrating. The office manager at this location was friendly but obviously could not manage her employees and basic training problems. She automatically reported this to the clinical site manager before bringing this to my attention in an effective and obvious manner. 3 days after my meeting with the clinical site manager, I was fired, without even given a chance to improve. This could have been avoided if I was told up front by my own manager so that I was aware of the problem. Very unprofessional management and they do not pay a living wage at all. Also was strange because 2 of the employees are related and both very good friends with the manager even outside of work. This is a huge conflict of interest. Very unprofessional work environment as well as they would make controversial jokes regarding sensitive issues on a daily basis and reprimanded me once in an attempt at making a self-deprecating joke about myself. This is an example of extreme miscommunication and a toxic work environment. The only good thing about working there was interacting with the providers because most of them were very nice and down to earth. Would highly recommend NOT working here after this horrible  more... experience, it is just not worth it.

As a side note, they posted my job two weeks after I started and at that very time my office manager told me randomly on multiple occasions that I was doing a very good job. Less than 2 weeks after that I was fired mid-day and was given a pre-payed check to the exact last hour of when I worked. It is extremely clear that Western's true values are significantly contradictory to the very essence of what they stand for - healthy communication and "promoting positive outcomes".
Pros
Free lunches, Nice providers
Cons
Extremely poor management, Miscommunication, Improper training program, Major conflict of interest
Family like environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 27, 2019
Wide variety of personalities, all professional and complimentary. Enjoyed working with office staff, providers and insurance team. Management was organized with good communication.
Great Place to work as a BCBA
BCBA (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORJune 14, 2018
Western's ABA Autism Clinic is a great place to work. They have close supervision of their BAIs as well as very high standards for BCBAs. Their BAI (techs) are only individuals working towards getting their BCBA and their supervisor (always a BCBA) overlaps with the BAIs multiple times per week. Work schedule is consistent (approx. 8am-5pm in clinic or later hours if a provider choose to work in home). This is the first place as a BCBA that work life balance is possible- which is evident by the low turnover rate. Like every company there are of course weakness but the managers constantly strive to improve these and are proactive about making change happen.
Pros
collaborative work environment, consistent schedule, great supervision
Cons
clinic environment, high energy direct work, administrative paperwork
not worth it if you are already licensed
Individual and Group Therapist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 7, 2018
The % of gross income went to them as high as 50%. Limited respect from CEO regarding the need for higher % for compensation or lowering the cost of the benefits.
Overall Good
Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2018
I liked working there and I felt supported. I worked in client's homes so I'm not sure what the day to day work life looked like as a clinician. I generally enjoyed the office staff when I would visit different buildings.
Toxic Environment
Board Certified Behavior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2018
The autism program is absolutely toxic. It was not enjoyable and was not somewhere any employees wanted to be. The dread going into work was heavy and the morale was incredible low.
Intensive Outpatient Counselor (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 18, 2018
Western provides great support including continuing education requirements. Their CEO, CD supervisor and staff are wonderful. This is a high paced job with great expectations which sometimes do not have time provided to complete tasks which sometimes causes additional stress in the CD counseling positions.
Pros
Professional aptmosphere with many perks including great employees.
Cons
Very heavy paperwork/ high expectations in CD role with little scheduled time to complete tasks.
Mostly Care About Making Money
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, ORDecember 31, 2017
Very business oriented with main goal of making as much money as possible, almost like a factory. Poor communication from management and tends to be 'boys club.' Great office staff.
Nice Desk Job
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 27, 2017
If you're looking for a job, this is a great place to feel comfortable. The therapists are amazing and the job is easy enough to be enjoyable once you learn the protocol.
Pros
Med lunches
Cons
High stress
Multiple Locations
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 24, 2017
Your experience will differ greatly depending on what office you work at. Overall the company was good but they don't have a proper training or office support program. This has led to a really high turn over rate and some really negative views.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
Training & Support
Multiple office locations... depends on which one you are in...
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 21, 2017
I was a float receptionist for this company and had an overall good experience. I definitely worked at one of the grouchiest offices but the company as a whole was good.
Showed employees that they appricated them by having lunch provided
Office Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 21, 2017
I worked by myself on prepping files, scanning them into the system, putting into assigned folders in the computer system. I had to learn the computer system for WPCS, which was Medisoft then NextGen system. I pretty much manage my own time and made sure that I finished other projects that I had to scan into the computer system. There was a lot more women working in the Business than Men so, that was very different. The hardest part of the job was not to get involved with people who liked to gossip about company or people who worked for the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was being provided lunch from time to time.
Pros
free lunches from time to time, snacks brought in
Cons
short breaks, did not feel valued as employee, no opportunity for advancement
Poor Management
OP Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 28, 2016
CD supervisor is belittling, controlling, not supportive and unfriendly. There is no room for advancement and most counselors either quit or move to mental health.
Pros
Coworkers are amazing
Customer focused environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 19, 2015
Great group of providers to work for. The management was not as easy to navigate. Wage compensation was a bit low for the amount of work expected.
Great Staff
Intake Specialist/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 28, 2014
Wonderful staff with lots of upward mobility. They really care about mental health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Psychological & Counseling Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Western Psychological & Counseling Services Reviews by Location