Western Refining Employee Reviews

Fun job
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Dolores, COApril 15, 2018
Job was allot of fun
Great learning and great opportunities for a younger person it could be the perfect job, cause great hours and its not a a too much fast pace its just right
This was not a good situation
Sr. Principle Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 5, 2018
would not recommend anyone for this company, they seem to have a buddy system in place. I learned a lot from the field foreman and the other crafts men.
Family oriented work environment. Great place to work.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAApril 2, 2018
Over the years, provided me with ample opportunities for advancement. Started out in entry level position with great manager. All my knowledge and work ethics were acquired here.
Pros
Flex hours; friendly; family oriented; concern for employees
Cons
Small refinery; therefore, closed down.
Good
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 18, 2018
I enjoyed working for WR. We got paid every friday and the supervisor was amazing. got paid vacation. I wokred in the Farmington, NM area and sometimes as a "floater" where i worked at gas stations that needed employee help.
Pros
Paid vacation, weekly pay
Cons
no breaks, working with difficult people
Fun place to work
Corporate AP Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 18, 2018
Very relaxed with minimal supervision and as long as you do your job you will not have any issues. Supervisor is a very nice person and very pleasant, working for her is just awesome.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
Moving to Houston
Great company to work for!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 18, 2018
Great company to work for!
Fast paced work, on your feet the entire shift.
Great management and a great company.
Enjoyable job, great management, good benefits!
good work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 11, 2018
it is a good job for starter in customer service and to learn computerized P.O.S system. Pretty laid back and calm except for during peak hours in the morning and evening
Organized, Fast Pace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Bluff, CAMarch 4, 2018
Cleanliness is important in this job atmosphere. I have learned to adapt to changes in how things are run. I also learned how to be more assertive with what I want as an employee. Management is empathetic toward all the coworkers lifestyles and needs. The hardest part of this job is dealing with rude customers. The best part of this job is I never get bored, I always have something to do.
Pros
good health benefits
Cons
not enough breaks
Results oriented and dedicated staff
Product Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 3, 2018
I would recommend them as a place to work, and enjoyed my time here. There is an expectation of putting in many hours and getting results, but it is a family atmosphere and great people to work with.
Pros
Tickets to various events
Cons
Long demanding work hours
A company that you felt like you were a real part of the making. It was, and they sold it.
Legal Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 9, 2018
Western was a great place to work. It was unfortunate that many of the employees lost their positions when Western was acquired by Tesoro, out of San Antonio, but that is big business, the new owners had to do what was necessary to make and keep the company valuable and profitable. I'll definitely miss working there.
Pros
Great healthcare, awesome 401K, Fantastic Van pool
Cons
limited office space
It's a convenient store
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 5, 2018
You dont recommend convenient stores as a career choice. Who wants to deal with everyone else's bad day? This was a temporary job while I was in school.
Cons
Great company bought by competitor
Business Intelligence Architect (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 30, 2018
Western Refining was great. The company trusted its employees and did not micromanage. This was possible due to hiring great people.

The purchasing competitor, however, is much more segmented and has a much different culture.
Meh Pay, Constant Stress, Revolving Door
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 26, 2018
I worked for Western Refining for 5 years, from day one it was the most stressful job I ever had, nobody stayed for more than a month it seemed like, I saw people get fired for the dumbest reasons imaginable, (i.e. a 12 year employee was fired for accidentally giving a refill to someone they thought was an employee [which the policy states is fine] only to later be fired because that person had been fired a few days before, which this employee had no way of knowing)
they have 0 respect for their employees and will throw you under the bus first chance they get for any or no reason. avoid at all costs.

Keep in mind this review is for retail not for logistics or the actual refining areas so I know nothing of those areas.
Decent pay and great benefits
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Western Refining is a great company. The benefits are some of the best you'll find. Pay is good for most job positions. There is room for advancement if you have a degree.

I would recommend working for this company if you do not work in the retail department of the company. Meaning if you do any work directly for the various convenient stores. For example, store manager and/or associate, I.T., and maintenance technician. If you find work in any other department you'll be much happier. People who get hired for the positions mentioned above tend to get stuck there. Though the pay can be good, make no mistake that those positions are the bottom of the barrel.

As far as being a maintenance tech you can expect being on call after hours, long hours, little to no training and a paycheck that does reflect all the extra overtime you put in. I do not recommend working as a maintenance tech unless you have a plan to transfer to another department.
Pros
Company vehicle, decent pay, great benefits
Cons
being on call, long hours, no training, poor supervision
Great co-workers, great benefits
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 23, 2018
A great job with a big glitch. Management continually state they are there to help employees succeed, but when told of roadblocks, nothing is done. A large percentage of people hired as fuel delivery drivers are fired. Beware.
good
Cashier and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 17, 2018
it was alright can't complain.. liked the job just was not able to advance as much as I'd like. the manger sucked hours were good I enjoyed my job working here
Fun place to work
Sales Associate, Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJanuary 8, 2018
Was a good place to work. I enjoyed meeting a lot of new people. I had fun doing my job duties. Communication was on point with the first manager that i had started under.
rough job to have
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMJanuary 6, 2018
day to day functions of the job are fun but dealing with corporate is the hardest part of the job, corporate can make you feel that you are worth nothing, no advancement based on what you know but who you know, I've learned to just not say anything when it comes to higher managers out of fear of being fired
Great company
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 5, 2018
Enjoyed working at this location and was very happy with the compensation.
Benefits were great.
Safety was a issue Western refining took seriously.
The new company that took over was also a great company but unfortunately made changes which resulted in the loss of many jobs and departments.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Department closed when company sold.
eh
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 27, 2017
Working at a gas station is not fun. If you are ever in one and see the clerk without enthusiasm, it is because of the way it is run and the rude customers they deal with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Refining. Our community is ready to answer.