Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Work place
Administration registrations clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJanuary 16, 2019
Is not a very up to date in anything. The manager or supervior appreciate the work that the employee do day to day and the pay is not good at all and we as a contact employee have to always work holiday and weekend.
Most Dangerous place to work
Psychiatric Security Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 7, 2019
I had to leave this very dangerous place before either being crippled by violent patients or management put you in prison for protecting your self from being attacked.
Pros
stedy pay
Cons
getting attacked
They try
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 17, 2018
They try to do the best that they can with the limited support staff that they have.Management is very top heavy. The budget comes before the clients.They seem to have know clue what is needed for the clients.
Fun place to work
Food server (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 4, 2018
This place is a good place to work. Work and life balance is all up to you how much you want to work. Place is safe to work at, management is fair. Benefits is great.
Pros
Real understanding
Not a good place for the light hearted
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 3, 2018
not a good place at all. they hurt individuals with their words and do not think that life happens. they treat people with total disrespect and they as individuals treat people with the most disrespect.
benefits
Cons
they have no people skills
low pay, good state benefits
LPN (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAOctober 21, 2018
If you enjoy working with the mentally ill, this is a good place to work.
the job can be stressful, even dangerous at times. Benefits through the state are good, but pay is too low.
Pros
sense of achievement.
Cons
low pay, mandatory OT on regular basis.
changing
Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAOctober 20, 2018
The hospital is constantly evolving with little planning. Failed federal survey due to poor managment. Management does not have the skills needed to do their jobs.
Western State
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 16, 2018
Great working place. Entering data, answering phones. Assisting clients. Helping others in our department. Creating and maintaining various files for committees that I was on.
Benefits
Cons
Great atmosphere for experience and training
RN, (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 15, 2018
Superior in professionalism with an emphasis on quality patient care. My skill in safely administering
medications, monitor vital signs, and performing bedside care is exceptional. I am also a very passionate
advocate for my patients and bring a warm comforting approach to patients and their loved ones. I have
helped create a positive environment that lifts patients' spirits, even in challenging circumstances.
My communication and documentation skills are efficient. I understand the importance of being clear and
thorough in providing pertinent information. I am an excellent listener and follow directions, even under pressure. I've collaborated well with a variety of other medical professionals to achieve our joint goal of
improving the quality of patients' lives.
I am an energetic, detail oriented person who has strong patient are skills, and an exceptional service
record, and the ability to work well with others. I have held various levels of responsibility in numerous
settings with success in each endeavor.
It had its ups and downs
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WASeptember 23, 2018
Working there had it’s ups and downs I enjoyed working with the staff you always had to keep watch for patients getting out of hand but security was always there ASAP.
Loved the job part of the job...
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VASeptember 20, 2018
Working with the patients was always the best part of my work day. Dealing with shift supervisors was certainly not. Administration is okay. It really helps to get along with your fellow nursing aides/RNs, but that is not always the case.
Pros
Rewarding job, getting to see your patients recover, getting to help people, administration deals with issues swiftly, you build camaraderie with other unit staff
Cons
Overtime hours, rude shift supervisors, no hazard pay
Western State Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2018
Good place to start working as a staff nurse. There is a lot to learn and the experience is awesome although the work and the patients can be difficult.
Pros
Benefits, staff, clture
Cons
difficult patients, hard work at times
Stressful with little Management help
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VASeptember 4, 2018
The clients are what make the job worth it. You do not get paid well, there is no hazard pay. Management is flawed and doesn't have your back. You need to have good connections to get anywhere.
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 31, 2018
I love interacting and helping patients and communicating with them. My coworkers are very nice and easy to get along with, which makes the environment great.
Pros
everyone is great, and I love the job that I do.
Cons
There aren't any work benefits and the pay is not competitive
Nurse Educator
RN3 Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 29, 2018
No advancement opportunity otherwise good work. Union membership optional. Pay is based on years of service as RN, education and certifications don't matter.
Pros
Union
Cons
No employee cafe or place to get food
It’s okay
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAAugust 19, 2018
Honestly i loved this job but the environment was not the best. Some units are amazing but others just treat you poorly and no one does anything about it.
Awesome Place To Work
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 15, 2018
Awesome working with staff And patients. If I was to move back to Kentucky, I would go back to Western State Hospital to apply for a job I would recommend people that is looking for a job to Western State Hospital.
Has its ups and downs
WA (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 10, 2018
Western state is a decent place to get started in your career in every level, but due to the high occurances of unsafe work enviroment it makes it difficult to work safely.
Great staff and very friendly.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 10, 2018
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
Being short staffed sometimes but that never got me down. I did my job and did it well
A hospital in extreme transition; working towards excellence.
Hospital Management Ward Administrator PTRC East (Current Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJuly 21, 2018
The patients are the best part of the day. If you want to make a difference and work with a marginalized underserved population please consider Western State.
Pros
Positive work like balance
Cons
Emotionally taxing, political challenges