Western State Hospital
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

United States269 reviews

westernpatientwardhospitalstatementalassaultdangerous

No one cares or knows what they are doing

Under staffed in every department. No covid pay despite working around sick covid patients. No one to look out for you or your safety so youre on your toes at all times. Others not doing their jobs or showing up to work and not reprimanded for it. Overworked in general with little support from management to do anything about it.

What is the best part of working at the company?Its a state jobWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Lack of support from unit supervisors. Working mandatory 16 hour shifts. Being pulled from unit to unit with unfamiliar patients. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Not very goodWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Exhausting

Western State Hospital insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

What is the best part of working at the company?Excellent new employee training program What is the most stressful part about working at the company?There were more cliques than I seen in 20 years as an RN. The patients were the best part however I left because the nurses with more seniority were very abusive and sabotaging newer nurses and/or any staff that weren’t in their cliques. WSH management allows this Culture of Bullying What is the work environment and culture like at the company?A culture of demeaning bullying by RN3 to new nurses

Pay not competitive. Good Occupational Therapy dept. No productivity hoops to jump through.

Everyday is different. The patient's so great. Most staff are helpful and friendly. Most managers are supportive although some are micromanagers but not in the OT department. The pay is not competitive but we do not have a huge charging burden or productivity targets.

Good place

This can be a great place if management would put more money into safety. Hire competent management and employees. The pay is okay but can be dangerous at times.

I wouldn't suggest this job to anyone...

There are too many dangers to your health and safety for the pay that you do receive. Management preaches about teamwork but are not happy with you if you actually try to use it. Over all not a place that I would ever come back to or refer someone to.

Pros

Very interesting place to work...

Cons

Required to work some holidays and weekends, risk of bodily harm, underpaid

Horrible Place

As an MHT, you sit & stare at someone for eight hours & document every 15 minutes. Nothing else. When you’re “on-call” you’re basically pooped on. You’re replaceable & don’t belong & they make sure you know it.

Benefits

Cons

Everything besides benefits

eh

I already don't like it. They don't pay you enough for the hazards associated with the job. Staff is overworked. Even with the pay increase, employees are being underpaid compared to their peers in similar jobs with similar qualifications at other places in the area.

What is the best part of working at the company?Helping patients achieve their personal goals What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The work overload and constant mandates. Management is a joke and more drama than Highschool.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Like your constantly walking on eggshells and afraid to stand up for yourself without being reprimanded.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Getting treated rudely by staff and supervisors

Excellent client relations experience but very poor management

You get to interact with clients and report changes in behavior to their treatment team. Just being able to help clients with their social issues and day to day tasks was the most enjoyable part of the job. The problem comes when it relates to communication between the employees and managers. As well as if you freeze up or do something wrong just twice you can be threatened with termination and or get written up when they often side with the wrong party when an issue arises. Management will also take any rumor no matter how small seriously despite if it's obviously wrong and file it against you.

Pros

Long breaks and planning periods

Cons

Bad management, terrible employee relations

Nice place with nice people. Alot of help!

Nice place! Great benefits. There is no mandatory overtime anymore. Which is great.Nice leave policy. Alot of opportunities to advance your career goals

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Short breaks

It’s a very diverse place.

The problem I have been exposed to is that there isn’t any teamwork coming from WSH staff, no consistency, no stability, workers disappear during shifts leaving the unit’s vulnerable. Staff run from work. There’s a lot of nit picking and backstabbing going on. Nurses never want to help on the floor or handle crisis situations.

Pros

Diversity

Cons

Need better management and consistency

I completely loved working at WSH with the exception of working around the full moon.

Working at Western State Hospital (WSH) was actually exciting every day. Each day was unique as I had to deal with unstable mentally ill patients.It is not very often that a person can say that they looked forward to going to work every day, but my job at WSH was the perfect job for me.

Don’t work here

I hate it it’s horrible low pay they take away all the benefits that we were promised on joining the place they don’t care about there employees of you was to die tonight you would definitely be replaced by the falling week management is horrible stay far away

Nice place to work at

Loved this job, very interesting job to work at, you learn all about the psychiatry field, and everyone there is nice, you get your bad apple every once in a while, but it’s a great place to work.

Nice place to work

As long as you work as a team, its a good place to work. Security is most of the time very responsive and supportive. However be aware of who you are and your purpose and reasons you are there....diversity is good

Horrible place to work

The pay hardly increases. Doesn't match up with the current economy. Some management is high or something and don't know what they're doing. Very high turnover rate.

Love the patients, not the management. Very nit picking. Also requires mandatory overtime.

Mandatory overtime results in a high turnover in all positions especially nursing. The work itself is very rewarding. Just too much of it. Always understaffed

Pros

Salary benefits

Cons

Mandatory overtime. Treats staff like children. Heavy handed management that doesn’t listen.

The leadership are considerate

short staff; mandatory overtimes; difficulty filing a leave; toxic culture; most PNAs and LPNs are rude and disrespectful to the RNs; lack of proper orientation; short lunch break if you're lucky to have one

Cons

short breaks, no work life balance, difficult to file a leave, toxic work culture, mandated overtime which burns me out

My job was one of a kind position. So difficult to speak for other positions. I was the Employee Health Nurse for 14 years.

Recently retired from state system at WSH for past 27 1/2 years. Loved being Employee Health Nurse. Retired to pursue other options for 2nd income beyond retirement.

Pros

Numerous departments with job opportunities many different shift options

Cons

Safety for unit staffing during staffing shortages, No complaints regarding my previous department of Human Resources.

It was a job

When it came down to it they did not care about me or take care of me or have my back. They tried to push me out instead of trying to help me like they said they would when had medical issue.

Pros

Its a job

Cons

They don't care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

1.9
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
1.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight