Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

I will not hesitate to encourage any qualified person to work for Western State Hospital.
Licensed Practical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 15, 2018
Western State Hospital is a great place to work despite having an outside reputation of housing dangerous patients. I like to work at WSH because great effort has been made and continues to make in order to reduce violence in the work place. I feel like another or other co-workers have my back that make me feel safe. The salary is satisfactory. Our union fights to gain a fair deal from the state. Workers in the same category get the same salary. WSH forms or recruits educator who trains staff on better care and mainly how to keep the work environment safe by increasing security for both employees and patients. On the wards staff members work together as a team. Management devises strategies to make wards safe for the staff and patients. Staff must be consistent in what is done for the patients. All is not easy especially when a patient becomes violent and must be retrained away from other patients. The most enjoyable part of the job at WSH is when a patient has done well in order to be discharged and integrated in the community. In conclusion, Western State Hospital is a fun place to work.
The worst
LPN Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 30, 2018
I went in bubbly and cheerful like I've always been and that place almost turned me into the monsters that 90% of the staff was. Breaks your spirit and u start losing yourself and your compassion. Empaths and spiritualy awakened individuals will not make it there. I had to get out before I become negative just like the entire place.
Benefits
Cons
Staff, patients, politics, environment, vibe is negative
Registered Nurse 3 Supervisor Ward Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJune 20, 2018
The on the job training is great, if you feel your not competent they will extend you training until you feel you are competent to do the job. Their is job advancement if you have the drive.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
I transfered to another institution
Western State Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 11, 2018
I love working at Western State Hospital. I love the people I work with, the patients, and everything about the facility. I would recommend this job to anyone who has the calling for psychiatric patients.
Stressful yet rewarding job
Psychiatric Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 18, 2018
The job is not stressful because of the patients, the job is stressful because of people who are either not qualified, incompetent, or like to complain about their job. I have learned an incredible amount working for WSH. There is a lot of drama. Not many supervisors are qualified to be a supervisor. If you are wanting to learn and have opportunities, I would highly recommend it. Keep your boundaries and you will do great!
Pros
Good pay, rewarding work, job security
Cons
management, constant scrutiny
Diverse Work Force
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 17, 2018
Good place to work, diverse workforce. The majority of the people who work at Western State Hospital truly care for the patient. At this time there were no opportunities for advancement in food service.
Western state
Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 6, 2018
I myself liked the job because I worked with great people who were on the same page as I. Only thing about the job was coming in & not knowing when a patient would act out.
Pros
Hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks, laid back job
Cons
Getting attacted, being short staffed
the worst part of the job
Psychiatric Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 6, 2018
You are expected to live there they mandate you and expect you to work basically around the clock and neglect your own family. The patients are great to work with however the management needs to learn how to treat staff the goal should be to make sure the patients needs are met but that is hard when staff is so overworked that they get no rest
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
short breaks low pay and super long work hours
Not a bad place to work
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 2, 2018
As a part timer I do not have much of a problem here. Sometimes you have to work long hours and sometimes scheduling is not always done correctly, but the job is easy and the people are nice.
Job is good, most people are not
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 27, 2018
I really loved my job here. I did. I had an awesome supervisor and made some really great friends there. I still have some good friends working there, however, let me say this...if you ever get hurt...be prepared to have most people turn their back on you and lie. I had this experience so it's factual and I can write it.
Everyone is your best friend as long as you do whatever they want you to do....With the exception of my supervisor and a few friends still working there. The turnover rate is horrible too. I know that I trained about 30 plus people myself in the three yrs I was there.
Pros
Patients/helping others
Cons
Turn over rate and some of the people
professional job
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAApril 18, 2018
I am very enjoying my job there. There are many opportunities and chances to grow. Benefits are great and long you work you get better and better benefit.
I enjoyed my patient but didnt enjoy some of the staff to many chiefs and not enough indians
Patient aide 2 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 16, 2018
Safe free environment , clean , lack of communication was bad with staff pass along report housekeeping was poor the 3rd shift did the cleaning and housekeeping got the praise for the building beig kept clean that wasnt right to take all the credit.
job duties
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAApril 14, 2018
Assist patients with Activities of daily living, help with patient movements with security in mind. Monitoring patients for various reasons and discussing treatment plans with other staff
Pros
not many
Cons
a lot
I never participated in these activities
Transport Driver 1 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 10, 2018
This position was the best position ever of achievement in a life time
A typical day at work was rewarding,Iearned alot of exsperience.
Management were very supportive, Work place culture was intreging
from all kinds of cultures. The hardest part of job was trying to satisfy a large range of customer service,but came very highly recommended. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Could sometimes be very stressful
Rn
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAApril 9, 2018
Patient care very challenging, very short staffed. Mandatory overtime makes work and personal life very challenging. ................. .....................
Do not work here
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMarch 29, 2018
Western State Hospital is probably the worst company i have ever worked for. Their managment lacks leadership skills in all areas. They are always short staffed and treat their employees terrible, and the pay is horrible. $9.00 an hour is what they pay anyone who isnt a nurse. They make you stay over if theirs no one to cover the next shift, so sometimes you are their for 16 hours at a time. you only get one weeked off per month, and they are horrible about working with your schedule.
Pros
I liked my team on my unit, good psych experience, good manager and good benefits
Cons
management, mandated shifts
Management was bad.
, Mental Health Tech (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 11, 2018
The only people held accountable at the time were those who actually did thier job. And they were criticized. And never promoted. Those that knew less, did less, got the most. Hopefully that has changed.
Pros
Union
Cons
Nepotism
Management unqualified
Housekeeper / Psychiatric Nurses Aide (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMarch 4, 2018
Management are not qualified to handle harassment claims, discrimination, or work hazard . Working here I enjoyed the patients, and some of staff. Benefits of days off
Pros
Days off
Cons
Management discriminatory. Good ole boys club management.
nope
Psychiatric Security Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAFebruary 20, 2018
that place is not safe at all. co-workers are always getting her hurt almost every day. not a very safe place to work at especially if your are dealing violent patients.
The hardest part of the job:
HR (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAFebruary 15, 2018
Is getting used to state regulations and guidelines. I came from the private sector into a state position and the two are very different from one another. Be patient.