Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Western State Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2018
Good place to start working as a staff nurse. There is a lot to learn and the experience is awesome although the work and the patients can be difficult.
Pros
Benefits, staff, clture
Cons
difficult patients, hard work at times
Stressful with little Management help
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VASeptember 4, 2018
The clients are what make the job worth it. You do not get paid well, there is no hazard pay. Management is flawed and doesn't have your back. You need to have good connections to get anywhere.
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 31, 2018
I love interacting and helping patients and communicating with them. My coworkers are very nice and easy to get along with, which makes the environment great.
Pros
everyone is great, and I love the job that I do.
Cons
There aren't any work benefits and the pay is not competitive
Nurse Educator
RN3 Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 29, 2018
No advancement opportunity otherwise good work. Union membership optional. Pay is based on years of service as RN, education and certifications don't matter.
Pros
Union
Cons
No employee cafe or place to get food
It’s okay
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAAugust 19, 2018
Honestly i loved this job but the environment was not the best. Some units are amazing but others just treat you poorly and no one does anything about it.
Awesome Place To Work
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 15, 2018
Awesome working with staff And patients. If I was to move back to Kentucky, I would go back to Western State Hospital to apply for a job I would recommend people that is looking for a job to Western State Hospital.
Has its ups and downs
WA (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 10, 2018
Western state is a decent place to get started in your career in every level, but due to the high occurances of unsafe work enviroment it makes it difficult to work safely.
Great staff and very friendly.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 10, 2018
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
Being short staffed sometimes but that never got me down. I did my job and did it well
A hospital in extreme transition; working towards excellence.
Hospital Management Ward Administrator PTRC East (Current Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJuly 21, 2018
The patients are the best part of the day. If you want to make a difference and work with a marginalized underserved population please consider Western State.
Pros
Positive work like balance
Cons
Emotionally taxing, political challenges
I will not hesitate to encourage any qualified person to work for Western State Hospital.
Licensed Practical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 15, 2018
Western State Hospital is a great place to work despite having an outside reputation of housing dangerous patients. I like to work at WSH because great effort has been made and continues to make in order to reduce violence in the work place. I feel like another or other co-workers have my back that make me feel safe. The salary is satisfactory. Our union fights to gain a fair deal from the state. Workers in the same category get the same salary. WSH forms or recruits educator who trains staff on better care and mainly how to keep the work environment safe by increasing security for both employees and patients. On the wards staff members work together as a team. Management devises strategies to make wards safe for the staff and patients. Staff must be consistent in what is done for the patients. All is not easy especially when a patient becomes violent and must be retrained away from other patients. The most enjoyable part of the job at WSH is when a patient has done well in order to be discharged and integrated in the community. In conclusion, Western State Hospital is a fun place to work.
The worst
LPN Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 30, 2018
I went in bubbly and cheerful like I've always been and that place almost turned me into the monsters that 90% of the staff was. Breaks your spirit and u start losing yourself and your compassion. Empaths and spiritualy awakened individuals will not make it there. I had to get out before I become negative just like the entire place.
Benefits
Cons
Staff, patients, politics, environment, vibe is negative
Good benefits and good pay
Secretary Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 25, 2018
Working at WSH was an interesting experience. Must have a tough skin to work there. They pay well and have great benefits but there definitely is a culture that is unlike anything I have ever encountered. If you can let what other people say about you roll off your shoulders, it's a great place to work.
Registered Nurse 3 Supervisor Ward Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Steilacoom, WAJune 20, 2018
The on the job training is great, if you feel your not competent they will extend you training until you feel you are competent to do the job. Their is job advancement if you have the drive.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
I transfered to another institution
Western State Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJune 11, 2018
I love working at Western State Hospital. I love the people I work with, the patients, and everything about the facility. I would recommend this job to anyone who has the calling for psychiatric patients.
Stressful yet rewarding job
Psychiatric Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 18, 2018
The job is not stressful because of the patients, the job is stressful because of people who are either not qualified, incompetent, or like to complain about their job. I have learned an incredible amount working for WSH. There is a lot of drama. Not many supervisors are qualified to be a supervisor. If you are wanting to learn and have opportunities, I would highly recommend it. Keep your boundaries and you will do great!
Pros
Good pay, rewarding work, job security
Cons
management, constant scrutiny
Diverse Work Force
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 17, 2018
Good place to work, diverse workforce. The majority of the people who work at Western State Hospital truly care for the patient. At this time there were no opportunities for advancement in food service.
Western state
Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 6, 2018
I myself liked the job because I worked with great people who were on the same page as I. Only thing about the job was coming in & not knowing when a patient would act out.
Pros
Hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks, laid back job
Cons
Getting attacted, being short staffed
the worst part of the job
Psychiatric Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 6, 2018
You are expected to live there they mandate you and expect you to work basically around the clock and neglect your own family. The patients are great to work with however the management needs to learn how to treat staff the goal should be to make sure the patients needs are met but that is hard when staff is so overworked that they get no rest
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
short breaks low pay and super long work hours
Not a bad place to work
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 2, 2018
As a part timer I do not have much of a problem here. Sometimes you have to work long hours and sometimes scheduling is not always done correctly, but the job is easy and the people are nice.
Job is good, most people are not
Patient Aide (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 27, 2018
I really loved my job here. I did. I had an awesome supervisor and made some really great friends there. I still have some good friends working there, however, let me say this...if you ever get hurt...be prepared to have most people turn their back on you and lie. I had this experience so it's factual and I can write it.
Everyone is your best friend as long as you do whatever they want you to do....With the exception of my supervisor and a few friends still working there. The turnover rate is horrible too. I know that I trained about 30 plus people myself in the three yrs I was there.
Pros
Patients/helping others
Cons
Turn over rate and some of the people