Western State Hospital Pay & Benefits reviews

A good place to work, but could pay more.
PNA (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 13, 2019
Western State is a good place to work but I feel they could pay more because there are so risk that comes with the jobs there. Nursing homes in this area starting pay is $14.50 an hour.
Lots of overtime
Charge Psych Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAJune 21, 2019
Nice place to work make extra money its always good see clients recover from there illnous . Friendly place to work nice atmosphere supervisors always willing to help.
Job not bad
Psychiatric Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 29, 2019
I actually enjoy my work with the clients and my coworkers however the way the help is treated is unrealistic you are expected to basically make this place your life and forget your family
Benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Severely Understaffed
Employee (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 17, 2019
This hospital is severely understaffed. It is a dangerous place to work, especially if you are female. I would not recommend it. Because it's understaffed, there is not enough security to keep the violent patients supervised properly. Male and female staff members have been severely beaten and received lifelong injuries as a result. Female staff members have been sexually assaulted. It is very difficult to get compensation for assault and injury.
As a result, the workplace culture is very cynical and depressing. The buildings are more than one hundred years old in some cases and nearly falling apart.
Pros
Made some good friends among the staff and learned leadership skills
Cons
Just about everything
Horrible Place To Work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAFebruary 8, 2019
No room for advancement
Not enough staff for patient to staff ratio
Not enough workers to properly care for the establishment ,
Little to no appreciation towards the workers in that type of environments.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Horrible Upper Management
Fun place to work
Food server (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 4, 2018
This place is a good place to work. Work and life balance is all up to you how much you want to work. Place is safe to work at, management is fair. Benefits is great.
Pros
Real understanding
Not a good place for the light hearted
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 3, 2018
not a good place at all. they hurt individuals with their words and do not think that life happens. they treat people with total disrespect and they as individuals treat people with the most disrespect.
benefits
Cons
they have no people skills
low pay, good state benefits
LPN (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAOctober 21, 2018
If you enjoy working with the mentally ill, this is a good place to work.
the job can be stressful, even dangerous at times. Benefits through the state are good, but pay is too low.
Pros
sense of achievement.
Cons
low pay, mandatory OT on regular basis.
Western State
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYOctober 16, 2018
Great working place. Entering data, answering phones. Assisting clients. Helping others in our department. Creating and maintaining various files for committees that I was on.
Western State Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2018
Good place to start working as a staff nurse. There is a lot to learn and the experience is awesome although the work and the patients can be difficult.
Pros
Benefits, staff, clture
Cons
difficult patients, hard work at times
Stressful with little Management help
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VASeptember 4, 2018
The clients are what make the job worth it. You do not get paid well, there is no hazard pay. Management is flawed and doesn't have your back. You need to have good connections to get anywhere.
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 31, 2018
I love interacting and helping patients and communicating with them. My coworkers are very nice and easy to get along with, which makes the environment great.
Pros
everyone is great, and I love the job that I do.
Cons
There aren't any work benefits and the pay is not competitive
Nurse Educator
RN3 Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 29, 2018
No advancement opportunity otherwise good work. Union membership optional. Pay is based on years of service as RN, education and certifications don't matter.
Pros
Union
Cons
No employee cafe or place to get food
Great staff and very friendly.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYAugust 10, 2018
Good environment to work. Staff is willing to help when needed, everyone works well together. Often times it is short staffed and things can get a bit overwhelming but helping the patients is worth it.
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
Being short staffed sometimes but that never got me down. I did my job and did it well
I will not hesitate to encourage any qualified person to work for Western State Hospital.
Licensed Practical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 15, 2018
Western State Hospital is a great place to work despite having an outside reputation of housing dangerous patients. I like to work at WSH because great effort has been made and continues to make in order to reduce violence in the work place. I feel like another or other co-workers have my back that make me feel safe. The salary is satisfactory. Our union fights to gain a fair deal from the state. Workers in the same category get the same salary. WSH forms or recruits educator who trains staff on better care and mainly how to keep the work environment safe by increasing security for both employees and patients. On the wards staff members work together as a team. Management devises strategies to make wards safe for the staff and patients. Staff must be consistent in what is done for the patients. All is not easy especially when a patient becomes violent and must be retrained away from other patients. The most enjoyable part of the job at WSH is when a patient has done well in order to be discharged and integrated in the community. In conclusion, Western State Hospital is a fun place to work.
The worst
LPN Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 30, 2018
I went in bubbly and cheerful like I've always been and that place almost turned me into the monsters that 90% of the staff was. Breaks your spirit and u start losing yourself and your compassion. Empaths and spiritualy awakened individuals will not make it there. I had to get out before I become negative just like the entire place.
Benefits
Cons
Staff, patients, politics, environment, vibe is negative
Good benefits and good pay
Secretary Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 25, 2018
Working at WSH was an interesting experience. Must have a tough skin to work there. They pay well and have great benefits but there definitely is a culture that is unlike anything I have ever encountered. If you can let what other people say about you roll off your shoulders, it's a great place to work.
Western state
Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 6, 2018
I myself liked the job because I worked with great people who were on the same page as I. Only thing about the job was coming in & not knowing when a patient would act out.
Pros
Hour lunch, two 15 minute breaks, laid back job
Cons
Getting attacted, being short staffed
the worst part of the job
Psychiatric Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 6, 2018
You are expected to live there they mandate you and expect you to work basically around the clock and neglect your own family. The patients are great to work with however the management needs to learn how to treat staff the goal should be to make sure the patients needs are met but that is hard when staff is so overworked that they get no rest
Pros
great coworkers and helping patients great benefits
Cons
short breaks low pay and super long work hours
Not a bad place to work
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VAMay 2, 2018
As a part timer I do not have much of a problem here. Sometimes you have to work long hours and sometimes scheduling is not always done correctly, but the job is easy and the people are nice.