Western State Hospital Employee Review

View all Western State Hospital reviews

Do yourself a favor and stay away from WSH. Terrible place to work! You have been warned!
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staunton, VaMarch 23, 2014
Western State Hospital in Staunton, Va is a terrible place to work. Please do not let anyone tell you otherwise. It might not be so bad if you are an RN, or even an LPN, but the the nursing assistants get treated like dirt by the supervisors and by the administration. The job of working with psychiatric patients is difficult and dangerous enough, but supervisors, co-workers and administration make it much worse. The gossip among employees, as well as the backstabbing mentality of the employees is horrible. The scheduling of staff is completely inadequate, and as a nursing assistant you will be mandated to work overtime( mostly double shifts) to cover holes in the schedule. The hospital does not care if you have family obligations or not. Patient aggression is often escalated by some RNs, and employees get hurt as a result of this. Employees, especially RNs, are often bullied by their peers. The administration play favorites, and gossip about employees in an inappropriate manner. One Assistant Director of Nursing in particular is especially guilty. These are only a few issues. I could go on and on. I worked there as a nursing assistant for five years and had good evaluations consistently. There is also no chance for promotion.
Pros
State benefits if you get hired full time.
Cons
No job security, mandated overtime, dangerous situations, controlling and deceiving supervisors, no advancement

Other Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

professional job
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAApril 18, 2018
I am very enjoying my job there. There are many opportunities and chances to grow. Benefits are great and long you work you get better and better benefit.
I enjoyed my patient but didnt enjoy some of the staff to many chiefs and not enough indians
Patient aide 2 (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 16, 2018
Safe free environment , clean , lack of communication was bad with staff pass along report housekeeping was poor the 3rd shift did the cleaning and housekeeping got the praise for the building beig kept clean that wasnt right to take all the credit.