Western State Hospital Employee Review

View all Western State Hospital reviews

Fulfilling and rewarding.
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 29, 2014
High End data entry, I was in charge of 286 employee's Paychecks.
Input of over time, sick leave and personal leave accruals and adjustments as needed per pay period, Prepare fiscal reports, input information of new hires into DSHS Personnel systems. Enroll new hires into the Health Care Authority system and adjust current employee's changes to HCA. Answering a high volume of calls and E-mail's, Faxing, Scanning, and Copying. Maintain and update Filling, Inventory, Mailing and Database Systems.
being a Fiscal Tech 2 was very rewarding in many ways as I learned a great deal about communication, Time utilization, and Customer Service. I had approximately 15 co-workers whom I enjoyed seeing on a daily basis we, as Fiscal Tech's had a very stressful dedication to make sure our employee's payroll and leave compensations were completed accurately and by State deadlines. This at times would put high pressure in the office, but we all knew we would pull through as a team. The hardest part of being a Fiscal Tech at WSH would have been when a co-worker would call in for time off when it was close to payroll cut-off, this would cause us in the office to come together and make sure the absent person's payroll was completed before the State system locked us out. (Each FT was in charge of 250-300 employee's payroll)
The most enjoyable part of my job at WSH was the feeling of accomplishment twice a month every month, knowing my employee's were happy and they knew I would do what ever it took to get the job done accurately and on time every time and they appreciated it.
Pros
The bond with my Co-workers and Employee's, Meeting new employee's, Learning new things everyday because of State changes.
Cons
Non-Perm position.

Other Western State Hospital Employee Reviews

Stressful yet rewarding job
Psychiatric Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 18, 2018
The job is not stressful because of the patients, the job is stressful because of people who are either not qualified, incompetent, or like to complain about their job. I have learned an incredible amount working for WSH. There is a lot of drama. Not many supervisors are qualified to be a supervisor. If you are wanting to learn and have opportunities, I would highly recommend it. Keep your boundaries and you will do great!
Pros
Good pay, rewarding work, job security
Cons
management, constant scrutiny
Diverse Work Force
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 17, 2018
Good place to work, diverse workforce. The majority of the people who work at Western State Hospital truly care for the patient. At this time there were no opportunities for advancement in food service.