Western Washington University Employee Reviews

Culture of working at Western
Resident Adviser (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 10, 2019
I think there's a lot of burnout culture in Residence Life, but at the same time I feel that there is a lot of friendly competition that helps students grow as individuals. I think that there's a lot of positives working here at Western.
Unpredictable
Wilson Library Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 21, 2019
Very relaxed but unpredictable work environment, it is very fast pace at times. Great staff though. Very Hard working group of people overall. I don't mind coming to work.
Great students, trees
Professor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 3, 2019
Great students, beautiful campus. Clear route to advancement for faculty. It’s rare that anyone gets fired, but also rare for bad (even abusive) employees to be disciplined or fired. Work culture is competitive and toxic because of years of bad management and lack of resources. So many people are miserable, but hang on because they genuinely love to teach.
Pros
Students who want to learn and value their education. Trees! Clean air! Nature!
Cons
Chaotic, mindlessly competitive mentality toward resources, ugly office politics in nearly every department, high level of drama among faculty and staff, poor management in many administrative divisions, terrible salaries, no real effort to retain valuable employees
Run!
Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 2, 2019
I knew within the first week of being hired that this was a mistake. Co-workers don't trust newbies, especially if you are from a bigger city. They really don't trust anyone unless you have been in Bellingham, Washington all your life.

The university is run by a "good ole' boys" club. And the way they did things back in the early 1900's is the way they still do things. Ya, there is a little sarcasm there, but I have good reason to.

You have co-workers telling other employees that they are their boss. When you inform them who the chain of command really is, you are in their cross-hairs.

The pay is low, almost every department has a stench of narcissism and they make sure you don't succeed.
Pros
Friday at 5pm
Cons
See above.
Good place to work with limited advancement opportunities
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER/LEARNING SYSTEMS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 15, 2019
Overall WWU is a good place to work, but the cost of living in the local community, as well as limited opportunities for advancement, makes it more of a stepping stone than a place I would recommend for a career.
Hard Work
Collegiate Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 15, 2019
Running here is hard work and not really considered a job in my opinion. I'm having to fill out this review anyways. Any jobs on actual campus are not going to be applicable to what I do.
Great School
Capstone Project (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 24, 2019
I went to Western and loved it. The electrical engineering program is very challenging. There is a ton of hands on learning. The culture at western can be a little intense.
Pros
Hands on learning
Cons
Strong Opinions
Great Working Environment
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 6, 2019
As a teaching assistant at Western Washington University my roles included leading discussion seminars & study groups, hosting regular office hours, developing writing skills, grading essays & exams, Powerpoint preparation & presentation, and occasional lecturing duties.
I don't know
Border Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Canada HouseFebruary 5, 2019
We have yet to really start the fieldwork part of this job, this was just required so I am typing in words to get the word count up. Sorry if this wasn't useful
Excellent!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 26, 2019
Excellent! Too bad it was work study and it ended. I would have worked there my whole life if I could. Researching was fun and you are allowed to work from home. You felt like a part of the team when you were given your tasks and trusted to finish them on time.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Junior Vikings Director of Engagement (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 22, 2019
The community within this work environment is empowering, friendly, and dedicated. There are plenty of opportunities to grow in a persons’ personal and professional lifestyle. I highly recommend this community to anyone who is of interest.
Pros
Close community, MacBook provided, large work areas
Cons
Bellingham is a small city which is closed off by location
Good institution
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Wonderful school. Good culture of learning and mutual respect. The Psychology department is diverse and caters to many interests. Could not recommend any more highly.
Good job for a student working while taking classes
Academic Technology Computer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 6, 2019
Work came in waves as students left class. Had to learn a lot about our equipment fairly quickly before I was competent at the job. Lots of interaction with faculty and students, including those you work with. Great management while I was there.
Great for Students who needs a job while balancing University
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 26, 2018
This job was fantastic for connecting and getting involved in the community. It was low stress and fairly low paced. The year I worked, our manager was new and very hands off so that was frustrating but clearly not the norm. Highly recommend for students who need a little extra income while balancing classes, or even just someone looking for a social outlet for the community, you will certainly get to know your neighbors.
Pros
Fun, slow paced, low stress, community centered
Cons
Minimum wage
Productive place to work, good life balance, good pay, job security
Mail Processor Driver (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 17, 2018
I was so sad to leave my job.I work there 17 years and have fun. I learn a lot and I enjoyed working for Western Washington University.
I move to other state. That was best yob I ever have.
Pros
Security job all benefit good pay nice people
Disillustioned
Specialist, Diversity Recruitment & Retention (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WANovember 23, 2018
Unfortnately, my experience at WWU was not a good one. Once I was hired, I was surprised at the level of mistrust employees had of new hired personnel. Everyone worked for personal recognition rather than as a true team effort. While resources within a unit were available, they were not accessible for everyone. Expectation was for one to learn encrypted data systems on one's one and critized when mistakes were found rather than shown how to limit such errors.
Pros
working with students
Cons
distrustful staff
I left because I couldn't afford to pay a phone bill.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 17, 2018
It was supposed to be a 12 hour a week job and on paper it was however i sent 12 hours in working in the first few days of the week. I lived at my work so separation of work and personal space didn't exist. It ultimately lead to issues mentally and health wise.
Pros
Room, Board
Cons
Low pay, Poor Management, Mistreats Workers
Great place to work and amazing place to gain experience
Instructor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 16, 2018
Being an instructor assistant for communications is great. I have the chance to connect with Westerns communications instructors, and fellow students. It has given me more experience leading a classroom and grading assignments. It has given me an opportunity to connect with my students and help them better their public speaking abilities. Most of my students are freshman in college so I also help them get out of their comfort zones and get to know the campus more.
great work environment
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 30, 2018
Got projects to work on and was trusted to do my part without much supervision. I liked my time there because I felt independent and important. The most important thing I learned though was planning for the day which I feel much more confident about now.
Pros
trust
Cons
not a very social work environment
Productive workplace, strong teamwork ethic
Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 17, 2018
Friendly and collaborative working environment that places a high emphasis on interpersonal communication and teamwork. While the tasks and issues an employees are assigned to deal with can feel overwhelming and stressful at times, those with excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills have a multitude of opportunities in which to gain more experience in a higher-education environment, and truly excel in their position.
Pros
Work hours for students are scheduled around classes, Most administrative and support staff are extremely helpful
Cons
Dealing with the multitude of complex issues that the University faces can feel overwhelming