Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Employee Reviews

Politics
Principal Turbine Product Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMarch 24, 2019
Westinghouse was a very political organization and managers were very punitive to those subordinates that they didn't think fit their idea of employees
They have an HR department that is very good at finding ways to eliminate staff for bogus reasons
Pros
They did have a nice cafeteria
Cons
Everything was overpriced
Very Nice Work
36 Yrs CNC & Man Machinist Cert. (CAD) SolidWorks (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHMarch 23, 2019
I liked working there. Alot of pride in making the parts. But they failed to disclose the shape the company was in at the time I was hired. So I found out the hard way. 3 months after being hired I lost half my benefits. Also the only way to make OT money is to work 6 to 7 days a week. They have 3 shifts.
Pros
Great Work, Alot of pride into the parts and work there.
Cons
Very bad employee & Management Relationship
Heading Backwards
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAMarch 21, 2019
Working at Westinghouse is like trying to run up an escalator moving downward. Some days you may make a little positive headway, but the overall culture drives you down constantly at a steady unrelenting pace. A lot of people put their heads down and bear it, but I am learning it is better to lift your head and see if there are other escalators around that maybe are already heading upwards.
Pros
Flexible work locations
Cons
Broken entrenched corporate structure
A work environment unsure of where it is headed
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Stanton, PAMarch 21, 2019
This has turned into a place where everyone is looking over their shoulders waiting for layoffs to rear their head again. The company has been gutted but those that stuck around aren’t appreciated for doing so. Direct report managers have no appreciation for the work that their reports are putting in. Everything is an urgent rush being pushed through but engineering is told that their signature is their word and never to compromise quality for schedule.
Pros
Alternate work schedules like work from home or 9/80
Cons
Management does not look out for their employees; everyone is a number ready to be cut if need be
Great career there through many challenging times
Lead Financial Analyst - Nuclear Fuel Engineering (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Twp, PAMarch 19, 2019
I worked for this company for a long time. I experienced many organizational and cultural changes. The company finally began to recognize the importance of work with family life balance, and many employees telecommute now. These job culture changes were a long time coming since Westinghouse still operates in a "good old boys" networking environment. Lack of communication was prevalent, and safety emphasis 'overdone' at non-manufacturing sites. The people were fantastic, and always knowledgeable - some very distinguished talent there. Many of the managers were technically sound, but not effective managing their employees. It will be a challenge to perform all the work with fewer employees. Work here can be stressful. I do use many of my learned skills, HuP tools, everyday. I hope for the best under new owners..
Very inovative
Electronics Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  World WideMarch 13, 2019
Strong nuclear safety culture. Everyone is very professional. Pay is competitive, but be prepared to negotiate your worth. Extensive travel, with challenging yet rewarding work environments.
Pros
Good pay, very safe work environment
Cons
Possibly away from home for long periods.
Chapter 11 filing hurt reputation
Fabrication mechanic (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHFebruary 25, 2019
Poor management and bankruptcy filing in 2016 has not allowed rebound of work. Lots of lay offs and other plant closures within in different business units isn't promising.
Cons
Poor ins benefits, poor management
Can be a good company, but direction keeps changing
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAFebruary 24, 2019
Financial goals are more important than doing the best for the project or customer satisfaction. Overall a lot of good people work there though and try very hard. Management talks a good game but rarely follows that up by their actions.
No advancement
Technician (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 18, 2019
People were fun to work with. Management preaches about transparency, but a lot of people left in the dark about what is really going on. A lot of wasted tine and money.
Wish I had never resigned.
TOOLMAKER, ROTOR SHOP MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 15, 2019
Best job I have ever had in my life. Great pay, benefits, working conditions, great people to work with. Company truly cared for all employees. Many advancement opportunities. Wish all jobs were as enjoyable.
Pros
Too many to name
Cons
Too few to name
Fun place to work
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, GAJanuary 29, 2019
Safe and friendly company to work at . Good facility and friendly coworkers with good ethics and personality. Job location is drug free with a supportive management.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Very busy and under staffed
Global Customer Service Operations (Current Employee) –  New Stanton, PA 15672January 26, 2019
Westinghouse recently finished buildings no the first new models of nuclear power plants in China. I manage the spares business Between these 2 new customers and Westinghouse.
Pros
Very busy and profitable for Westinghouse
Cons
Language barriers and different business attitudes
Good place to work plagued by project and financial problems
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAJanuary 22, 2019
Layoffs, forced unpaid OT, untruthful upper management promises and bankruptcy have all negatively affected the workplace. Otherwise, interesting work and good place to develop technical skills if you're in the right group.
Westinghouse Review
Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJanuary 20, 2019
I believe this company is now owned by Northrop Grumman. I have nothing but good things to say about the company, their benefits and the people I was able to work with.
Challenging work, but leadership was improving
Technical Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 17, 2019
Bankruptcy challenged the company culture. Training was undervalued. Family oriented workplace. Too few staff to provide support for size of company. Enjoyed international travel.
Pros
Could work from home
Cons
Difficult business situation - too much work, not enough people
very great job just poor upper management
5.ADU Rod Loader Backup Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 14, 2019
Loved the job and the pay just disagree with the managements out look. very clean plant and facility with numerous opportunities just no guidance to achieve them
Pros
Pay
Cons
Upper Management
A great place to work, but not much level to advance
Tube Prep Team Coordinator/Backup Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, SCJanuary 9, 2019
A great place to work, but not much level to advance. It's a great start for a person coming out of high school and want to work a while to save up for college
Great pay and benefits. The management is extremely bad, I dread dealing dealing with them every day
Machinist III manual lathe and mill (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Been at Teco, Westinghouse for a while now working as a machinist 3... The guys I work with are some of the best machinist I've ever met. The Insurance and benefits beat all places I've ever worked before. The bad part of the company is the management and we are way understaffed. We work 7days a week most times.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Management, and to much overtime
No comment
3D Model Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2019
Bad managers from top to bottom. Would not listen to unique ideas or entertain new software solutions. If management liked your suggestions for improvement they would not implement or would take the credit for your suggestion.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Westinghouse focuses on new technology
Hydraulic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 22, 2018
Westinghouse focuses on new technology and encourages its engineers to work toward a solution for the customers.
Excellent relationship with United States government where a lot of the work was generated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight