Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 14, 2018
Challenging and rewarding experience where you are able to utilized leadership skills in building and managing a team on a daily basis within a regulated environment.
good
Full time employed (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2018
Westinghouse is a good company, been working with them for over 7 years, both as a contractor and a direct hire.

Westinghouse is world wide, many different positions.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my years at Westinghouse.
Chemical Laboratory Inspector/Technician (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, SCAugust 7, 2018
Working at Westinghouse had been a blessing. Training and education always was encouraged and available. Advancement or job changes were attainable through bid slips.
Productive and fun workplace with quality IT professionals
Infrastructure IT Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 7, 2018
Productive and fun workplace with quality IT professionals. Employees were able to cross train in various areas of IT as well as infrastructure in order to create a more versified IT force.
Pros
health care
Cons
limited breaks
Too Many Layers of Management
Planning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAAugust 4, 2018
I worked for Westinghouse for over 5 years. When I started, it was a tremendous company to work for, with an embarrassment of riches as we just started working in what was supposed to be the new golden age of nuclear energy.

During my time there, I worked with a lot of good people, many of whom were hard working and driven to succeed for the good of the company. The people I got to work with were really top notch and excellent, and they were my favorite part of working there.

Salary and benefits were good when I was there, not sure what it's like now, but it was one of the best places in the area when I worked for them, hands down.

However, the company didn't do a good job with training new employees to replace the ones who were getting ready to retire and had a propensity to hire back retired employees as contractors, so there was no incentive for retiring employees to share information.

Management was also top heavy. There were five layers of management before you got to the people who actually worked there, and this caused many issues where things were being said but not properly conveyed either up or down the organizational charts.

In the time that I was there, I also had 12 different managers, ones that ranged from incredibly competent and great to work for to others that had no business being in the position they held. The company loved to reorganize things every so often (they said yearly, but it was closer to every 7 months) that goals and targets were continually moving depending on who was in charge of your group.

By the end of my time there,
  more... I no longer enjoyed working there, but my experience is my own, and you will get people who certainly felt differently than I did. I understand since the layoffs a few years ago that it doesn't have much stability anymore, and that it's pretty much a revolving door of new employees who work there for a time, and then move on to something more stable. It's unfortunate that a company so great has fallen so much.  less
Pros
Salary, benefits, wellness program, people
Cons
Top-heavy management, misinformation, change for the sake of change
Big company with many divisions
Materials manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 27, 2018
Worked for 2 divisions. First for the industrial fan division and then for the relay division. These were very formative years for me as I was exposed to many state of the art processes.
The company went bankrupt.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJuly 25, 2018
The company went bankrupt. Not a good company. Westinghouse purchased CB&I and things went downhill from there. One of our major construction sites was abandoned which in turn caused the loss of work for thousands of employees.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not enought work
Exciting Place To Work With Many Challenges
Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, SCJuly 24, 2018
A constant challenge for engineering. Numerous opportunities to plug in and support the plant. Strongly focused on Safety Culture. Strong configuration control management program to insure chnages are adequately reviewed.
Pros
Great vacation time benefits
Cons
Plenty of Work for each individual
Terrible Management, couldn't run or develope a schedule to save their life....or Company I should say!
Sr. 3D Designer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 24, 2018
Westinghouse needs to clean house from the CEO all the way to department managers and most of department lead engineers. Most of not all of the management I came across has no idea how to design or construct a table, let alone a new age nuclear power plant. Many of us with 20+ years experience where constantly criticized and lashed out at when ask "how, in our experience and opinion, could the design process be better". When we, as a group, would offer our knowledge or concerns......we were beat down verbally by our department lead. When asked about schedules, in 2.5 years, one was never produced. Most of the work needed to be checked and checked again due to the nature of what we were designing, but the comment we always heard was "we'll do a DCN and catch it on the revisions"! Be mindful, no one of these drawings/designs were never been initially issued. Again, rather than management knowing how engineering design is done, they have no idea how to design.....all the way to the CEO!!
Pros
Cons
Management, Lack of schedule, job security
games like soft ball, tennis and other games among colleagues encouraged.
Windsor, CT., working as consultant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJuly 19, 2018
Work involved meetings with fellow engineers discussing the on going projects finding solutions to problems and seeking advice in how best to complete the project works and meeting with clients and listening to them and working to satisfy their objectives.
Pros
Meetings included meeting with clients and taking them to lunches, dinners etc.
Cons
Not much, nothing worth mentioning.
entry level job
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2018
This is a decent role to get started in the field. Many recent changes in the company, management and goals. Difficult industry at the present time.
Was considerate of the busy lives of their employees
System Integration Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJuly 16, 2018
The company allowed for a stress free environment, with multiple options to aid in your 'out of workplace' life, including; daycare. gym, pnc bank, mail room, cafeteria, game room.
Just okay
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
The job was decent. If your looking for a decent enviorment then this is for you. They people are nice but some of the staff were messy and rude. Chose wisely
Pros
Employee Moral
Cons
short breaks
I was thankful to work at one company for 30 years
Senior Web Specialist/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJuly 12, 2018
I enjoyed and learned a lot in my 30 years at Westinghouse. I was an excellent employee and enjoyed my job. In the last couple of years the company was not the greatest to work for. After my 30 years my position was eliminated.
Pros
Was a nice company to work for
OK place to work.
Production Control Aide (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJuly 10, 2018
It was an OK place to work. Very repetitive work, and I could go for days without speaking to anyone, just do the work. It does have a nice cafeteria with plenty of options. Authorized up to 50 hours. When worked slowed they laid off lots of people, only to need to go hire a bunch of people back a few months later when it work increased again.
technology
Project Manager Commercial Director (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 5, 2018
cutting edge technology with long record of advances. Good program for you engineers and scientists. Top facilities for management and nuclear technology. Looking ahead to future opportunities in power generation.
Pros
travel
Cons
hires from within office positions
Great Company
Software Developer/ Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 29, 2018
I was running a small project to provide access to a digital document library. I had great access to the technology and we provided the team with a system in remarkable time. The company was pleased and it was great experience for everyone.
Pros
Alot of freedom in your design
Bankrupt
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Newington NhJune 28, 2018
Westinghouse are in chapter 11 Laying off no more pension no more severance package cl icky management your just a number. No future here people look else where for security
Pros
Cons
Layoff at any time now
Westinghouse
Project Manager/Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJune 26, 2018
I loved working for Westinghouse. It had a fantastic training program and provided me with excellent mentoring. Management was an example to all the employees. It was a wonderful experience.
challenging
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Newington, NHJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed my job but the company was very poorly managed, I loved the challenge of moving extremely heavy component's with fork trucks of various weight capacity's.
Pros
operating overhead cranes, learning new ways to rig
Cons
managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight