Westrock Employee Reviews

Found 1,310 reviews matching the search See all 1,412 reviews
Just retired, will never look back.
Finishing Technician (Former Employee) –  Kimball, TNOctober 11, 2018
I worked for WestRock for over 30 years and they treated me and every other employee I knew as if we were expendable numbers. I don't know why I expected at least an acknowledgement from management that I was retiring, when I received nothing more than a final paycheck. I would not recommend anyone start a career at this company. It changed ownership multiple times while I was there, and the management only ever got worse. My department received a Christmas ham every year as a "bonus". The fact that it was a pork product speaks to the lack of diversity and culture of upper management and the region we live in. Not all religions eat pork-- in 2018, for a company of 10000 employees, it feels tone-deaf to the outside world. I'm glad I'll never have to set foot on their premises ever again.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
poor management, felt invisible unless something was wrong, lack of bonuses
Great Place for Long Term Work
Packaging Designer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2018
WestRock is a great place if you're looking to stay with a company for your career. There are opportunities for advancement and a willingness to educate and train employees. Management is typical for a big company, mostly it depends on your plant. I've had a range of managers from horrible to amazing. I'm grateful to them for giving me a chance right out of college and have learned so much the last seven years. But the most enjoyable part for me has been the people. Having good coworkers around you helps when work is stressful and incredibly busy, and during the lulls when not much is coming in.
Pros
401K Match and Yearly 401K Bonus, Stock Options, Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off
Cons
Variance of time off and lunch between hourly and salary employees, production floor is treated as the most important sometimes to the disregard of other departments
Competitive and corporate...
Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, ILOctober 1, 2018
Was very impressed with the benefits, I don't think you will find another company other than a union that will give you better benefits than Westrock, the management and and HR were some of the most professional people I have ever worked with. Though I felt a little insecure due to the competitiveness of the business my time there at the company was short-lived. again as a truck driver I believe it's one of the better companies out there right now I'm just not a big fan of the corporate structure.
Benefits
Cons
Another Corporate conglomerate
Modern Fortune 200 company
Folding Group (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 8, 2018
Great people. Great atmosphere. Modern company. Limited opportunities for advancement. Good pay. Strong culture. Some managers do not develop their employee's futures very well. The employee needs to determine their own goals, then ask for the proper training. Employee reviewing system could use some work. There seems to be no correlation between performance and compensation.
Pros
401K matches, great healthcare packages, bonus packages
Cons
Home office located in difficult place to reach
Good compensation, poor career opportunities
Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2018
WestRock is a growing and profitable company but because of it's acquisitions is constantly eliminating positions to create synergies, which leaves little opportunity for advancement. Those that do advance must have investment banking experience rather than operational experience. The pay is good, but the hours are long with lots of nights and weekends.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
lack of opportunity, long hours, poor location
Terrible place to work for
Operator (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 17, 2018
Management makes it not work the time at all, they do not know how to task properly, they lack motivation, terrible at advancements. Not work the pay due to management
Pros
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, benefits suck, zero advancement, training was pointless
Wishful thinking
Global Travel & Expense Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 14, 2018
While I enjoyed working with my team, the over all management style beyond my manager was petty and vindictive. They talked a good game about corporate culture and work life balance, but when you tried to integrate concepts into your work life you were shot down.
I loved my team, but over all I wouldn't recommend WestRock as a place to work.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Do as I say and not as I do culture
Competitive
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PA 17603November 19, 2018
This job is very competitive with a lot of hard work there room for advancement and good possibilities.

Collaborative effort in working with a group setting.
Regular office meetings in health we can improve in our service and business
Pros
Good sick days good vacation days
Cons
Management can you some work
Hot physical work for 12 hour shifts
Papermaker (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 16, 2018
Hard work, hot and humid conditions, long hours, greedy management taking benefits for higher profits. "Wal-Mart of the paper industry" hourly pay is decent but not keeping up with cost of living
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor medical, Working holidays, lack of maitnenace makes job harder and dangerous
No life
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 25, 2018
Your work long hours......looooong hours. Managements don't have a clue what they are doing. No personal life outside work, very little family time. Good job with a single person with no responsibilities. Benefits are not that good but pay is decent....especially with all the overtime. They don't really care about their workers here.
Terrible Place To Work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2018
Once we had a change of management, literally everyone ended up quitting. Management is terrible and corporate wont seem to do anything about it. It's a tiny facility that attempts to run like a massive facility. Thousands of tons of material come in each day and is expected to be processed and go out that same day. The work load is excessive and the overtime is never ending. If you're unable to keep up with the work or management constantly riding you, you'll be written up and get a "talking to." Thats until you eventually quit.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor wages, never ending overtime.
Great company, however the site I worked at was the worst.
Press Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAMarch 10, 2018
The company WestRock as a whole is a good company (Corporate, HR, etc.) However, the site/plant management (where I actually worked)...smh..is not a reflection of the company.
Very unprofessional. Favoritism (Merits are based on how much butt you kiss). The culture at this site was terrible. Basically a good ole boy environment. Everyone wants to be a chief, but doesn't know what a chief is. Ppl basically do what they want and management allows it. I left on my own accord and would not recommend working there unless you just don't know any better.
Pros
Benefits are good compared to most companies.
Cons
12hr days on your feet all day, Management from the top down is clueless and unprofessional, No advancement unless you like kissing butt, breaks are hard to come by
Very good place to work.
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Forest City, NCJune 7, 2018
The best company I ever worked for. Typical eight hour shift some mandatory overtime. The hardest part of the job was the overtime being away from your family. The workplace culture wasn’t bad but I had a lot of colleagues that have been there for quite some time and they were kind of stubborn and in their ways. Overall a fantastic job and I regret leaving. Upper management great and involved
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks and over time
Sign your life away to work here.
General Laborer/ (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNNovember 6, 2018
Talking to management (plant manager) about workplace issues was like talking to a brick wall.

Non stop overtime, hours changing daily. Lots of saturdays worked, usually don't find out for sure until Thursday afternoon.

Poor work culture from the ground up.

Short staffed all the time.
Pros
Decent wages, lots of overtime
Cons
Rotating shift, lots of overtime, lot of saturdays worked
A fast paced enviroment
GRAPHIC/PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Compensation/Benefits alone with workplace cultures are really nice. If there is a personal problem management will work with you.
The hardest part of being employed here is sometimes advancement can be very slow.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Lunch breaks are only 20 minutes
too many hours
Line Leader (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMay 15, 2018
westrock works too many hours 9-10 hour days plus sat and sundays. you have no life outside of there. you are too tired to do anything. the benefits are good. the hourly pay is ok but they raised us all to the same amount doesnt matter how long you worked there. then gave us small raises to seperate us. the management has no idea what to do and how to do it. they are far behind on all the jobs and then work you to death to make up for it
Pros
alot of money if you want to work 6 7 days aweek
Cons
no life
Poor Management
Flatpack/Sorter -Inspector (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCMarch 12, 2018
Poor management. They do not follow through with plans. All employees are rated together. If one person does something wrong; they do not address the issue with that person but include ALL employees. Good employees are treated just like the less efficient ones. If you do not go along with the managements ideas or voice your opinion about an idea; they say you are being negative. Not much chance for advancement. There is a BIG difference between the office staff/management and the production floor. This is the first place I have ever worked that management/ office staff think they are better than the production employees. Different rules apply to that side of the wall
Pros
4 on 4 off days are good. Pay is good benefits are ok
Cons
Stressful, hard work, no input on your job, competive and cutthroat enviroment
Culture and company has changed.
Sales Project Manager - Display Group (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 19, 2018
Good group of people in general . Lack of management through out the division. Good 401k match. Hardest part of the job was accountablity of others lack of support from managers. Work place culture was good. Company overall has gone through changes and it used to feel like the company cared. Now it feels like you are just a number. Could improve moral and team building .
Pros
Benefits flexible with work schedule for appointments good 401K match
Cons
lack of management, not much room for growth.
Was good place to work while it lasted.
Machinery Lubrication Technician (Former Employee) –  Coshocton, OHFebruary 6, 2018
Decent pay and benefits, fast pace work in operations. overall co-workers were competent and could be fun place to work. Frustrating and challenging at times when paper machines not running well. RockTenn and Mead Westvaco merged to form this company. Got too big and put an X through Coshocton mill even though we were consistently profitable and high safety awards for the work being done. Closed quickly after merger even though we were one of a few mills that had a pulp mill, not all recycle. Don't think top management thought this through. But they control enough of the market to close us and raise the price of medium paper. Supply and demand.
Pros
Mostly good people in both union and company, decent benefits.
Cons
Work schedule was horrible, no work life balance.
Well paid, but to many hours
Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 19, 2018
They will work everyone 72 hours a week and expect it week after week. They will work you 4/6 Saturdays, and the union can not do any thing to stop them. Management was promoted by a friend of a friend all the way up, machines were old and beaten. Maintenance was poor, facility upkeep was poor, working conditions were poor, the culture was horrid and unsafe, yet they claim to be "safe"
Pros
paid for all breaks
Cons
everything about the job except pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westrock. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Westrock.

Powered by Comparably