Westward Seafoods Inc. Employee Reviews for Processor

Ratings breakdown
challenge jobs in the warehouse
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKApril 4, 2018
alot of frozen fishes and cut all the fishes to removes all the organs
Lifting more than 40 lbs
time management
many hours of work to complete all the work done.
Pros
Good hours of works
Cons
not enough to rest to get full energy
Work, work
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Unalaska, AKApril 3, 2018
Food and laundry service was great.completed contract. Paycheck was handed to me every time. Bunk bed was provided. Paid for the flights to and from the airport because I completed the Contract., Working for your paycheck.
Pros
Money back when contract complete.
Cons
Unknown hours
bad location
Processor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKMarch 26, 2018
working in Alaska takes someone that likes working long hours 12 hours a day 7 days a week so very little time for your self cold in the winter time.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
Dutch harbor Alaska
Working was the only good this about the place
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKMarch 25, 2018
Everyday all day long just unloading freezers after freezers not stop and nothing else, no opportunity to go to other departments to learn other areas and have a little variety.
Work like a robot 24/7
Processor (Former Employee) –  Unalaska, AKFebruary 13, 2018
A typical day at WSI/ASI lots of work lots of clean up.
What i learned is that i need to keep my cool more then often.
Management, well i believe it could be a better company if Manager would get more involved with the little people.
Workplace Culture, simple routine, routine, routine
Hardest part of the job, clean up and getting screamed at.
Most enjoyable part of the job, $2,000 + dollars Net payday.
Pros
Save a good chunk of money
Cons
Not for people who can't live with out their Family.
I really enjoyed working for there company...
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKFebruary 12, 2018
I think they could improve on the way they transport there workers back and forth to work....a few more breaks....a buffet style dinning area for the employees...
Pros
Really good money can be made there...if you work more hours
Cons
Cold...wet....long hours...you half to pace yourself ....otherwise..you will quit
Work expirenence
processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKDecember 19, 2017
The plant is on the island of Dutch Harbor, Alaska. Everything paid for. Repetitive work might be an understatement. It's an experience but not too many would leave there state to work for Alaska's minumum wage. The hours made up for it since we were working 12 plus hours, 7 days a week. Overall not too bad if you can handle the hours. Since everything is paid for you come home with all your savings from the season.
Pros
save paychecks
Cons
By the hour vs by the catch
Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKOctober 17, 2017
Old Schoolers will tell you truthfully: Never pay to get a job in this industry, and never take an hourly wage. If you don't get a %, you are being robbed.
Daily room and board?!? Hey, they need you. The fish won't pack itself.
Say what, minimum wage? Get on a boat. Daily wage or %, whicheveis worth more that day of work, and you won't get charged to be there.
This industry used to pay $110/day in the off season, $250 during peak, why are you wasting your time on the shore?
Pros
Food and housing in a frozen wasteland with only one way home.
Cons
Frozen wasteland and only one way home.
Loved working here!
PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKJuly 16, 2017
the job was easy and fun! Made very good money! long hours but it went by so fast, the company is also amazing! && being in Alaska was just so beautiful! I would love to go back.
was not very fun to work at
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKJune 27, 2017
Did not have a good experience, management was not nice, very rude, also environment was very bad. Had to fly there, the hours were good as well as the money, but everything else not good.
The Real Truth About the company
Processor (Former Employee) –  AlaskaMay 28, 2017
listen this is the truth i will be very honest with you

Work level : not hard dont believe when people say its hard work its not really that hard its simple jobs but only hard part is dealing with people over you sometimes and the long hours { if you get the hours)

pay: not good if you live in the us.. sometimes no work but even if you do work its most of the time its 12 hours and your basically getting 600$ a week for 84 hours u might get alittle more you might get alittle less depending on the situation... its always slow at some points to... over time for a season happpens but only for like a month and most of the times you cant do it every day because they got groups....b season no over time its get slow half of the season

i personally got 5.5k for almost 4 months i even did alot of over time as well ... most people got 5-6k for the season which pretty low

side note: dont think you just gonna save all your money because its gonna be some ways where u gonna spend money sometimes too as well most people dont even up with much

management: sometimes good sometimes bad watch out for the lack of communication its terrible at times

food: not that good

Cheapness: they give you cheap stuff to go to work with the boots are terrible..

overall this not a good place to work the people who work here for years will tell u lies when you first get there because they loyal to the company... they will complain during the season but for some reason they come back because they feel like they have nowhere else to go or get close to co workers

im not bashing the
  more... company its alright but dishonesty you will get alot of  less
Pros
some good co worker
Cons
lies, pay
job environment that follow regulation and safety
Seafood processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKFebruary 28, 2017
safety conscious and federal and state regulation conscious.
has provided quality control and safety officer in every shift of operation
Hey Its a Job.
Case­Up Operator/Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKSeptember 3, 2016
Tough Place to be. work hard and get paid very little. My managment experiance was good. respectful bosses. but i havnt heard the same from everyone i worked with. HR was hit and miss
Pros
save money
Cons
Dutch Harbor Alaska
Very Hard Work
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKMarch 4, 2016
Very long Hours no days off lack of leadership very hard to understand because the leaders did not speak English very well
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No days off
Very productive Great Leaders
Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKFebruary 2, 2016
I loved working in the Case up section of Westward Seafoods. The leads were very helpful and friendly and you really felt like part of the team. The work was hard but you felt good about it because it proved how dedicated and determined you were. my favorite part about it was the steady pace with work so that you could get in the zone and time flew by.
Pros
decent food, great company
Cons
cold work, sometimes wet
teamwork/hardwork
PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKJanuary 31, 2016
some are difficult work, some are not... a very strict management.. enjoy working with others in easy job... be friendly at all times...
Pros
free meals
fun working place
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 9, 2015
i have been working these companies both are very good i will
Recommend every one to work these company really are nice comp
Long hours, hard work but pretty good money...
Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKMarch 11, 2015
During my time as a Processor we worked 12 to 18 hours a day, no weekends, no days off for 4 or 5 months at a time. The schedule is strict, safety code highly enforced and working conditions are minimal. What you do and where you work can change at any minute and without notice and as a Processor I was expected to adapt and keep up with the fast pace regardless if I'd done the job before or not. My daily position had me working in a freezer system, breaking thousands of 30lb solid bricks of fish fillets out of a floating plate freezer and moving them onto a conveyor belt, working heavy machinery to remove the bricks of fish from their metal casing, packaging and stacking the finished product on a pallet. Some of my other duties included gutting, organ sorting, weight control, size and quality sorting, general dock work, scaling, conveyor maintenance, and overall clean up.
Seafood Processor
Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKNovember 10, 2014
I was excited to come to a seafood plant, but that all ended after two weeks of working there. After first signing on I was told to think of this as a family, but when I wanted to ask question it was clear this was no family what so ever. My stomach was hurting for two weeks because of the food, but I decided to tough it out and even though I did a great job I wasn't giving an review that reflected that and even there's no way I would ever come back here I'm just glad the experience is OVER.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Food, people, and the enivronment
This job was factory-type work with long hours, 6-7 days/wk.
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKMarch 10, 2014
A typical day was twelve hours on your feet doing repetitive work. I learned patience. The management team was very safety orientated and truly cared for the workers' welfare. My co-workers were dedicated and hard-working people. The hardest part of the job was the same as the easiest part of the job--constant repetitive work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie of the crew...we were all in the same boat and doing our job.