Westwood One Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
They take good care of their employees
Affiliate Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
This company has gone through a lot of changes in the past 5 years and I have witnessed and learned so much. I am very happy with my experience and roles within the company. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Not much direction
Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2018
The work can be fun and simple, and there are some truly amazing people working for the company. Unfortunately there is too much uncertainty surrounding the future of the company itself. The company has been bought and sold a couple of times now.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
little career advancement, no job security
Traffic Coordinator
Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2017
I have to fill inventory for the shows that I'm assigned for the following week. I have to make sure there are no conflicts in the spots I place within the shows I manage.
Payroll Clerk
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDMay 11, 2017
Weekly and Bi Weekly payroll, none union employees and part time employee and fill in employees. Answering calls regarding paycheck tax, etc. Printing out spreadsheets and making sure all hours are correct
Benefits
Cons
Commute
Was there at the wrong time
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2017
For me, I was hired at a time when the company was being taken over. My employment there didn't last long, as I saw what was going on behind the curtain. Happy I got out when i did.
A changing culture for the good
Producer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 5, 2016
Westwood One has been undergoing changes over the past year, with its new CEO. Having worked both under the old regime and the new one, I have seen a lot of positive changes in the company.

A typical day at work for me involves preparing for a show and putting the show on the air. I have great co-workers that I work well together with in order to achieve our goal of putting a great product on the air.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that there are millions of people listening to what I helped to create on a daily basis, and they enjoy the product. It's very rewarding.
no room for growth
Affidavits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2016
There is no room for growth, compensation is embarrassingly low. There was never anything challenging or to better yourself as an employee
Strict guidelines
Cumulus Dallas, TX- Program Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 6, 2016
The company is inflexible on its corporate rules and guidelines and runs on The Walmart Principle of, "How will we know your limits unless we push you to them."
Budget cutbacks require extreme mulit-tasking for managers and working with a bare bones (almost non existent) staff.
Great Place
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLJanuary 9, 2016
My time and experience with Westwood One,

was on the best experience i ever had. The work experience was a challenge because it was a Traffic Information Call Center.

The pay was one of the best, starting at $10.00 an hour plus after 6 months bonus and pay increase from 10 to $11.00 an hour.

The over all the company left because the contract expired.
Pros
Pay, Bonus and Work
Cons
The company contract expired
Great assets - but going through major transition
VP / Strategic Partnerships (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Great media platforms. Great people, but leadership was undergoing severe challenges, including CEO replacement.

Westwood One CEO was fun, and engaged. Sales team is fantastic. Support is undermanned - so one needs to be self-sufficient.
Pros
World class assets
Cons
Constant change
A sad case indeed.
Multiple Radio Show Host - Voice Tracked (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2015
Many different owners, some better than others.

The last owners were just awful. Apparently out to single handedly destroy the radio business. They have SOME good ideas, but do not know how to implement. Cost cutting is what they do best. They couldn't care less about employees. Previous owners were better, but what does it matter?

I didn't see any co-workers. We worked different shifts. A typical work day consisted of recording two different radio shows (going back and forth with different systems), and speaking constantly for several hours.

They fired all the local DJ's and are now making other DJs in the company do triple their previous work load.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Excessive workload
No opportunity for advancement, no merit increases
Music Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 29, 2015
With the purchase of Westwood One by Cumulus two years ago things have gone down hill fast. Management sacrificing customer service and quality in favor of stock prices (which have also tanked), zero merit increases, continually asked to take on more and more work without additional compensation. Employee cost of benefits have increased and annual deductible has shot sky high.

The best part of working at WWO was my team, great people who all worked together to create competitive products for our affiliate stations.
Cons
management, comparable low salary, high deductible health insurnace
Ok company
Westwood One (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2015
It has been bought and sold a few times since I left, so I can't say either way. It's a good company, but has very little money.
Productive organization with poor communication
Producer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2015
Odd hours are standard in the industry, but constant work is the norm here. No home time, combined with bad pay and an offer for full time that was then revoked on zero basis leads to a poor advancement score.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Untrustworthy management, poor pay, poor work/life balance
Great Place To Start Your Career in Broadcast Radio
Affiliate Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 2, 2015
A typical day as an affiliate services representative involves fixing pledge times and interacting with radio stations. The affiliate services team is a phenomenal group of individuals from the top down. You will feel at home and the process of fitting in is extremely easy as everyone comes from different backgrounds and we are able to work together as a team. Definitely has a family atmosphere about it.
Pros
Easy Job to get your feet wet in a coorporate atmosphere
Cons
Salary is low compared to other entry level jobs
Metro Who?
Senior Q.A. Analyst/Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Galleria AreaNovember 10, 2014
Metro Networks, the New York based traffic reporting company was acquired by Westwood One in 1999 and then the company changed hands again in 2011 where it was purchased by Clear Channel Communications and was moved to California. I was fortunate enough to have worked for them in the good days through the not-so-good days. I worked in the Accounting department for 9 years and was eventually moved into I.T. where I stayed for 2 years until the department I was working in was moved to California. I was not interested in uprooting my family and moving from Texas.

All of the management staff were top notch and there was not a day I regret having spent around them. I often longingly remember back to my early days at Metro Networks. It is possibly the best corporate job I have ever held for an extended length of time. There were nothing but the cream of the crop working there.

It hardly felt like work because I enjoyed the work and my fellow co-workers so much. Everything about it was fantastic.
Pros
Cons
The company moved to California
Great Place To Work If You Are Social.
Affiliate Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2014
I enjoyed my time. Management was amazing however the Salary is not a living wage.
Pros
Cons
Salary
Daily fire drill
Vice President of Finance (Former Employee) –  220 West 42nd, New York, NY 10036August 12, 2014
Typical day of work consisted with meetings, followed by cash forecasting, wire transfer, bank/lender calls and equity/investor calls.

Managed day to day accounting functions that include:
1) Accounts Payable
2) Accounts Receivable
3) Cash Management/Treasury
4) Fixed Assets
5) Payroll

On quarterly basis, board presentations, loan covenant reporting, 12-month rolling forecast and quarterly audit review.

On annual basis, budgeting and auditing.
Pros
NFL press passes
Cons
Extremely long hours for the finance team
Just merged with WWO
Contract Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TxJuly 10, 2014
I am left in the dark. I fear for my job status. Another lay off today. Walking on eggshells daily. I am so stressed it makes me physically ill.
Pros
I still get a paycheck
Cons
I can't find another job fast enough
Work environment
Web Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 9, 2014
Mulitple buy offs and mergers, management changes. Very unstable job environment in recent years.