WGBH Employee Reviews

Development: Major Gifts Research
Major Gifts Internship (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAOctober 21, 2019
I truly enjoyed interning at WGBH. The people that work in the Development Department were helpful and kind. I had the opportunity to meet and work with people that worked in Research, Major Gifts, Events and Annual Giving. This helped me find what perks my interest and make a career. I would highly recommend interning at WGBH.
The management treat you like step children
Executive Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 22, 2019
They don't support the staff and this is an extension office of WGBH. The director from Boston is a bully and doesn't know how to treat the employees like people or manage the office efficiently.
Intern
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2019
As an intern here I enjoyed my experience. The production internship was very hands on, and the learning opportunities were unmatched. Best internship i've had in terms of experience.
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 3, 2019
Unfortunately, people stay too long and that affects their ability to maintain their spark.
Pros
Loved working in TV production of documentaries
Cons
There was no mobility.
It was a good first intern.
Finance and Membership Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2018
I learned about non-profit functions as a whole. People were nice and the culture was good. However it was a little too laid back for me. I prefer to work in a more competitive environment.
Decent company but digital marketing needs help
Email Developer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAOctober 9, 2018
A lot about pleasing clients and not employees. Don't think about logistics when increasing workload. Communication used to be better but has broken down in this department.
Pros
Monthly speakeasys with free food, Meetups with updates on new programs and such, become a member where you get discounts
Cons
Low pay, not much growth, management not that great or believable
Great Experience
Director, Digital and Social Media (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2018
Loved working here. Important institutions. Evolving public media takes time and patience. Lots more to do. Incredibly dedicated and creative people working there.
Good work place
Case Management Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 24, 2018
Advocate support and counseling for individuals and families who are experiencing psycho/ social/ medical problems or crisis.
Develop discharge care plans for patients and families
Implement referrals to community resources.
Rehabilitation Planning working with: admissions, interdisciplinary team, conference planning, Goal assessment, and D/C planning/ length of stay committee
Crisis Counseling
Exciting, fast paced environment
Freelance Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 19, 2018
Both stations were great to work for. As a freelancer, your schedule is always in flux with times of business, and times of not being needed. This could be stressful, but I enjoyed working at both stations.
A great place to work
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 14, 2018
I was only there for a few months as a temporary administrative assistant but I greatly enjoyed my time there. Everyone I met was nice and it's a more relaxed working environment than a big corporation or for profit television studio. My colleagues were very helpful and welcoming.
business operations
Business office (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2018
Non profit organization located on the Boston area. Very complex job that required attention to detail. A lot of new people in the department within the past 2 years
Fun job with good experience
Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAJune 11, 2018
This was another job I did for credit. This was more directly related to a class because their was an onsite Emerson professor, but still considered an internship. I had a lot of fun working on the TV show Sing That Thing! and it was really cool to see my work on TV when the show premiered.
Fantastic TV shows, but terrible management
Digital (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2018
If you're interested in broadcast or digital content, WGBH should be among the most attractive employers in New England, as they produce some of the biggest names in public media: NOVA, Frontline, Masterpiece, and others. Unfortunately while those specific production units are good places to work, the same can't be said of the general management, which is equal parts incompetent and backstabbing. There's a reason the station is still resting on its laurels from 30+ years ago: all of the employees tasked with innovation have fled. Managers regularly play favorites, and the executive team is utterly incapable of leading the station through the coming digital revolution. If you see a job with one of the big national TV shows, go for it, but if it's in radio, local production, digital, fundraising, or other departments, run away fast.
Welcoming environment
Volunteer & Marketing Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAMarch 12, 2018
I was only an intern at WGBH but it was such a great work environment to be in. Everyone said hi to you as you walked by even if they didn't know you. The people that worked there were always enthusiastic and supportive of one another. Couldn't of asked for a better place to gain experience in and meet a lot of wonderful people.
Creative and exciting environment
Television & Radio Archives Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 10, 2018
I worked there for 9 years and moved to many different depts and positions. This is not a place to go if you want to earn big salaries but the benefits are excellent. I loved the people and culture there. This was by far the best place I've ever worked and I've never been able to find the same kind of people and culture anywhere else. I made friends for life there, got to do so many fun/interesting things, and got to meet so many fascinating people there. Colleagues supported one another even through important life events. It may have changed since I worked there because most of the management has changed since I've been there but I'd still encourage people to work there.
Pros
Culture, people, creativity, great benefits
Cons
Low salaries and lack of advancement
Excellent place to learn
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2018
WGBH has an enormous amount of resources, so if you are young and curious about the world, I'd highly recommend applying. I learned so much from the producer I worked under.
Ideal internship and wonderful place to work
Intern in Corporate Sponsorship & Media Archives (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2018
I was lucky enough to have internships in two departments at WGBH.
I was given opportunities to be independent as well as to work collaboratively with a team. I was able to be creative as well as learn new processes and procedures. My supervisors were friendly, welcomed me and were very encouraging as they arranged several informational interviews for me to learn about different aspects of WGBH. I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to work and learn at WGBH.
Fun Summer Television Production atmosphere
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2018
Final Season (2004) of ZOOM. June-Aug worked on production site as Nurse providing triage, 1st-Aide, medication administration, conducted on-site counseling, facilitated racial dialogue for middle school age cast members and production crew.
Pros
Working with the cast and crew was MEGA fun!
Cons
It was the recording of the final season.
Wgbh
Employee Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MAJanuary 8, 2018
WGBH has many dedicated professionals working hard to create wonderful programming. There were those, however, who were stuck in the old ways and were slow to grasp the ways technology were changing the industry.
Great place to work but management is poor
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MADecember 27, 2017
WGBH was a great place to work overall but the management in my particular department was poor. They played favoritism to low-skilled workers and did not appreciate quality staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor management and senior level staff