WGL Employee Reviews

WG review
Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Administrator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 24, 2018
Different departments vary widely in treatment of employees, and opportunities for advancement within some departments are virtually non-existent. When I first began, people seemed much happier than today. There is a degree of uncertainty regarding how things will change after the Alta Gas merger concludes.
Pros
Benefits and vacation
Cons
Often abysmal managers/supervisors. Nepotism
Good Ole Boy
Technician 2nd Class (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 14, 2018
If you are not one of the good ole boys, you are liable to end up on the chopping block....no matter how long you are a part of the staff, I know ppl who were terminated after 20yrs of service
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Undercover racism
Great place
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 26, 2018
WGL is one of the best jobs I ever had. Only down side is the room for advancement. The people are a little weird. Outside of that it was outstanding.
Competitive
End User Computing Intern (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 23, 2017
Great work enviroment ,great people, and good chance of moving up. Good hours ,calls may be a little long but they have great customer to deal with. Good internship experience
Relaxed and comfortable work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJune 29, 2017
Great work enviroment ,great people, and good chance of moving up. Good hours ,calls may be a little long but they have great customer to deal with. Good with your breaks.
Pros
Free foods, snacks etc.
Cons
Breaks may be a little off.
Very unorganized
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 15, 2017
Processed payments for customers
Placed work orders
Made extensions for customers to pay bills
Provided information on the customers account
Notated the account accordingly
Pros
Vto
Cons
Horrible communication very unorganized
Good
Software Engineer/eService Tester (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 13, 2016
At my current position, I prepare a lot of test data documents and I learn from these reports how to help the company make good decisions and having this important role is really motivating for me. I have an enthusiasm for learning new things or a new way to look at a problem. I am always very happy and available to help, mentor and coach my colleagues when they have a question or need a second opinion.
Good company
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2016
Good company. Great benefits and work life balance. Not the place if you want to move up in your career. People tend to remain in their position for 10+ years.
spent my entire career here
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 17, 2016
Worked until retirement. started at the bottom and worked my way up - was a good career I was on the road all day driving various types of vehicles. extremely good at reading map in the days before computerized mapping.

I always got along well with my co workers and we still occasionally get together.

the hardest part of the job were in the beginning when so much of my work was general labor and the hours were long, long,long
Productive and fun
sale representative (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDApril 8, 2016
A typical day at work was meeting different cultures and teaching them how to save on their utilities also teaching them how to read their utility bills.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
the long walks
A company that is regulated by the state drives different cultures and fi=unctions entirely different from most businesses
Manager, Business Process Review (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 8, 2015
My dream of launching and leading my self-built Lean Six Sigma program is why I came to work for Washington Gas. For two years I have trained, mentored, lead various belts, and delivered on multiple projects of my own. Slowly I was creating this perfect world and a true Six Sigma company. However, all of a sudden and just this week there has been a shift in the decision to stop continuous improvement training and drop the certification of Green belts. As a regulated company, the states of VA, MD and DC give significant financial funding to WGL for numerous reasons to support major initiatives. With this (tax payer money) methodology, it takes away the impact of a strong Six Sigma effort and diminishes the efforts and projects that would reduce the need for state funding.
Pros
People oriented company, family oriented thoughts
Cons
Continuing same old practices of the last 30 years
Productive and a fun place to work
Gas Meter Installer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2015
Today, clean-burning natural gas is the fuel of choice for more than nine out of 10 new home buyers in the Washington metropolitan area and Washington Gas serves more than one million customers throughout the Washington metropolitan region.
truly a humbling experience
Street Representative (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 2, 2014
im just not of fan of outside work, especially when its cold.
Pros
Cons
lazy management
great company
Organization Development Sr. Consultant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 11, 2014
great learning opportunity, little room for growth and expansion
Productive fast pace work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 13, 2014
Enjoyed working here worked with this company for a total of 7 years and enjoyed it very much.
Productive, Good company value.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2013
Very good place to get firm foundation. Very productive, and positive, settle enviroment.
Fast, high paced and challenging job.
SCADA/Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 1, 2013
I was responsible for the communication to various natural gas transmission and distribution systems.
I learned about different types of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems.
A place for advancement
Operations Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 7, 2013
There is never a dull moment and you are always busy and learning new things.
Productive and Adventurous
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 13, 2012
Good company to work for with good benefits and in most jobs there is room for advancement.
Pros
good benefits and will pay for education for advancement within the company.
Good job opportunities
Specialist - Compliance Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Springfield VA.November 7, 2012
Washington Gas offered me many exciting job opppertunities, however after 32 years their was a time for a change.