Wheaton Park District Employee Reviews

Arrowhead made me wish I was dead
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 15, 2018
This was one of the worst and best jobs I worked to be quite honest. One of the managers has their priorities backwards really only cares about the aesthetics that the customers experience.

Things break constantly because of this poor prioritization. The place is falling apart at the pipes. If you are around when something goes wrong expect there to be yelling from the same aforementioned manager (though at may just be about the situation, not necessarily at you).

The servers are pretty clueless when it comes to the dishwashers and as a result can make the job harder/more stressful.

The other managers are very nice and accommodating. They understand or at least have some sense of empathy and will do what they can to make your job easier. They'll jokingly give you a hard time but they do show their appreciation at the end of a task/shift.

Weekends are grueling for second shift. You will most likely work 8 - 11 hours with a constant heavy workload. Weekdays are pretty easy, you should be out by 11 PM if you work second shift.

Most people do not like working here, as a result moral is not good. Everyone wants to leave and many don't care if what they do makes you stay longer. Dishwashers are some of the last employees out the door.

There are many temp worker in dish. As a result, some can get away with not caring and you can be short workers if they decide not to show up.

There is one dishwasher in particular that thinks they owns the dish room. They don't, they are your coworker, argue with them if you wish.

This job is going to leave you soaked. Wear
  more... comfortable shoes that can get wet and won't fall apart. Seriously, the comfort aspect is just as important as the non-slip aspect.  less
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Uncertain end-times, Stressful
Slow paced and stressful
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 24, 2018
A typical day as a lifeguard at rice pool consisted of rotating between 8-10 guard stations around the pool every 30 minutes with breaks after every 3 rotations. On breaks, guards were responsible for responding to any emergency that may occur. Management rotated between 6 individuals throughout the hours in a week. Many friendships were formed between guards as we had no choice but to sit together of breaks.
Pros
Friendships with other guards and managers
Cons
Compensation
Good start
Referee Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 20, 2018
It’s a good start for young adults. I only had a couple shifts a week, so it wasn’t nearly enough when I needed more advancement or money. I wanted more from the staff and managers, but it was only part-time.
Pros
Easy and fun
Cons
Slow and no advancement
Great place to work for those who enjoy being active
Cite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILFebruary 22, 2018
The work environment was laid back and enjoyable. The co-workers were great to talk to as well. Scheduling was always messed up; aside from the messed up schedules, the job was great.
Water Park Staff (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 29, 2017
WPD is a great place to work during high school and college. They are flexible and you learn a lot. Great people and great management. I enjoyed my time there.
Decent place to work if a student.
seasonal grounds crew (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 14, 2017
Good job for a seasonal position. Solid work hours and chances for overtime. Some volunteering is required. Some full time employees are disrespectful.
Pros
Work hours. Job security
Productive learning experience
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 14, 2017
The Wheaton Park District was an amazing workplace to be apart of. I learned many necessary skill such as construction, customer service, and personal relations. I worked on the construction crew building newer parks in the city of Wheaton for handicapped people. Management was truly able to work with every employee to meet their needs. This job was an excellent summer job I took in between semesters in college.
Pros
Great environment to work in; love the people
Cons
Low Pay
Wheaton Park District Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILDecember 29, 2016
I was a camp counselor for more than one camp (ages varied from 3-12 years). In every position, coworkers were friendly and nice to work with. Daily activities were varied and kept interesting. Supervisors are well chosen.
Fun job, not well paying, but enjoyable nonetheless
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 30, 2016
I worked only in the mornings and then from time to time I would give private lessons at night. The managers were all really cool people and I never had any problems with them. I never had problems if I needed to take a day off. The worst part was trying to teach a kid who liked to run away. Otherwise it was a really fun job.
Pros
Free donuts if you are early
Cons
sometimes it was really cold
Great Job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 24, 2016
I loved being a camp counselor. I thought the job was a lot of fun and great for a college student during the summer. It did not feel as if I was working at times.
Fun, competitive environment that encourages inclusion
Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILMarch 5, 2016
Once a week I would organize a volleyball practice for a small group of pre-teen girls. Because the Wheaton Park District is so inclusive, the hardest part of the job was learning how to handle those who were not as coachable. I learned creative alternatives to describing certain skills and drills. I really enjoyed working with the girls and creating a team-first attitude.
fun learning coaching skills
I would coach the kids (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILOctober 10, 2015
being a referee is fun, you learn how to take control of and entire basketball court and learn basketball calls and communicating skills as well, its not a hard job its real simple and smooth and you also learn to work with different age groups.
Pros
learning to coach, and have fun at the sametime
Cons
nothing bad about the job
kept you busy
Park Maintenance Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 27, 2015
if you enjoy working outdoors it was a great place to be. most everyone was hired at part time and was not given benefits. when a full time position opened everyone would apply and they would pick someone they liked not based on their work performance. if they did not like you they would got out of their way to make sure to get rid of you
Pros
out doors, variety of different things to do ona daily basis
Cons
manangement and benefits
A wonderful place to work along with an amazing staff.
Customer Service & Cash Handling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, IllinoisDecember 24, 2013
Mangagement as well as co-workers are very pleasant to work with. I love the variety of duties; keeping you on your toes. Also as first point of contact in a busy Park District Community Center, I have met and helped many interesting people.
Pros
Imrf, positive working environment
Cons
healthcare, part-time
Great company because their main goal was to make the community happy
BASEBALL UMPIRE (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILOctober 8, 2013
The WPD also know as the Wheaton Park District is absolutely great. Each day i worked i would umpired baseball games from ages 10-14. The parents were all great and never had any type of problem with any of them. I learned that when you bring a smile to a young kids face is one of the best feelings someone could have.
I also learned that being a leader and a great role model is very important to younger kids. The hardest part of the job was maintaining and completing the job on a hot summer day. And as i mentioned before the best part of the job was bringing smiles to the players as well as the coaches and fans.
A lively outdoor setting centered around public aquatics
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILAugust 14, 2013
As a lifeguard, I was taught the best rescue and resuscitation procedures in order to ensure the safest environment possible for all our patrons.
Pros
Frequent shifts in positions to avoid fatigue and maintain focused
Cons
Physically taxing over long periods of time
Fun and Encouraging Workplace
Hola Amigos Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJune 20, 2012
I really enjoyed all of the work that I have done at the Wheaton Park District. They offered me a unique experience and gave me a lot of freedom to create and teach programs that I really believed in. My superiors were very encouraging and pushed me to be inventive. I really appreciate everything that the Wheaton Park District has done to help me get experience and get started on my career path.
Pros
experience
Cons
far commute