Wheeling Hospital Employee Reviews

Challenging and interesting
Unit Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 27, 2018
I was completely out of my comfort zone when I took the job. There was extensive training that was very informative and made me feel more comfortable. The benefits were the best I've ever had.
Pros
Steady hours and excellent benefits
Cons
Fast paced and stressful
Management is not very helpful when employee is having problems
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 13, 2018
I enjoyed many aspects of my job while at the Continuous Care Center. Once I was moved from there to the business office under different management, muy job became very unpleasant. I found there were quite a few employees who were able to get away with doing nothing which was very hard to put up with.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
Poor management
ok place to work
MEDICAL RECORDS CLERK (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 5, 2018
This is an ok place to work. There is a lot of room for advancement. I was a lot younger when I worked there so the pay may possibly be a lot better.
Pros
Chance for advancement
Cons
low paying
I feel as though I should not have left
Division Director (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 5, 2018
After having my position for 8 months, it became routine. The routine part is good in this instance as it allowed for work/life balance. My direct report CEO did a fine job.
Poor management, lazy employees
Certified Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 30, 2017
Wheeling Hospital Lab is poorly managed and ran. I have worked at a few hospitals and other than the pay this ranks at the bottom of my list. They are under staffed and not trained well at all. Experience means nothing at Wheeling Hospital, they like to hire young inexperienced people with no work ethic.
Pros
they pay on experience
Cons
they do not like to hire people with experience
good place to work just ignore the favoritism
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 29, 2017
good place to work just ignore the favoritism. there is lots of favoritism within the company. over all good place to work. there health care was not very good the most expensive and covered very little was the largest con.
Pros
wage
Cons
heath plan, favoritism, unfriendly people
heavy patient load
Medical/Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 15, 2017
RNs have a 6-7 to 1 ratio on medical floors regardless of patients acuity level. NAs typically have 7-14 to 1 ratio. Nurses with years of experience are leaving.
Okay place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 14, 2017
Nursing staffing ratios are not the greatest. Many of the seasoned nurses are not friendly towards students and new staff. Hospital does not encourage a friendly learning environment.
Excellent facility to be part of
Staff Podiatrist (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVDecember 5, 2017
I do not intend to leave Wheeling Hospital as I am working two jobs and this resume is in response to a possible contract change at the VA CBOC Clinic
Stressful and alot of favoritism
Nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 12, 2017
I worked for Wheeling hospital for about four months. I was a nursing assistant which you don't have to be certified they had me doing all kinds of things that a nursing assistant shouldn't be doing at least not without the proper certification! They hire you for a certain floor and when someone calls off they will constantly pull you where ever coverage is needed. Working there was nothing but a stressful environment.
Fast paced job
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 10, 2017
I work in a fast paced Urology office in which I enjoy assisting the physician w/office cystos, obtaining complete medical histories from patients. I have learned how to perform urodynamic studies. I change catheters on patients monthly when pts arrive to office. I call patients to give them their results of their urinalysis specimens.
Great place to obtain experience
Medical Assistant/ED Registrar (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 8, 2017
Upper management is out for the money only. Patient care and safety is lacking due to not enough staff. High turnover rate in ALL departments due to management's attitudes for employees and patients. Workers are not happy but have no other options due to where they choose to live. Therefore hostile working can arise. The hospital to get discount on services if you use this facility.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Working conditions and attitudes
High stress job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 6, 2017
Work life balance is impossible without a steady schedule. The hospital is a great place to work if they would give you a steady schedule and equal pay.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
No breaks and almost no lunch break.
Acceptable
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 2, 2017
Main issues were administration not wanting to spend more money than absolutely needed, and lack of clear communication between departments. Some fellow staff members can also be very rude (though this is obviously not always the case).
Smoothly Ran ED
Staff RN Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 1, 2017
Top notch in emergency medicine. If you are assigned a trauma or MI or stroke patient, all other patients are reassigned, as it should be. Great sense of teamwork. If you are looking to work in an emergency department, this is the place.
not the best place to work
intern (Former Employee) –  wheelingOctober 30, 2017
work is not distributed properly and people are not being tasked with the work that they are paid to do over all the work experience there was sub par
great place to work
ER RN (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVOctober 19, 2017
wheeling hospital is full of friendly staff who are also very helpful. i am only leaving due to obtaining a different degree. i will miss wheeling hospital tremendously.
Proceed with caution
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVOctober 4, 2017
Very fast paced, stressful, and not enjoyable work environment. Employees do not feel valued by their managers. Pay is low compared to what is expected of the job.
Gossiping and backstabbing
Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVSeptember 26, 2017
ER registration is a joke, the supervisor needs to get a back bone and stick up for her employees. Instead she's to busy listening to the thing that calls herself a manager, and has no idea what she's doing. They treat older employees that actually do their job and go to work horrible and listen to little girls that are only there temporarily. If the manager doesn't like you she will do anything in her power to fire you or make you quit. And they try to deny your unemployment if you are terminated. The worst management I've ever worked under!!
Avoid at all costs
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVSeptember 20, 2017
The pay and benefits offered are fantastic... If you're willing to sacrifice your sanity. Completely cutthroat, uncaring facility that's driven by the bottom line. Don't let the fact that this is a "Catholic" hospital fool you. The practices that go on here are anything but what the hospital tries desperately to represent itself as.
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
Everything other than the pay and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wheeling Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

4.8Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Wheeling Hospital Reviews by Location