Whelan Security Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Whelan has provided me with a career advancement
Field Supervisor Quality AssuranceSupervisor (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 15, 2018
Whelan is a place where the managers are professional and care about their employees. The main thing that sticks out about this company is how they make sure you are well prepared before moving into a new position.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
traveling
An average day at work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 13, 2018
i work for whelan at southwest and the work enviroment is good the work its self is not stressful but the people i work with can make it more then what its is
Pros
nice people at southwest
Cons
whelan employees they can be to much
Whelan is for college student, retirees and laid back individuals
Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2018
The positions at whelan security is laid back. You get your days off that you request typically. There are no pay raises and no chance of changing your schedule for educational, professional or personal reasons.
A job with consistent pay and hours.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
I feel like whelan can do better managing and be more reasonable with the pay wages. Employees should be awarded for consistency put in over the months and especially years.
Great Company
Unarmed Special Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 10, 2018
This company has given me the tools I needed to advance in the security field which I believe is very promising. Most posts are decent. The people are absolutely intolerable. The back and forth and gossip on posts. The bickering amongst officers and managers is out of control. Officers bringing personal business to work...
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Quick and easy to learn over time atmosphere
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 9, 2018
I honestly think after only working a few doubles that at whelan. You must be ready for the different types of people you will encounter as a part of the team or customer.
My daily activities and job duties.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
My typical day of work is to monitor cctv, alarm monitors, 911 call monitor, issue keys and radios, provide a watchful eye of the entire property. I sometimes patrol the property and check the pedestrian gates card readers and emergency phones.
Pros
5 star facility
Cons
no advancement
Workplace
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72201August 6, 2018
My time there was great.. i love the management the people i worked for were great! The pay was bad and no advancement or pay raise! Had to move on!
Pros
the people
Cons
Pay
Whelan Security was a great company to work for
Field Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 6, 2018
I enjoyed my career with Whelan security. I ended me career with Whelan Security hired Allied Barton senior management personnel, who then hired additional Allied Barton personnel who no longer carried about client or staff relationships, but focused on their performance numbers. Whelan Security is a family owned and run company who cares for their personnel at the top most levels, but branches were being miss managed and abandoned by overpaid VP's.
Pros
Training and promotion opportunities
Cons
Branch level managers don't care about personnel.
1 day of work a wk.
Security officer @ Nissan Stadium (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 4, 2018
You usually go to work around 2 pm and it usually last 8 to 10 hrs. So you get off work around midnight. You work special events, and football games. The stadium food is good, but expensive.
Pros
You might get to see the event
Cons
You might not get to see the event, depending on where your station at.
Slow place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MSAugust 1, 2018
They were always understaffed and you could get as many hours as you wanted. Insurance was relative expensive for the wages. Easy work and you were able to meet new people on a daily basis.
Pros
able to get as many hours as you wanted
Cons
benefits to expensive
Average Company
Security Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 31, 2018
Due to the pool from which officers come and the lack of an organized structure, use them as a stepping stone. They low bid to win contracts, then forget you exist.
Very bad company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 30, 2018
Poor management. Corporate office threatens employees. Company forces employees to work in unsafe conditions. Office personnel allows client to harass and threaten security guards.
Na
Officer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSJuly 25, 2018
Pretty ok job. Three shifts and for the most part you get to pick one. Pay is trash and raises are nonexistent. And pray that you have decent supervisors and project managers.
Great work environment
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 23, 2018
I worked with a great team and job site itself was a very structured and easy to learn as far as responsibilities go. One recommendation would be to hire flex officers to cover time off requests, call offs, and as well special assignments requested by the client.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
schedule not flexible and not many openings (positions)
Poor management
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TnJuly 23, 2018
No comment. If you can't find a job go to Whelan. When you get a job at Whelan, look for a better job. Management doesn't care about you or there client's. This creates a hostile environment and no accountability.
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 22, 2018
Whalen security was a great security guard organization. I have worked for them for over 7 years and had great relationship with all team members as well as our clients. Unfortunately, the location where I worked got closed and I lost my job. Looking forward to join them if a position becomes available with them.
Job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 20, 2018
Not a good company to.work .not go place to work but of I would go back under new management .....but people I was working with waa kool as a fine it's waa just upper class people
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Lack of commocation
Easy
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 14, 2018
I was not really interviewed for this position. I had a friend that offered me a job. I went in and talked to the head of security we hit it off and then when I went to Whelan they just had me sign papers.
Standard security employer that treats people fairly well
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA 52404July 13, 2018
I didn't mind my time with Whelan as I was treated well by most members of management and most of my coworkers. The work is not overly stressful, but, as with most security work, is extremely dull. The hours were reasonable, the pay fair enough for the field, and the day to day was bearable.
Pros
Flexible schedules, several positions available, reasonable management, competitive pay for the field
Cons
Work through lunch no matter how busy, training is somewhat lacking, can be called at any time to cover another shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

40out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Whelan Security.

Powered by Comparably