Whelan Security Employee Reviews

It's fun working as contract security with Fannie Mae
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 7, 2018
The hardest part of this job is the fact that you have to patrol a 17 floor building every 30mins of your shift. The enjoyable thing is the proactiveness of the security control center (SCC) which makes the job much easier for us.
Wonderful management
Lead Badging Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 6, 2018
I enjoy working for Whelan. They do a great job managing their staff and I like that their upper management staff comes into the office to check on their employees. Very friendly working environment.
Work wxperience varies
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
They dont care about their workers I feel like their users , & they cut your hours when you tell them you not available to work a shift for them amongst other things.
I'd recommend it
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 28, 2018
All in all it's been a pretty good experience. I've learned and achieved a lot since starting for the company. They allow you to move up which is pretty good. Still needs improvement in certain areas like benefits
Bland.
Security Site Lead (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 27, 2018
This is a good filler job. If you are otherwise unemployed, this works. However, past that, it does little.

I am a "lead-type officer on the site" - a position that a half year into the role I still have no idea what the job duties entail. I was hired as a security guard and "promoted" during the 1st two weeks. I have been rigorous with emails to check the status, but it's a different excuse each time. At this point, I've lost hope.

Our CSM is useless. They run through CSMs like a baby with dirty diapers. I can't speak for other areas, but I'd probably ask to sit down and talk with CSM during your interview/before you accept your offer to get a feel for what they are like. A good CSM I would imagine would make the job more enjoyable.

The schedule is great - with my particular position. That's one of the few saving graces, and probably the reason I haven't thrown my hands up and said "later!".

The benefits package is horrible.
Vacation/Sick Leave (or lack thereof) - you get a week's pay deposited into your bank account after 1 year with the company. That's it for leave!

Vision, Dental, Health - vision and dental are standard plans. No complaints, but they don't get any honorable mentions, either. Health insurance is where they really get you. I'm a young guy, my health insurance is EXPENSIVE. More so than any other employer i've ever worked for. Also, your premium varies based on your salary/hourly rate and the amount of hours you worked. So if you worked 88 hours one pay period, your health insurance will be more expensive than it already is. Is that even
  more... legal?

401(k) - can't afford this. Health insurance is too expensive. They do offer a plan though. I never did get a final word on what the company matched, if anything.

Uniforms and equipment are cheap. Like cheap cheap. They don't fit well, you can tell they went with the lowest bidder. They also require you put a deposit on your uniforms as well. $200. You get it back, provided you don't leave the company within 180 days.

There's not much room for advancement. The positions that you could theoretically put in for kind of suck. I think the CSM, which is the next level past site supervisor, gets paid less than the site supervisor. No wonder they have a hard time finding good help.

This place has burnt me out.
Pros
Depending on the site, free lunches.
Cons
expensive healthcare, lack of communication between management and employees.
Slow paced work, fun at times, stressful at times.
Security Guard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 24, 2018
It was a ok place to work. My direct supervisors were great people to work for. There were other super's that stab people in the back, but I would try to stay on the good side of this person. That was the only negative thing during my time with Whelan.
Pros
Sometimes free food.
Cons
Back stabbing supervusors.
Productive and Advanceable
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 23, 2018
Checking Identification cards of employees and checking in visitors. Walking the building and verifying secured areas, (classified and unclassified). Patrolling the grounds and other two sites.
Pros
Security of employment
stress work place
Mount Juliet, TN - Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNFebruary 22, 2018
I worked in two parts of Whelan Security, one at Nissan and the other at Under Armour. Meaning that I was able to see management from two different people within the company and still was not satisfied.
Nice place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 21, 2018
A good place to work, everyone for the most part gets along. The pay isn`t very good, but the job itself is good. You can move up in rank fast. The job is boring sometimes.
Very active an engaging..
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 18, 2018
Love the job working around great employees, fun fans at fun events. Get to interact an have a great time while doing your job. Wonderful job overall only problem is your not paid enough..
Pros
Able to go to great events
Cons
Dont get paid enough
Good
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 18, 2018
Everyone is great. I love working there had some hard times just need a second job nothing bad to say I love my bosses they are understanding and they make you want to work
N/a
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 16, 2018
This is a job that is good to supplement your income. However, the pay is not great and management is not the best. I worked security while I was in school and I am grateful for the experience.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
pay sucks
productive job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSFebruary 10, 2018
I like working alone. The hours was great for me because I have a full time job where I work 40 hours a week for that job.

I also like working a various sites.
Pros
made my own lunch hours
Cons
no benefits
Whelan Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
Whelan was my first security job. When I worked for Whelan they were very nice and helpful. By this being my first "real" job with a major comany they really made things easy for me and guided me along the way. The building I was placed at was a smaller building filled with lawyers and accountants and was a great place to work. The property mangement were so nice and the tenants were too. I miss my little old building,
security guard
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 9, 2018
At the location I was at with Whelan Security I was happy and loved my job. It was a very fast paced job but I worked with really nice people and enjoyed my job.
Pretty routine
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 8, 2018
Pretty basic we dressed up in uniform was clean shaved but it was not to intense. It was mismanaged after the the 1st manager left they just through random people as a manager went through a lot of them.
Pros
Was not to strict it to hard of a workplace
Cons
Not much room for advancement, at the time we were not thinking we would go hire than 10 dollars an hour
only care when they use you
Concierge/Security (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2018
I enjoyed working with Whelan Security, there contract was lost at my building and they didn't care about me. It was either become a SRO again and receive a reduction in pay after i worked so hard to become permanent with benefits, or go with the new company.
i felt as though they didn't care at all about me, after all the doubles, staying over, coming in on my day off.
Whelan Security
Safety and Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 7, 2018
They were a very nice company to work for if it was your first security job. It was a nice place to gain security experience. The pay wasn't as good as other companies.
Pros
Nice and relaxed place to start your security career
Cons
Pay and benefits are lacking
n/a
promise of delivering outstanding customer service (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 7, 2018
• I worked hard, provided outstanding customer service, lived up to their core values which were, truth-telling, respect, empowerment, discipline, leadership, flexibility, and quality assurance results
• Came to work in a neat clean uniform
• I was held to a strong commitment to conduct quality service
• I dedicated myself to employee engagement, and the promise of delivering outstanding customer service
Bad business
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 6, 2018
I thought I wanted to join the team until they told me I couldn't join at the airport position, because I already had a job out there to begin with. All I was trying to do was make enough money to support my family and me, but now I have to find either less pay with Whelan elsewhere or quit them!
Pros
Good benifits for 35 bucks
Cons
Policies need to change

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whelan Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

40out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Whelan Security.